So many speaker options. Please help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by megatrav, Jun 23, 2019.

1. De Batz

De Batz Member

@Tommy_G is a big fan. I've never seen any for sale in Europe since he recommended them to me. I think they're partway between an M and an H magnet...

Tommy_G likes this.
  2. megatrav

megatrav Supporting Member

Avatar has those as well. I listened to a few videos on youtube where they were in shoot outs.

There was one where it was the Celestion A-type, V-type, and G12-35xc. The V-type actually sounded best in that comparison to me. Which is saying something since I don't like that speaker much. Although I have heard it sound good in some amps and would probably work well in a dark, scooped amp. (It sounds a lot better with Channel 2 than Channel 1 on the Blackstar)

3. megatrav

Looks like Two Rock offers their 1265b speakers separate from their amps as well.
    I believer theirs is the G12-65 variant with a larger magnet. $119 as well.
    May have to consider this one as well

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  4. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

In some amps greenbacks sound too congested and the 70th Anni simply harsh andcrequures 10 years of breakin.

The XC is awesome straight out if the box.. bright clear and present and not harsh. It is like a Oa loudspeaker in its detail and frankly I love it for acoustic amplification also.

Big spectrum tone.. a 55 Hz speaker cone that goes to 7kHz. Pre Rola Cele character .. you realize that cele got its name from speakers like this.. there is a twinkling type sparkle in the presence frequencies.

It has quite flat mids with a little more sing in it than most Celes.. I am no speaker expert ( as I have only tried maybe 10 different speakers over the years) but I put it between a Jensen P10r and EVM with cele prerola character. My opinion is you cannot get better than that positioning.

My favorite from Cele and generally as impressive in its own way as Scumback's flagship M75.. those two speakers give me 90% of what Im looking for. M75 for classic and XC for detailed general utility tones done very nicely.

Its one disadvatage is it is 100dB. One pair of 6v6s is plenty with one XC. If it were 94 to 96 dB it would be unbeatable.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    megatrav likes this.
  5. megatrav

That is some good information on this speaker. I will revisit this.

To be honest, I don't know anything about Pre-Rola speakers or how they are different.
    All of my experience with any speakers from Celestion were models that came much later.

6. megatrav

Just wanted to post an update-

I have changed direct a bit since my last post.

My main contenders are the Fane-Avatar M65 and H75, and Scumback m75.

Based on clips I've heard and the IRs I have, it would be nice to get a re-issue/original/clone of the Fane 122231 speaker, but it seems like they only definitive clone is the one that Hi-Tone has.
    I emailed them and they basically told me they aren't selling them outside of their cabinets anymore and recommended (in their words) the more aggressive DR-F that they have or (not the same, but similar) Eminence V12 Legend. Which I know is affordable, doesn't sound like that speaker to my ears.

I also emailed Fane to ask them what they would recommend, but have no heard anything back yet.

7. Rococco

Rococco Member

Two of my faves and happen to fits into your specs: ET65 & Alnico Creamback

megatrav likes this.
  8. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

I just posted in another thread about how much I’m enjoying a Celestion Creamback in my 15w 112 combo. It just edged out my beloved M75 Scumback. Nicely balanced, definitely worth your consideration

megatrav likes this.
  9. megatrav

What gave the creamback the edge over the Scumback? Also, is this the 65 or 75?

abnerfm likes this.
  10. megatrav

Did some experimenting last night:

I move my amp out to the middle of the room so that the back was not right against a wall.
    It really did make it sound a lot better. I should have probably assumed that an open back cabinet would change so dramatically depending on where it is in the room.

So, while I am still looking at some prime contenders to replace the V-type, I feel like I hate it less than I did where it was previously set up. There are still things about it that make me want to try other ones.

Also, unrelated to this discovery, Fane emailed me back.
    They recommended the F70 speaker for what I am wanting.
    I followed up and asked them about the F70G offered in Fryette cabs and the Avatar Fane H75.
    He told me that that F70G is the same speaker modded to the OEM specs they ask for.
    He also told me the the H75 is a different speaker and not the same as the F70 as Avatar advertises.
    I'm not saying anyone is lying, but someone must have been misinformed haha.
    This doesn't take away from the H75's quality or the fact that it is a good speaker that a lot of people like.

11. harvey j

harvey j Member

Go to CE Distribution and you will find it. Or call them

12. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

I swapped an M75 65w Scumback for a G12M 65w Creamback.
    That Scumback has been the go-to speaker for every amp I’ve owned over the past 9 years, it is superb. With the 5e3 though I found the Creamback offered tighter bass, a bit of punch in the low mids and a touch more bite in the upper frequencies. Great with a 335

abnerfm and megatrav like this.
  13. megatrav

Final update,
    I pulled the trigger on a Fane F70G speaker.
    This one is special OEM design for Fryette/Sound City.
    Not entirely sure how different it is from the standard F70 other than in their words "less on the high top end".

I got it for a good deal and it should be here next week sometime.
    I will spend some time and do a before and after recording.

abnerfm and Humble Texan Fan like this.
  14. McGTR

McGTR Member

I would try your Blackstar with a loadbox, and run it into impulse responses of the amps you list and then some. When you find one you like, get the real speaker. Pretty cheap and fast way to find your tone..

megatrav likes this.
  15. mikefair

mikefair Supporting Member

In my experience, almost anything you replace a Vin 30 with will be an improvement. Unless you're playing in a really loud band and have a dense mix to push through, they're just too peaky. You will be very happy with an Avatar Hellatone 30. It sits between a G12H and a Greenback.

megatrav likes this.
  16. megatrav

Thank for those suggestions. I am liking the Fane F70G a lot. The change wasn't as drastic as I thought it would be, but it is noticeable. I have been meaning to do an a/b test, but haven't really had the time lately.

I still like the Celestion V-type speaker and will probably use it for something else in the future.

The Fane is more balanced and bigger sounding. Looking back, I think I may have benefited from the EM12N since it has an even smoother mid-range and is a neo speaker.

I wanted to keep it in the British realm, which is why I went for the Fane.

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  17. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Looking forwards to the A/B once you find the time. I wasn't even aware of the existence of the G

As discussed: a more modern speaker, similar to the EM, would have been less peaky. Two sides to everything, really.

megatrav likes this.
  18. megatrav

I wanted to come back and share my experience with a speaker swap.
    I like the Fane speaker pretty well. It has its own thing going on and doesn't sound like an Celestion I've ever used.

However, since the Fane is noticeably heavier than the V-type I put the V-type back in the amp.

I have band practice scheduled for tomorrow, so I'll get to hear it in the mix. I think the fact that the high end is more tame than the Fane will end up working better with the amp and overall set up

I plan to hang on to the Fane to use in a future project. I want to put it in to a 112 closed back and see how it works there.
    Hopefully, I can use it as a secondary rig, given that I can scoop a lunchbox head for a good price as well.

abnerfm likes this.
  19. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

As suggested: LHDCs could shave off the excessive highs, if sticking with the V type.

In hindsight perhaps e.g. the Avatar M65 would have been more back friendly.

abnerfm and megatrav like this.
  20. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker Member

I've had really good experience with the Eminence JS-1250. Swapped out the V30 in a Traynor YCV40 and it had a much sweeter tone with zero harshness anywhere. The mids were flattened out without disappearing, and the low end got tighter. Beautiful breakup too. Just my $.02.

megatrav likes this.