so many overdrives i need help!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jack butler, Dec 5, 2005.

1. jack butler

jack butler Member

okay guys throw it my wAy.
    i need some suggestion on an overdrive
    just know this going in to it, i keep my super hard on on all of the time, not cranked but just for a little extra sparkle

should i buy a timmy
    or how bout a langraff
    fulldrive or ocd
    or maybe one of the exotic pedals
    thanks

2. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

All those you have mentioned get lots of praise. Buy as many as you can until you have the one closest to what you're hearing inside. My new favorite is the Keeley Flexi.

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I haven't tried as many ODs as a lot of folks around here but my currrent favorite is the new Barber Direct Drive into a clean or semi-clean amp for good ole' classic rock crunch.

4. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I too love my Barber Direct Drive. However, Its not a "add sparkle" type of overdrive IMHO. If its sparkle you desire, buy the Fulltone Full Drive 2 and you're done. I have one as well, along with a Boss Blues Driver (Keeley mod'ed) and a Chandler Tube Driver.

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

You should try a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate O/D.
    Its essentially a tubescreamer plus a seperate dist for when you need it,
    Boss OD-3 is good too.
    You cant beat the classics.

6. webb

webb Member

What kind of sound are you looking for? I think that's the most important place to start. With that said, check out the love pedal eternity:D

7. bullet69

bullet69 Member

lovepedal.com check out seans stuff

8. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

The Zendrive!!!

Just check these pages (and Jan 06 Guitar Player review) for the talk on this great pedal. It is not hype!

It will give you such a versitile range of tones, with a beautiful, smooth, full bottom and mid range, and precise clarity which build upon the best elements of the sound of your amp and guitar. The notes just bloom beautifully, and it is such a dynamic pedal. People have compared it to $20,000 amps (such as Dumble), and other high end boutique amps like Fuchs.

Do yourself a favour and check out the reviews in this forum, the Guitar Player and The UK "Guitarist" mag review in Jan 06 issue.

Happy playing:)

Cheer's,

DD

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

jack-
    I play a '65 DRRI with the sho on at the end of the chain too to get to that sweet spot at lower volumes too. I used to use a fulldrive, but I am now using a analog man modded sd-1, silver! Very nice, the only thing I don't like is the buffered tone. It isn't bad, but it is noticeable.

Try a silver mod ts9 from him, that and the sho........ :jo

I am keeping my sd-1, but considering his maxon od1 tube screamer, "silver: of course!

10. dosmun

dosmun Member

What type of sounds are you looking for?