so our house sold before we even listed

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by neastguy, Jan 27, 2015.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

so now we have to look for a house.. and get one pretty quickly... any helpful tips when looking at houses that I might be overlooking? questions to ask.. thanks

2. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

what the neighbors are exactly,

3. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Do you have kids? School selection is HUGE if you do.

If you find a house you like, drive around the neighborhood and check houses close to you. Our first house was ok, but there were some serious issues with a dump behind us we didn't see when we agreed to buy. Those folks were some serious trouble which we would have known had we seen their house before we bought.

My pet thing is water quality. Life is pretty crappy if your water isn't great. Showers and washing clothes become quite a hassle.

4. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

i always opted to simply driving around choice neighborhoods and doing it old school. FSBO and listed properties will have signs and call 'em if want to take a look-see. When we bought both our houses we identified the neighborhoods we wanted to be in first. Some things the internet is good for, some things not so much....the pictures are taken by the seller, ya know? I only trust what I see with my own two eyes when it comes to a purchase of that magnitude. Guitar gear is one thing, homes and even cars are another.

5. dave s

dave s Member

Wow, that's great news considering NE Ohio! Where ya movin' to? Staying local and remaining in NE Ohio?

dave

6. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a pocket listing, which probably means your house was never really exposed to the open market and would have sold for more if it were.

7. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Yep, glad to see the housing market is still hot out here. I put the offer in on my place the day it hit the market back in 2012. There were still other people wandering through as I was signing the thing.

8. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

we actually would like to stay in the same city.. just upgrade the size and layout a little... we can't mod our house like we want to....

9. korby

korby Member

Don't be in a rush .

10. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

and cool neighbors (falls under location)

11. ANALOG GUY

ANALOG GUY Member

I look at the neighborhood, neighbors and the roof, all very important.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  12. tcdrover

tcdrover Member

I just moved a couple of years ago, this is my 2nd house.

I have a couple of lessons learned.

I lost about 40k because my house was appraised low. I put in a new central air unit, hurricane shutters, fans, and all sorts of other stuff but the appraiser shorted me in the worst way.

I'll echo what someone above mentioned about neighbors. make sure to check out your future house multiple times at DIFFERENT times of the day to get a real feel for what the neighbors are like.

I an very happy with my new place though. I still can hardly believe that this is mine. I've got 2.5 acres, my house has woods behind it so I don't have neighbors back there. I have so much more privacy and peace of mind than before that the lost dough doesn't mean that much

13. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

^^^This is extremely important. Nights, weekends, weeknights, 4 AM on a Saturday, 2 PM on a Tuesday, etc...
    and...
    Location....must be an echo in this thread. :D

14. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

When we were thinking of buying our current home, which we plan to stay in for at least the next 20 years, we did the multiple visit thing. It's in a gated community so we had the realtor give us the gate code, even gave the combo to the contractor key (on the water meter, not the one on the black box on the door) and we just spent time there. One Friday even we brought our wine and food backpack fully loaded and a couple of those frame and canvas chairs that fold up into a small carry case. We set up camp on the back patio and just tried out the ambiance.

I think what others are saying is great advice.

15. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

The number of cars parked in each driveway and on the street is a good indicator of the socioeconomic status of the people living there. More cars = more adults in a given house, usually due to necessity. Such a neighbourhood may have nice enough people, but they may not have time or money to keep their houses up, and it may be a noisy place to live. It also may not be as safe for kids due to all the vehicles.

Broad, sweeping statements, I know, but next time you are out in various areas, pay attention to the cars and the types of neighbourhoods.

16. Tonefree

Tonefree Silver Supporting Member

Check the roof, scope the sewer, furnace, any big ticket items. And always, location, location, location. Hopefully timing and opportunity will align for you.

Good Luck!

17. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

Remember that not all states legally have to disclose if someone died in the house in the past 4 years. If your state doesn't have that law, ask the seller straight up.

18. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Don't trust a home inspector too much. Do your own inspection, and depending on the age of the home and your own level of expertise, don't hesitate to call in a trusted electrician and/or plumber to do separate inspections.

19. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Google the streets surrounding to see what's been reported, and what kind of (home) businesses or DBAs are operating nearby....

20. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

Look for a rental to move into short term, so you can be patient when looking

Jumping into the purchase of a house is a bad idea