So much for experience......

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dr. Jimmy, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

I just lost out on being bumped up for a position at work that would be a no-brainer for me. I have 20+ years experience in this field but no degree, the person who got the gig: 23 getting his degree in June and absolutely zero experience apart from being an intern. I was told I will probably be moved into a similar position within a year because I will need to be trained in the meantime (the other guy needs to be trained as well, moreso than me because I already know a lot of the job, whatever....)

I have a gut feeling that when a better opportunity comes along (since this isn't exactly the type of job he wants) he will bail and when he does they'll look to fast track me, at which point my price goes up. In the meantime I'm just gonna come in, do my job and ride it out.

Needless to say, I am quite ticked over the whole thing......

shane8, Scrapperz, FiestaRed and 4 others like this.
  2. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

sucks. show him nothing

Scrapperz and B Money like this.
  3. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

The scary part about this story is that Jimmy is a Doctor - with no degree. :eek:

EarleG, rickcard71, shane8 and 21 others like this.
  4. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I know how you feel and so sorry for that. It's very frustrating. I'm going through a somewhat similar job experience and trying to find another job.

Back in 2002 I joined a very large company as a contractor. I was hired in a year later. 13 months after that I was outsourced... Dammit man. Then I stayed cause it was a good gig, decent pay. My wife at the time also worked for the same company, but she was able to remain a direct hire. She also went back to school.

In 2012, I finally got hired back in to the same company and went back to school as I knew my professional ceiling would be capped without the degree. My ex had just finished school a year prior so it made sense for me to go back.

My ex then moved us to North Carolina to take a promotion. I couldn't find a job at the location in NC so I had to leave, yet again, but made the sacrifice for her career. Less than 2 years later, she decides the job is stressing her out, and finds another job back in Ohio with our same company. Fortunately, I was able to make some contacts and get back in, but yet again as a contractor. This was 2015 now.

In 2017, my ex has her third affair and so we are done. I sacrificed a great career potential for her job.

I finished my degree and have been trying to get back in as a direct hire or find something outside. I didn't go to school to do what I am doing. Yet, it's been a struggle. I have 15 years worth of experience where I'm at. But no one seems to care. Everyone that is coming in the door seem to be young millenials who won't stay. My boss if fighting to get me in, but all i hear are excuses. It's been very frustrating.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    rhumbob, massacre and Dr. Jimmy like this.
  5. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Over the last year I've shown him how to read a ruler, how to solder and de-solder, how to use an ammeter the proper way (he blew out 3 fuses on the meter before I saw what he was doing), how to use an oscilloscope, what taps and dies are used for, how to correctly write a tech report..... He's getting an EE degree.

Scrapperz and MrSteve like this.
  6. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....

shane8, Scrapperz, bluesoul and 6 others like this.
  7. scott58

scott58 Member

Yep even though you could probably teach 1\2 the classes he's gonna take without your own set of papers your pretty much stuck.

8. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

You have to find a company that values experience over certificate.

It can be done, but it's not easy.

9. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist

I've seen that happen several times and has never worked out. Get your resume together and have other opportunites in mind and ready to go after. I'm not saying anything bad will happen just be ready if it does.

Good luck man I hope you get the recognition you deserver!

~ss

10. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Thanks. I'm kind of in that mode already......

shane8 and ShredSquatch like this.
  11. ShredSquatch

I was and didn't act on it and three months later I was laid off! So I tell everyone to be prepared for the worst!

~ss

shane8, massacre and PLX like this.
  12. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

Company loyalty and promotions from within are seemingly something from the past. Significant experience generally cannot be learned in school.

massacre and ShredSquatch like this.
  13. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

Suggestion to the Op: Go and enroll in college at night. The local community college, then move it up to a local University. In less time than you think, you will have your degree. That's a currency nobody will ever take from you. It's doable. Also, school loans are very low interest, and you don't have to pay them back until 6 months after you graduate. The longer you wait, the harder it'll be. It's worth it in today's world.

MrSteve and cajone5 like this.
  14. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Get a degree... Sorry but you should be chipping away at it even if it's one class at a time. ;)

Funny it doesn't even to seem to matter WHAT the degree is... Just that you have one.

MrSteve and ShredSquatch like this.
  15. ShredSquatch

Yep and seems like the new mentality is I can get 3 employees for the price of your experience and I'll take my chances or settle for subpar work and be okay with high turnover as long as some kind of work eventually gets done.:dunno

~ss

shane8, MrSteve and Hacksaw like this.
  16. ShredSquatch

Because of this story and recent experiences I'm thinking of getting a tech certification for programming and maybe get an online MBA.

~ss

shane8 likes this.
  17. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

My wife has an MBA, but over the last 3 years - she studied for and passed a PMP (Project Management) course, and became PMP Certified. That test was a nightmare, but she passed it the first time. Immediately, her stock rose in her company $$$. She recently went back to school AGAIN and received her Six Sigma Green Belt Certification (5 Saturdays). A few weeks ago she started the Six Sigma Black Belt course ('bout a year). That woman can pretty much get a job anywhere, but when she gets her Six Sigma Black Belt - it will open up a whole new world of opportunities.

In today's job market, there's NO more loyalty, and it's really all about who you know and how quickly you adapt to change. She has built up a serious network just from meeting people in those classes. They all assist each other in getting jobs and moving this person to here and that person to there. These people are all connected on LinkedIn and know stuff almost in real time. That's really different from how things were just 10 years ago. Now it's fast fast fast.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  18. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

People also need to make peace with the reality that sometimes, a degree provides access to knowledge and methodologies experience simply doesn't, and that knowledge and understanding of the methodologies are deemed more valuable in the long term.

Having X numbers of years experience in a given job is meaningless if it doesn't give you the knowledge base to do the job you want.

19. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

That's a fair point. But it really depends on the position and or expected description/industry.

20. ShredSquatch

CONFIRMATION!!!! Thanks man that is great to hear about your wifes success and motivates me even more!

I think linkedin is great for exaclty what you described. I've gotten a lot of freelance projects there!

~ss

shane8, PLX and Teal_66 like this.