So my new neighbour tells me to be careful of her dogs...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Moxsam, Feb 20, 2016.

1. aknow

aknow Member

The ignorance around here is appalling.

Crowder likes this.
  2. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

I can understand thinking this way. I have had to deal with this same scenario twice before. I however thought a lot about it, and decided it was not the dogs fault their owner was stupid. Not to mention other animals that could get into antifreeze that are innocent bystanders. In the end I had to call the animal control guys to come out, and they informed the dog owners of the repercussions of having your dog attack someone, especially after a warning from animal control is on file. I initially carried a pistol when walking with my daughter and leashed, non aggressive but protective Siberian Husky around my property and subdivision. I am not the type of person that normally carries a gun, and in no way want to get that conversation started. I however WILL protect my daughter and family from a vicious Pit Bull that charged us numerous times in our own yard. I just didn't want to live in fear, or court after I killed the dog, so I called animal control. I of course tried talking to the owner first, but to no avail. Good luck.

3. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

My stock response to asshats who let their dogs run loose here in the city and tell me "not to worry" is: " no worries! I'd do to your dog waaaay worse than it could ever do to me". I think it would be the same comment to the OP's dipshit neighbor.

I wouldn't hesitate to call Animal Control for unleashed dogs especially on my property. Asshats need to learn sometime, now seems like a great time.

4. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

What if OP doesn't want a fence? Fences can be costly. To build and maintain. Especially if there is acreage involved.

They can be unsightly, depending on your esthetic.

Not everyone has a couple grand to drop due to a bad neighbor.

Borrow or CL a couple porta kennels, buy a pack of hot dogs, and have animal control or a deputy come collect the stray dogs.

Bradleyonmic and VCuomo like this.
  5. davess23

davess23 Member

Tell your wonderful new neighbor that she may want to make sure her pups don't dig up any of that rat-poison-soaked beef you've begun burying in your yard.

What's wrong with this woman? That's a real sociopath's world view she's got there.

6. S1Player

S1Player Member

Another vote.

This woman has come to the conclusion that it's OK to have large breed, possibly aggressive dog running around. Common sense dictates this is a bad idea, yet she does it. There is nothing you can say, no line of reasoning that's going to change that. Even if you got her to agree to anything regarding controlling the dogs - you still can't trust that she will actually follow through consistently. And, it only takes one time of her not doing what she agreed to.

So, do what you can control. Get a fence (I'd say vinyl for low maintenance) tall enough the dogs can't jump it. And secure below it so they can't dig under it.

"Good fences make good neighbors" isn't just a saying.

p19978 and VCuomo like this.
  7. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

You don't want to wait until something happens.

Put up a fence.

8. Madison

Madison Member

Sounds like the neighbor before you (person you bought your house from) let the ladies dogs run all over their yard? It's almost like a squatter mentality...her dogs were free to roam on adjacent property for years, until you came along and messed things up. Hope that's not the case, otherwise you may be residing beside a lunatic.

9. Structo

Structo Member

Somebody mentioned documenting the dogs running at large.

Good idea to film and record any interaction as well as the dogs running through your yard.

I found out our local dog control was a joke.
    One officer for the entire county at the time.
    We got attacked by a Rottie when we were walking our dogs, on leashes.
    The dog ran out of a garage and attacked us.
    The officer said if the dog had bit me or my wife, she could do something but as far
    as biting our dogs (which he did) she couldn't do a thing......

Funny thing is, we actually got a Rottie a few years later.
    She is the most loving goofball you would ever meet.

But she has a great bark and that is good for home security.

10. p19978

p19978 Member

In Kentucky:

258.235 Authority to kill or seize dog; return by court to owner of vicious dog; liability for damage; proceeding by person attacked by dog; disposition of dog after seizure; powers of animal control officer; vicious dog not to run at large

(1) Any person, without liability, may kill or seize any dog which is observed attacking any person.

(3) Any dog determined to be vicious by a court and allowed to be returned to an owner shall be confined in a locked enclosure at least seven (7) feet high or a locked kennel run with a secured top. The dog may leave the enclosure only to visit the veterinarian or to be turned in to an animal shelter. The dog shall be muzzled if leaving the enclosure for either of these purposes.

(4) Any owner whose dog is found to have caused damage to a person, livestock, or other property shall be responsible for that damage.

Bradleyonmic likes this.
  11. music321

music321 Member

Something like this looks fairly inexpensive. It's just practical and simple:

[​IMG]

12. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

If you've ever seen an animal die from antifreeze, it's not a pretty death. It's a slow, agonizing death for the animal. A poor dumb animal whose problem is its owner.
    Yeah, if my kids got hurt by an animal I'd shoot it, no problem. But poison it?

13. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I don't think anyone is seriously proposing that the OP poison the neighbor's dogs. Poisoning the clueless neighbor, on the other hand,...

Bradleyonmic and Tommy Biggs like this.
  14. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Member

I didn't mean to advocate actually poisoning the dogs. I was just thinking that casually mentioning it might be enough to get the dogs' owner to watch after them better.

It's definitely the owner's fault, and the dogs shouldn't be harmed.

15. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

I was pretty sure that's what you meant, as it was my thinking when it was the first thing I thought of when I dealt with this same situation. I am an animal lover big time. I figured the people would tell everyone that threatened to kill their dog, and even though not serious, I don't want anyone thinking of me as that kind of person. Plus with my luck the dog would've died of natural causes the very next day, and imagine trying to explain that one to the cops. If dog owners only had half of the common sense their dogs have, there'd be no problem.

cj_wattage likes this.
  16. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

It's especially practical if you used real gold plating, because it wouldn't oxidize. Think of the money you'd save on paint!

84superchamp and pickaguitar like this.
  17. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Member

To be honest, I was mostly being hyperbolic for the sake of entertainment. I would never say that to anyone. I would just passive-aggressively make trouble for them with animal control, if they didn't seem like they were interested in working with me directly. :)

18. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

Why not politely suggest she get an invisible fence for the dogs--it has to be cheaper than a full blown above ground fence.

19. rsm

rsm Member

children > dogs.

amazing your neighbor missed this equation.

20. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

to OP ^

I say this with compassion and concern; WAY WAY too many red flags!

You need a formal complaint or statement of concern registered with some authority right now, not AFTER you're trying to save up money for advanced facial reconstruction surgeries. I'm not being flippant; get it handled got your family's sake.