So...Pittbull wins yet again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 8nthatK, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Damn this Pittbull, it refuses to be supplanted.
    Just bought a really pretty lil' Hayseed 30 2X10 combo off the forum, it sounds great, really great actually. But after A/Bing for the past few hours, the Pittbull just floats my boat. I've been gigging these little VHT's for several years now, and I tell you, they just kick serious booty.
    What a great amp, VHT really got these things right. Even when I want to I can't replace the 45.

Oh well...guess the Hayseed goes up for sale, sigh...

2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I just picked up a Pitbull 45 here on the forum last week and I've got it sounding brown as hell with my OCD into my 2x12 scumback loaded cab. I don't like the stock speaker as "Scumbacks" rule IMO. I don't like the reverb much and still playing around with the settings. Its a monster of an amp for sure.

3. Kelly

Kelly Member

I got a Deliverance 2 years ago for my mid-high gain tones. I figured I'd a/b it with my Bassman head for cleans. The Bassman head is retired. The VHT cleans simply blow it away.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Yeah VHT's are great amps, I only own 1 amp these days and its a Pittbull Super Thirty... love that amp!

5. mdsmith64

mdsmith64 Member

Just goes to show how important it is to find the gear that inspires -you- to play. I have way too many guitars and amps and I keep going back to the same two. Having said that, a new/different guitar or amp can be inspiring in it's own right, even if you end up ditching it down the road. I've made countless discoveries about my playing and equipment from trying new gear. I guess that's why a forum like this exists in the first place.

By the way, I was amp shopping in San Francisco last year and wandered into a shop (Rocker Guitars) that had many nice pieces and I tried a VHT Deliverance. Really wasn't my cup of tea but it was definitely a class act and I can see why so many people dig them. That day, the amp I ended up digging the most was a modded Soldano SLO through a Bogner 4X12. Didn't walk out with it, but I've been looking for that tone ever since...

-Mike.

6. 8nthatK

Pittbull 45...not sure the year, I know it's one of the later ones, has all the the latest updates etc. Fantastic amp. Can't find anything better. (for me of course)

7. 8nthatK

I also had a Super 30, it was just da' bomb too, in fact I traded it for this 45 head...I wanted a head instead of the combo.

8. 8nthatK

I haven't tried the Deliverance...it sounded a little too 'in your face' for me from the clips I heard. I dunno for sure though.

9. Kelly

Kelly Member

Next time turn the "depth" control all the way down. The amp gets much softer and more vintage sounding.

10. 8nthatK

Wow...so my bud comes over to buy the Hayseed...

We fooled around with it a bit, set the EF86 channel selector on 'normal' jumped the 1st channel's high input into the Ef86 channel's low, and plugged into the high channel of the EF86... All I can say is wow.
    Nearly a religious experience, just beautiful. So, my lil Pittbull got it's ass beat after all. The good news is he is going to let me gig the Hayseed until I sell the VHT and buy my own Hayseed (um, yeah, again). I guess I have to amend my post.

What a sound...

11. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    When I did the alwood mod on that amp chasis I did not have the speakers here to tune the power amp to the speakers. If you are running alnico 10s, the trimmer may have to be turned down a bit to smooth out the top boost channel a little. The cool thing about the alwood pot is you can tune the amp to your ideal VOCKS tone.
    Rob

12. 8nthatK

Hey Rob.
    You know, I haven't even peeked inside...so there's a trim pot there huh? Well that's cool. I've been playing thru a Bob Burt 2X12 loaded with silver bells as that is the cab I'm used to, so plenty smooth thru that, I'll have to check it with the tens though that are in the cab.
    I gots to tell you bro, that is one killer sounding amp. No joke, really amazing, can hardly get over it.
    Goes to show sometimes you got to fiddle a bit to get the sound that's in your head. Man, I'm sure glad I did, what a revelation...nearly missed it.
    Thanks for building such an affordable tone monster!
    :BEER

Edit: Ok...so I dropped the chassis out. Nice work! Very tidy...aluminum chassis with the corners welded, nice tight wiring. Sheesh, how do you do it at that price point? Damn, these things are a serious bargain! Yep, see the trim pot, I'll mess with it tomorrow. THX!

13. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

So you sold the Hayseed? That's kind of a crazy story.

14. 8nthatK

Yeah, I know it. It is crazy. The point of the post was just how good an amp the little Pittbull was...but then when I was selling the Hayseed, (this is to a good friend btw, so it's not quite as wacked as it could be!) We found a sound in this Hayseed that screamed AC30, I mean right there. Just perfect. Anyway, I don't want to renege on a sell deal, but I am going to try to convince my bud to order his own Hayseed and let me keep this one.
    If not, I'll just order another, but I have to have one now...I would prefer to keep this one since I know what it sounds like though.

Either way the Pittbull rocks, but I love this valvetech jobby.

15. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yep Hayseed 30's are seriously cool!

rock

bford

16. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

What are the wait times these days for a Hayseed? The prices are very reasonable. I got bit by the AC bug a few years ago and nothing sounds right to me anymore unless it's 4-el84.

17. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

I'm using my 2001 VHT Pitbull 45/12 ( Class A/AB switch, effects loop, reverb, gain boost) for rehearsals, jam nights, and small gigs. I bought the amp last year from a fellow TGP member. I'm really pleased with the way the clean channel sounds really clear, but can breakup if pushed and the drive channel gets me into JCM 800 territory. I run an Xotic RC Booster for lead boost and a Visual Sound in the effects loop for chorus/delay. I set the effects loop button in series and use the effects level knob as master volume for both channels. This makes the amp more manageable for its volume output. I was inspired by jlagrassa's Pitbull Super 30 combo amp's tone that I installed a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in my Pitbull 45/12. It made the drive channel more agressive sounding and the cleans still sound good on the amp. I've also ran the Pitbull 45/12 into a Marshall 1912 1x12 closed back cabinet just for kicks. Wow, that amp sounded so much more punchy and big with that Marshall 1x12 closed back cabinet!!

Guitar George

18. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Just not there yet when it comes to dialing my Super 30 in. Perhaps you could share your amp settings, effects, and guitar preference. Was that the Super 30 on the youtube clip of "Rock Me Baby"? I remember a Lester and a OCD that sounded really nice. Nice playing too...

19. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Do you have the factory rec'd tubes? Makes a difference...
    Later EF86 reverb driver version: http://www.vhtusers.com/documents/45-50%20series.pdf
    Early EL84 reverb driver version: http://www.vhtusers.com/documents/45 Early Version.pdf
    All docs here: http://www.vhtusers.com/documents/

I was in the studio this past weekend w/ a PB45 head (thanks 'rh'!) and a Rivera 1x12. Incredible the range of sounds and how well it tracked - from pristine Tele-like cleans to Cooder-type grind to smooth overdrive at reasonable volumes. Remarkable.

20. monacosis

monacosis Member

i picked up a PB 45 2-10 combo a month ago (based partly on TGP recs) and i am amazed at the sounds i can get out of it - truly a versatile amp. i was a long-time Boogie user but this VHT has turned me around.

downside? it's a pretty big amp to schlep around. love to find a cheap head.

mike