So many OD's so little money...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deovinde11, Sep 30, 2008.

1. deovinde11

deovinde11 Member

OK so here is my set-up as of this very moment:

SG-->VPjr-->Whammy-->Maxon808-->DD-5-->DL4-->Verbzilla-->Mesa Rectoverb 50w head-->Orange 2x12

Here is my situation:

I have a Menatone King of the Britains on the way, and also possibly a Fulltone OCD v3. I have an attachment to my Maxon, I love it. But will I be able to keep it tonally or will it be redundant? (I realize I will just have to wait and try everything out but I'm just curious what you guys think)

2. DamageInc.

DamageInc. Active Member

From my experience with maxon gear it never becomes redundant. In your situation you have to decide if the OCD or the KOTB is gonna be your "crunch" sound. Your ts808 will compliment which ever you choose. You can use the ts808 as a boost for solos or by itself for great thick mid humping tones.

I had both the OCD and the KOTB and both were lacking tone wise.

3. deovinde11

deovinde11 Member

when you say they were both lacking tone wise what didnt you like about them? Also what did you get to replace them?

4. DamageInc.

DamageInc. Active Member

The KOTB had way to much high end and sounded thin. I was missing "guts". I just couldnt get it to "rev up" licke a marshall amp. The OCD on the other hand sounded to thick and muddy. I just couldn't dial it in right. It had guts but just wasnt voiced the way I would like a hard driving mid gain pedal should.

For the price of it the MI Audio crunch box is superb. IMHO it beats both of these. The wampler pinnacle II is also awesome. I would recommend either pedal for marshall tones. Before you buy the wampler pinnacle II become a member of his mailing list and get a great discount, i think 40 -50 bucks.

I am using my Maxon OD820 for mid gain sounds and a carl martin for AC-tone for vox sounds (awesome pedal!) into a fender 4x10 hot rod deville amp. For straight out marshall I go the pinnacle II first. I have a Zvex BOR coming, so I will see how that goes.

5. deovinde11

deovinde11 Member

just curious, what kind of amp are you playing through? And also have you compared an 808 to the 820, how do they differ?

6. deovinde11

deovinde11 Member

bump for more opinions!

7. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I don't see the Maxon as being redundant. I have a modded Ts-9 as well as a v3 OCD and I like both for different reasons. If I could only use one od, it would be the OCD, though. Absolutely kills with my strat-- huge range of useable sounds and plenty of "girth." It's a fantastic box.

8. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Ive never tried the KOB and didnt own the OCD when I had my recto-verb but of the many OD,s I did own when I had the ROV,, the 808 seemed to work the best with it. For some reason they just seemed to work real well together. Keep the 808

9. deovinde11

deovinde11 Member

yeah I most likely will keep it, even though right now I'm not playing much heavy stuff, nothing sounds heavier than the dirt channel boosted by that 808 mmmmmm