So, Mesa MK V:25 - Users Thoughts & Feedback ??

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
Before we begin, yes I have done a search and haven't gained a huge amount of feedback (apart from people bitching at each other in the big thread)...

So, I have played one briefly. Like the thought of the head (and loop for my FX8), but I did play an Express 5:25 plus and really liked that. The 'blues' channel I think; can the MK V:25 emulate that ?

Any users thoughts ?

I own a Rambler, Lightning and Lazy J - so my 'clean' standards are high !!!

Darkness

The Mark V 25 I have can get just about any tone I want from it. Honeymoon is way past now, and I'm constantly amazed by this little wonder.

deejayen

I've just looked up this amp - seems really interesting! Has it taken over from the Transatlantic 15, or is it a completely different flavour? I have a TA15 sitting in a cupboard (I play a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue) but I'd be tempted by the Mark V 25 if it had a great clean tone. The reverb would be a useful bonus over the TA15, not to mention the Cab DI etc.

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
I had a V25.
It is a very versatile , good sounding TINY amp. You might have to try it to know if its for you or not. I felt the cleans were probably the strongest tones on the amp. Having said that looking at your amp list Im not sure if they are Carr/Lightning level cleans but this amp can do just about anything.

I didn't hear that "complexity" to the notes like an amp that just does one thing exceptionally well can get. It has to do with signal path I guess and theres a lot going on in the 25. So I guess it comes down to one "stellar" tone or a gig bag full of good ones.

Reverb was good but not foot switchable....something Ill never understand!

Last edited:

LeicaBossNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Before we begin, ...Like the thought of the head (and loop for my FX8), but I did play an Express 5:25 plus and really liked that. The 'blues' channel I think; can the MK V:25 emulate that ?

Any users thoughts ?
I replaced a 5:25 Express combo with the Mark V 25. The biggest thing is that the amp has incredibly powerful controls and a wide range of voices. I personally like quite a few of them. At low volumes and higher volumes, my setting are very different. Even between guitars.

Personally, I prefer the fatter "on the edge" clean sounds from Ch1, voice 2.

The "blues" live in a few places with different flavors for me
Channel 1, voice 1: Brighter, cuts through mix tones with voice 1, gain up and 10W mode with Master near or past 3. Not too much treble or presence.

Channel 1, voice FAT: gain around 9 o'clock, bass before noon, treble around 1' and presence to flavor. 25W power section, master low-ish and cranking the mid boost.

Channel 2, EXTREME: VERY low gain, bass up to 2 o'clock, mids and treble modest, 25W power section, push just to breakup.

The reverb tank is small, so that is okay sounding, not WOW.

I've just looked up this amp - seems really interesting! Has it taken over from the Transatlantic 15, or is it a completely different flavour? I have a TA15 sitting in a cupboard (I play a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue) but I'd be tempted by the Mark V 25 if it had a great clean tone. The reverb would be a useful bonus over the TA15, not to mention the Cab DI etc.
Very different animals. If you try a V 25, jump into channel 1, FAT voice for cleans. At low gain, don't be afraid to goose the Volume a little and run with enough bass to have a juicy sound. Treble affects everything, so dial it to keep the tone tamed, and even roll it back a wee bit, and bring the life and sparkle back with 'presence'. Remember that on channel 1, MIDs at noon = mids a max for most amps. Past that, it is a mid boost.

For fast, funky rhythm, try voice 1 in 10W mode, which compresses faster and fives you some good bite.

Overall, I replaced a Fender Hot Rod 2x12 with a Boogie Mark. I prefer the Mark BUT don't expect to hear a Twin or Deluxe. It has its own vibe.

NoBrakes

I just sold mine... A lot of great tones in the amp. One big negative for me was the placement of the crunch channel.. It's on the first channel with clean. If you want that as your dirt channel the amp becomes a one channel amp and your riding the guitars volume control to get cleans. the Express you can use the blues channel for your clean if you opt for crunch as your dirt channel. I've owned the 5:25 and 5:50 pluses, Mini Rec, Mark V:25, IMO the Mark was the best sounding of the bunch

Ekluksdahl

I have the Mark V 25 and have been super happy with it. I mainly use it live when my wife and I travel.... Very easy to plug direct w/cab clone and go without the hassle of a cab. I plan on getting the larger MKV35 head for our studio.
These little amps just can't be beat.... I do prefer it with a Thiele cab or larger 2x12 rectifier cab when running a cab. Amp sounds huge with them.
I a/b'd the tones from the 25 and larger MKV in a mix, and while the MKV had a bit of a larger sound, the 25 held its own just fine..... In the mix the amps were quite close tonally. Because of this I ditched the larger head.
The clean tone have a bit sweeter sound w/EL84's and there is more sparkle on the gain sounds!

Trending Topics