So our lead guitarist walks into the studio...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Axeaholic, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

And he's holding this ...

[​IMG]

now after showing us all the tricks, crazy tunings, different tones ...

I got to try it ...

Now although I am more vintage oriented and he is an extreme modernist when it comes to gear ...

I have to say I wasn't too impressed with it, the neck feels completely bare and the friction on it gets a bit uncomfortable if you have fast hands, the finish looks maniacally dark, definitly not as bright as the gibson website shows it to be, but quite quite nice ...

the tuning system is a bit of a weird thing, we had a fresh pair of strings on, wanted to tune up and it snapped the lower e-string ! We put on a new one and it tuned up fine, but definitly freaked at first

The tone is pretty cool although everything seemed a bit '' too breakup prone '' I have to be honnest , it sounded awesome

Learning curve is easy, tones are cool although a bit mitigated by the Piezo mix ... feels like a bit too much crammed into a guitar.

I wish it was faster to setup from one thing to another, It feels a bit weird lifting a guitar sideways to look at a tiny spot with leds ... I think an LCD on the side of the guitar would have been much smarter.

Anywho ! overall 8.5/10 ! the future of guitar looks great

Oh yeah ... I GUARANTEE purists will find it a detestable instrument :banana

2. airwarrior

airwarrior Member

You guys must be popular, cause those things are expensive as hell.

3. Axeaholic

He actually got a ridiculous deal on it ... under 3k !

4. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Ridiculous indeed.

5. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

I like techy things as far as video games and cell phones.....buy my git-fiddle.....maybe locking tuners is as far out as I go.

6. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

It's best said with a sort of breathy, whispered, punctuated voice whenever you are in its presence...

"Dark Fire"

7. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

If the Dark Fire is the future of guitars then I'm learning the trumpet.

8. Axeaholic

As stated ... I knew right away purists would despise this ...

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

lol, I never understand why purists get so twisted up over these things. Gibson still makes the traditional guitars. I don't always like the new stuff. Heck, usually I don't. But I don't mind that they're trying new things.

10. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

My Robot has become an indespensible tool for me.
    [​IMG]

11. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I said it about the Robots and I'll say it about this:

When these gadgets go wonky in five or ten years and this "new" technology is old-hat and obsolete, who is going to service this stuff, and what parts will be available?

My regular old electric guitar will outlive me and will most likely work as well as it did the day I bought it - and will sound even better. Not sure I'd say that about this newest gizmoguitar.

I don't mind that they're trying new things, either, but when I read things like this from the website, I have to laugh:

"Because there are so many software and hardware components and because we’d set the bar so high, we didn’t anticipate the amount of time it would take to go from “it works” to “it’s perfect.” And for you, our valued and respected customers, it must be perfect. Anything less, and it would not be a Gibson.

Production on all Dark Fire models is currently on hold while we await the arrival of a shipment of Robot Interface Packs (RIPs). The RIP is a crucial part of the Dark Fire experience that provides a sophisticated link between Dark Fire and Windows and Mac computers, and we want to make sure that when you get Dark Fire, you can immediately take advantage of these advanced capabilities."

12. Snail

Snail Member

Thanks for the post -- I've been wondering about this thing.

The thing that makes me scratch my head the most is actually the name. Robot, I get. But Dark Fire? What does that have to do with anything?

Anyway, I'm a bit of a traditionalist, but I've got nothing against people doing things like this. Why not?

13. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I just want a LP with a bridge bucker and a neck P90. I don't need robotics. Seems the BFG studios are tough to come by. Cool looking guitar, though.

14. crosse79

crosse79 Member

The irony - the packs are called RIPs. Anyhow - I haven't tried any of these guitars before so I'll reserve my judgement on them. However with the description Gibson used on these guitars - anything less than the Dark Fire being able to cook breakfast for me will leave me disappointed.

15. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

I like that, "Gizmoguitar." I have to agree with OM Flyer on most of this. I've tried these out and thought they'd be great for a hired gun that didn't want to change guitars between songs for different tunings but let's not venture out too far from a great thing.

It seems to me like Gibson's been trying to jump the gun with developing "new" guitars over the last few years. While I appreciate them being innovative, how about they use all the time and energy and put it back into the quality control it built its reputation on. I feel like I'm being taken by some rich kid's daddy's inheritance that's about to run out if he can't get his crap together. Come on Gibson! Just give us what we want - a GIBSON!!!

16. Alligator > jam

Alligator > jam Member

17. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Ha!

18. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

I'm far from being a purist, my fav guit at the mo is a 513 :D

19. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Under 3k? What a deal! I'd rather have an R4 or an R6 personally, but hey, whatever he likes! :D

20. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Ah, purists.

I think it's kinda cool. The bottom line is the tone on it. If it's a toy with lousy sound, then that's what it is. If it SOUNDS good, then hey, what the hell?

You can't help but admit that if you could play ONE guitar and get all the tones you need, PLUS tunings, then wouldn't you want that? I know, I know, gobs of cool looking guitars, a drone to bring them to you on stage, the images, the drama, etc.

But it is cool.