So, of all the "tweed" pedals, which do you prefer?

jcmark611

I love the tweed sound, but all these pedals sound so similar, it's really hard to pick out the best. I was just for some real world opinions.

Lullabies

I liked the Wampler Tweed 57 alot.. it was more or less a fuzz through some amps (Vox ac30 being one) but overall I'd have to say the EHX Hot Tubes had a killer cranked deluxe vibe. I regret selling it !

mhuxtable

I have the Lovepedal one....not the Les Lius, but the single stomp version. Can't remember what it's called.

I love it. I've used the Les Lius and the Formula No. 5 and it's by far my fave.

Badfrog

I liked the Lovepedal Les Lius but like many others I wanted to have a volume knob. I now have the Lovepedal High Powered Tweed Twin (I think that's what they call it) and love it. However, I don't use it for butt kicking OD. I set it on the line between clean and OD and love using my attack and volume knob to do what I want to do. Very bluesy with my Strat and Princeton.

Both are great pedals. I haven't tried any others. Currently don't have a desire to try any others.

Richard P

Here's one, slightly: I liked the Wampler pedal better. In the end, I decided that my Tweedy amp didn't need a Tweedy pedal.

I think the 5F6 is good; I just think the Tweed '57 is more versatile. For me, it sounded better with single coils than humbuckers.

I tried the Formula No. 5 too; it wasn't my cup of tea.

I might be over AIAB pedals.

THiwaTT

Supposedly modeled a bit after the old tweed amps - Empress Germ Drive

Its the only OD on my board and I really like it

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
The formula 5f6 is very cool and does the low gain thing very well.

The other I like is the HBOD even though its not trying to do tweed tones by design, it can get them to me.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I have tried many and most overdue some aspect and don't make a well rounded/believable pedal.

I, too, like the Clark Gainster; I have owned in in big box form and the small box Barber version at least 2-3 times each. I always selling them because I end up preferring my tweed Deluxe without any od, just an occasional boost like the Bad Bob.

The only tweed-like overdrive I ever really liked with a clean amp like a BF Fender, was the Menatone Red Snapper. I always pair it with a Mad Professor FGC and it perfoms like a wonderfully dynamic tweed Deluxe being pushed hard.

Last edited:

Serenity

I like my Catalinbread Formula 5. But you have to use your guitar volume to get the best from it.
Lovepedal High Powered Twin is great too.

gmann

I used the LovePedal Les Lius for quite a while. I still have it with no plans to sell. Fairly versatile in that it does the tweed Twin thing and the tweed Deluxe thing. With the switch you can toggle between these or a combination of both. Pretty cool IMO. When gigging however, I only ever used the Twin side of it and it took up a lot of room on my board. When LovePedal came out with the High Powered Tweed Twin pedal it was a no brainer for me. The sound I like and a much smaller footprint. I had the FN5 for a while, still have it actually, but it had too much gain for me. It does the tweed Deluxe/Neil Young thing very well but that's not my thing. A great pedal tho.

oasis02

I've had the HPTwin, the FN5, the 5F6, and the '57 Tweed.

I actually prefer the Wampler Black '65 set to the boosted "tweed" setting. It's just a great tone, and I like the fact that this pedal can do a milder "blackface" OD if you leave it un-boosted.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
I've had the HPTwin, the FN5, the 5F6, and the '57 Tweed. I actually prefer the Wampler Black '65 set to the boosted "tweed" setting. It's just a great tone, and I like the fact that this pedal can do a milder "blackface" OD if you leave it un-boosted.

QFT

I run an EHX Soul Food into a VFE Blues King then into the Fender blackface setting on my Egnater Tweaker amp for Tweed tones. I actually prefer the combination to the Fender DRRI I get to play through weekly by a substantial margin.

Kano6

I haven't tried the others, but did take a close look at videos and features on the Catalinbread and Les Lius offerings when shopping around. I bought the Wampler Tweed '57 and really like its versatility.

Trending Topics