• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

So, necks with dead spots and headstock shaving...

Cal Webway

Like when Roger Rossmeisl at Fender cut meat off a bass headstock with a strong dead spot, eliminating it.
And other stories/proponents of the hdstock surgery to mitigate dead spot(s). Talking electrics:

Aside from the 'looks,' why wouldn't headless guitars and basses be more common?
Isn't is about the sound?

Last edited:

T Dizz

Don't they take double ball end strings? or just some? So you'd need special strings?

Cal Webway

Yes, that plays into it... a little.

But, ultimately if supposedly headless really helps the dead spot problems, different strings to me would be low on the list of the reasons not to go to it.

Input?

guitarnut_1

I don't see how cutting the headstock would eliminate dead spots. This sounds like BS to me. Most of the guitars I've experienced dead spots on, had it around the 12th fret.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I don't see how cutting the headstock would eliminate dead spots. This sounds like BS to me. Most of the guitars I've experienced dead spots on, had it around the 12th fret.
So can adding mass to a headstock cure or move deadspots?

Hint, the answer is yes. So...

Cal Webway

Just going by my above Fender story and some of the other anecdotal stuff out there thru the years.

I ask if there are other anectdotal stories of cutting the hdstock down or off helped, and if so... why not more headless guitars?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom