So...Robben Ford has been using an LP and a Super lately...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by radialaced, Jul 7, 2006.

1. radialaced

radialaced Member

It seems like Robben can get his signature sound with nearly any guitar and many different amps.

Just imagine he gets his sound with a tele, a Fender Robben Ford , a Baker RF, or a goldtop LP. What's next a Parker Fly?

Also, what's up with the amps? I heard that lately he's playing a Zendrive through a Super? That surprised me. Don't misunderstand me I love Super reverb amps, (mostly the normal channel though). I just thought that Robben had to have a 4x12 to thicken his bridge pickup sound, but I guess not.

What amp will we see Robben with next? A tweed? A brownface? A champ on a chair?

I love that guy.

2. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

He has actually played through quite a few different amps. One impromptu get together, he reportedly used a local guy's Vibro King and seemed to like it.

I have also read that he often will use rental SRRIs and DRRIs when touring and doesn't care to risk his Dumble/Twin rig in transit. In fact, I believe that the "Ford Brothers" live CD was recorde when he was using a Super for cleans and a DRRI/w Zendrive for OD/Leads.

3. radialaced

radialaced Member

Ouuu, I like the Vibro King. I had one at the house for a week or two while I retubed it for a friend. I didn't want to give it back. He wouldn't sell it to me either.

Zendrive...I do believe I need one:)

4. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

I saw him a couple of weeks ago here in seattle, he had his Dumble, his 1960 Tele, and a vintage goldtop Les Paul. His tone was heaven.

Apparently his Dumble had been at Howard's house for several months for maintenance (?), maybe that explains his experimentation. Regardless, I was relieved I got to hear his Dumble live and not one of the suitable subs. :) But Robben pretty much sounds like Robben no matter what he plays through.

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

How do you know that it was just a suitable sub?

Dumbles cannot be that great..........

M.E.

6. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Saw him at Safari Sams in LA when I was out there a few months ago......original 57 les paul into his dumble......tone to cry for! He was Jammin with Landau and the guys from the Jimmy Kimmel band......definately a treat.

7. karmadave

karmadave Member

I've seen him several times, with and without his Dumble rig. To my ears, the Dumble sounds a bit more refined. However, Robben always sounds like Robben. The way he shapes his notes is unmistakable. His tone is a fairly clean tone, with a bit of gain. With the Zendrive, he can come close enough to his Dumble tone and it's often more convenient to show up with his guitar(s) + OD pedal and go!

-KD

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've had the pleasure of seeing RF several times...I liked his tone with a rented Red Knob Twin and his Fender signature guĂ­tar the best...did not care for his Dumble Baker/Tele sound...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

I heard that Robben's tone through a Super didn't "cut it"
    :confused:

When I saw him his Tele and Baker sounded very different to eachother, so it's not all in the hands.

fwiw I found his Dumble very fatiguing, after a few songs his sound was grating on me, but I'm not really a fan so...

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Myself and a number of other GP members have seen Robben almost every week over the last 3 months - with a few weeks off inbetween - at Safari Sam's in Hollywood, and every show he had his Dumble and Gold Top LP - occassionally the wine red LP. And the speaker cab had 2-12s, no 4-12s in sight. It was classic Robben tones all night long, and very distinct from Landau and his CAE.

It appears he doesn't always travel with the Dumble, so Fenders + Zendrive are the alternatives.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, last year. Mark uses the Super.

[​IMG]

jon

12. guitarboy_02451

guitarboy_02451 Member

I saw him using a super/zendrive. He's also used a DRZ Z-Best cab.

13. scottl

scottl Member

One time because he had no cab. Then Z used the pic on his website as if RF endorsed it. Story I got from the inside was that the cab was just ok..... Served its purpose.

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Eventually everyone comes around to the FACT that LES PAULS RULE THE PLANET!

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I think many folks can dial in a range of amps to suit their gig needs (esp. if travelling w/ some pedals they know).
    That said, I find RF sounds VERY different on humbuckers vs. single coil guitars (must admit I find much of his Tele lead work of little interest - like the rhythm work, though).

16. Tasweigan

Tasweigan Member

Don't forget, Robbens Supers have been "Dumblefied".

17. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I've seen Ford a handful of times, and he's always played through the Dumble. He's used a variety of guitars (Baker RF, several LP's, 60's tele) and I seem to like the tele best. He plays pretty loud, and he doesn't seem to use much OD anymore. I have some video from several years back and he used quite a bit more gain.

I find that he gets very similar tones from any of the guitars he uses on a given night.

18. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I used to see Robben a lot in the 70's. I bought my Jim Kelley amp because I saw Robben playing through one at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach in like '77. I talked to him about it during a break, and he was very enthusiastic about it. He sounded to my ears EXACTLY like the LP "The Inside Story" that night - A-Freakin-Mazing tone. He used his ES-335 and a black Strat that night. BTW, I think Inside Story was released in '78.

That was just before his Dumble time. My understanding is that for the sessions for "Inside Story" that Andy Brauer, at who's shop Robben had been hanging out, brought one by the studio when they were recording and told Robben, "Dude, you GOTTA try this amp" and he did. Many of the solos on that lp, according to both Robben and Andy, were recorded with Robben playing through the Dumble. Andy had just bought one and was trying to get everybody he could to try 'em out.

I prefer the Dumble sound strongly over the Super w/ the Zendrive. In the end though, it's really about his hands and his intentionality. Like all of us, he sounds like himself no matter which amp or which guitar he plays through.

Wayne - I agree, I think Robben has tremendously inventive rhythym playing. I'm deeply envious of all you guys who get to watch those Safari Sam's sessions - you get to watch both Robben and Mike L, who's no rhthym slouch either, comp behind each other. Best $10 guitar lesson this decade! (GRIN)

I like the Tele, but Robben playing the ES-335 through the Dumble is the end of the tone rainbow for me.

I think the most important component of Robbens tone is.... Robben!

Dana

19. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've seen Ford many times in concert, and he always had the Dumbles. However, one time I saw him do a guitar clinic, and he used an "evil" Twin Reverb, and he sounded just like himself!

Recently I borrowed a Zendrive for a weekend gig, and it was the BEST overdrive pedal I've ever heard in 35 years of playing guitar. I can't wait to get my hands on one of those bad boys! :drool

20. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

yes, I love it too! Tone is in the fingers....