So Relic detractors, a scenario:

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by VintagePlayerStrat, May 27, 2020.

1. Fr3shMak3r

Fr3shMak3r Whatever Gold Supporting Member

No, it’s forcing people to respond in a particular way to a logical fallacy. Your premise is fundamentally flawed. It’s like asking someone allergic to peanuts to choose between creamy and chunky. They would literally die if they had either one, but somehow it’s important that they choose which poison or they are “hiding” their true feelings? It’s absurd.

This question isn’t clever. It’s an attempt to manipulate people into confirming your biases.

2. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I'd probably not buy it unless it played and sounded really great. And - Rattle Can spray jobs can have their own charm - especially if it was played a lot.

3. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

My evil plan would be to go to Austin Vintage and see if I could catch Eric Johnson there late in the day, and I'd tell him the story of how I found the guitar.

I'd ask him to play it and video him playing and making comments about the guitar.

I'd also try to catch David Grissom at Saxon Pub and before the show, give him the story and video him playing it and his comments.

I would then post the guitar for sale on E-bay and Reverb along with the videos.

I would start with a high asking price and take offers.

Hopefully the guitar would sell for way more than I paid.

I would then turn around and buy the best relic'd guitar I could buy ,that looked as close to how the original looked like before the rattle can job. ;)

4. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Let the tone guide you to heavenly enlightenment. If this vintage find has incredible tone - I'm leaving it alone even if it has a deep 'Weber Grille Flat Black" color.

5. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

A clear cut choice in your mind. There is a way to do what you attempted with this thread. How you executed it is not an effective approach.

It is a clear cut choice for me too: sell it as is.

All you are trying to do is force people down one of two paths to make a point. There are many other viable paths and by leaving them out you invalidate your exercise.

You created a logical fallacy, which was nothing more than a poorly executed and poorly vieled attempt to manipulate people for your own agenda.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Fr3shMak3r likes this.
  6. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Supporting Member

Not to me. A relic implies that wear has been added as a part of the finish. I'm suggesting that the finish be applied without wear, but light enough that wear easily occurs over time.

7. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I'd leave it rattle can.
    I've said it before, I bought a new road worn bass, cause it is a great bass. If I had had the choice, I'd have paid an extra 100 bucks for a clean finish. The only thing that really bothers me is the fake "cig burn" on the headstock. It doesn't look like a real cig burn on the headstock of a vintage Fender to me (and yea, I know what that looks like - hey, it was the 70s). Looks like someone hit it with a soldering iron. Just looks odd.
    It's a great bass, though, and I like it. Finish isn't a big deal to me, some of my old guitar ain't got no stinkin' finish.

8. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

This raises an interesting question NEW THREAD! if you finish a guitar so lightly that it begins to relic as soon as it's handled for the first time, is that a "relic"? I'd say no, I'd say that's a finish that's designed to yield a patina very quickly. The comment about a copper dobro that is meant to turn green rapidly is the same idea.

9. luckymethod

luckymethod Member

Factory fresh. No point in doing extra work to make it look worse.

10. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

I’d refinish it in the best reproduction of a cool, period-correct custom color that the maker had used. So if it were a fender, it’d be LPB or CAR or Lavender Mist or Sherwood Green. On the Gibson side, Pelham Blue, Inverness Green, Sparkling Burgundy, or that crazy olive sunburst they did only on Epi Sorrentos.

And then I’d play it and be happy. I buy guitars to play them, not as an investment.

11. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Me too, but I have an issue where they gutiar I bought to play accidentally becomes, or is inherently rare, and so I have to decide if I want to gut it of value by making vanity mods or not.

12. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

I don't think refinishing a guitar with a trashed finish into the finish you've always wanted is a "vanity mod." For me, again, I don't care about resale value. I buy guitars to play them. I only sell a guitar if I don't like it or I am forced to by circumstances. I assume, once I've bought an instrument, that I'm OUT that money. I buy very carefully and keep things unless I can't. I've been lucky at times when it came time to sell, and very unlucky at other times. Oh well. Roll the dice. I look at an instrument through the lens of "how happy does this make me?" and "how many different cool things can I do with this?" Unless I know something is irreplaceable, I don't really worry too much about doing what I want to do to it.

Mind you, I wouldn't buy a Fender Broadcaster and refinish it or anything. Aesthetically, that wouldn't please me. But any kind of Strat? If it needed a refin, I'm going LPB, baby. Get the headstock done to match. New decals. Go big or go home. It's just a guitar, you know?

13. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Supporting Member

That's a bit more than what I was describing. I was thinking of something like the thin finish that Collings puts on their Waterloo guitars. They show wear more readily than their premium line, but it still takes some time.

14. Multi Angle Vise

Multi Angle Vise Member

No equivocation - it's unreservedly A. all day any day. My thinking simplified (agreement not necessary, not possible):

Beautiful historical object has been damaged. Choices:

A. Repair and restore the object.

B. Repair and restore the object. Then damage it again.

There are assumptions here that I do not share, and are not part of my decision.

I have rescued and restored a few old guitars (none of significance to contemporary collectors) - I would never willingly damage them. My goal is to make them functional instruments again, and conserve them as much as possible.

With a new instrument, whatever. With an old instrument, there are other layers to consider.

Hey I'm posting in a relic thread, clearly judgement is lockdown impaired. Maybe I can find a tone wood thread.

DiAmoroso likes this.
  15. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

If I had no choice but to buy it (I certainly wouldn't under normal circumstances), I would leave it as-is. It's all mojo.

16. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Paint the body perfect new, then relic the body to match the wear on the neck.

VintagePlayerStrat likes this.
  17. nowhere

nowhere Member

Well, when I found the original Moderne prototype at a garage sale in Piapot Saskatchewan it was painted with Hammerite. I had the finish restored to factory new condition. I also had it routed for three EMG's, a Floyd and a locking nut. Gotta keep up with the times and it was the 80s.

VintagePlayerStrat likes this.
  18. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Nope. It's pretty clearly making people uncomfortable to just make a choice of A or B. Equivocating is escaping.

You did make a choice in your initial response, kinda, but had to add you'd sell it to me. What you mean is you'd relic it because you know that's better for resale.

And that's not so hard to admit. Or, I guess it is. : )

19. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Not one of the choices. Again, equivocating, but lots of folks are. :)

20. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Between the two choices, factory fresh refin. Look, you're already refinishing it and if you wanted to sell it, you'd have to disclose that fact. It's not going to be worth more because it's intentionally and artificially aged to look like the original finish. I'm a player, not a collector, and when I play a vintage guitar it's because I like the way it sounds and feels. If the finish is trash, and not original, no need to mimic how you imagine the original finish might have looked. Non whatsoever.