So now I own TWO Fulltone '70 big box pedals....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Burstbucker, May 13, 2015.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I just traded a dirt box that I wasn't using much with somebody that had a big box '70 Fuzz and it's actually a pedal that I already had. Kinda funny actually.

I didn't set out to get a second '70 Fuzz but it's worth more then the stomper that I traded, so I'm ahead of the game in that respect. I'll probably just keep the best of the two and sell/trade the other one.

Funny thing is that the serial numbers are really close, my first one is #3518 and this new one is #3555(07-07-09).

I just did a very quick side by side comparison and my original pedal is a bit louder and a tad brighter and a little less fuzzy then this latest one. They both sound great.

2. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Are the trim pots set the same?

I've had three big box '70 pedals- two purple ones from 1999 and one blue one from much later. I liked the purple ones a little better (I still have a purple one and a '69 Pedal- both from 1999). I like the '69 Pedal over all of them. I'm kinda addicted to these pedals!

It's not surprising that they sound different- there are so few components that the tolerance in one can part can make a big difference.

3. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

At one stage I had all the Fulltone fuzzes from 97, including a purple '70. It was cool enough but the '69 is the standout IMO. Still got that one, but the rest have gone.

4. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

'70 big box with its rich harmonix sounds terrific for a silicon fuzz. I can't say I love it less than '69 big box. I love them both.

James likes this.
  5. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

When I set all the knobs on both pedals at twelve o'clock, my original one is a bit louder, so once I turn that down to the level of this newest one, they sound similar but not identical.

Yes, I realise that there are tolerances in parts, so it shouldn't come as a huge suprise that one isn't quite the same as the other.

Great sounding fuzz these '70 Fuzzes!

I'd like to eventually score the other big box fuzzes by Fulltone. I did get a smoking good deal on a big box Octa Fuzz a couple of years ago though. Searching for deals is half the fun!

James likes this.
  6. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I had an old smooth finish big box Octafuzz for a while too. Only paid $60 for it. Not sure why I sold it.:anon

7. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I have a purple 70 from the 90's. Cool pedal, the trim pot inside can make it sound like it's dying which is fun.