• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

So... Should I get a Firebird?

Dashface

So, here's the thing... I'm a bigger guy (6 foot, 260 pounds), and I need guitars that are bigger or else I look silly on stage. I've been thinking it's time for a Firebird... There's one at a local store for $850, which seems like kind of a steal.

...So, what are the pros and cons of the bird?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
They sound good and look cool.
Everything else is weird and you have to try one.
You will still be faced with the 24.75 scale and possibly a thinner neck than your optimal fit.
The hang position and strap path and neck droop are some ergonomic issues.

ugacrow

So, here's the thing... I'm a bigger guy (6 foot, 260 pounds), and I need guitars that are bigger or else I look silly on stage. I've been thinking it's time for a Firebird... There's one at a local store for $850, which seems like kind of a steal.

...So, what are the pros and cons of the bird?
I'm 6'6", 280 lbs, and I play a Les Paul Doublecut. It looks like a ukulele on me, but it plays like butter, so I don't give a damn. Just have fun with it!

Dashface

Do they all have flat wide necks? I've played a few, and they all had pretty thin necks going on. Are there any with bigger necks? Or do I have to get something custom for that?

desertrat07

Silver Supporting Member
I'm 6'3" but dont worry too much about the size of the guitars i play. That said, I tried a Firebird a couple of weeks ago. I love the look, like the sound, but the thinner neck profile and lame banjo tuners kinda killed it for me. But $850 is a great price. I'm sure you could unload it at break even or even profit if it doesn't suit you. Personally, i am now jonesing for a Kauer Banshee but that's gonna cost me a lot more than $850.

Last edited:

paulg

Silver Supporting Member
Love them birds! Different and unique. Great blues rock machine.

Dashface

I'm 6'3" but dont worry too much about the size of the guitars i play. That said, I tried a Firebird a couple of weeks ago. I love the the look, like the sound, but the thinner neck profile and lame banjo tuners kinda killed it for me. But $850 is a great price. I'm sure you could unload it at break even or even profit if it doesn't suit you. Personally, i am now jonesing for a Kauer Banshee but that's gonna cost me a lot more than $850.
It was seeing those Banshee guitars that kind of got me on this track :D $850 is a pretty damn good price though, I know. Hmm...

treedroppings

Yes, the thin neck might be an issue, but you will be able to reach higher on the fretboard, which is why I am preferring it to another killer Strat

they no longer build them w/banjo tuners FWIW

Marty DiBergi

Silver Supporting Member
I've had my hands on a few non-reverse historics and the necks are pretty club-like... almost too fat for me...

I've also played a Pelham Blue reverse bird once with more of a rounded and fuller carve. I think it was CS though...

Neck carve is important. But that's an individual thing... if you can get by with a big ol' bird that happens to have a slimmer carve then snatch it up. $850 is a very good price.

vortexxxx

I'm 6'2" and I have large hands so I wouldn't like a thin neck. The price is great though. I've seen some Epiphone Firebirds selling for almost that price.

I thought it was one particular FB (at your local store) that you were interested in, not FBs in general? How is the neck on the local one? Most historics have a fairly good sized neck.

If you fall in love with a more expensive FB and hafta unload that LPC, let me know! I'll take the 544, too!

Stringrazor

A buddy bought a brand new one some years back and I played it briefly. The neck was wider than anything else I'd tried but still comfortable. It was an odd bird but beautiful. It played and sounded nicely. Go for it!

I think he ultimately sold it because he just couldn't justify having a guitar that cost so much (not sure what he paid but think it was over 3 grand).

Warren Haynes is a pretty big guy and he ROCKS his birds.

I'd say you have to try one to see if you click with it... you'll probably know for sure in just a few minutes.

If you do love the feel, you get some great tone in return!

M

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Play before you pay- 'birds are not for everyone. I love the look & sound but could not get along with the ergonomics. For another big bodied Gibson that would "look right" on a big guy, try an Explorer. They hang a lot better for me.

nofearfactor

Saw Johnny Winter on Letterman not long ago and even though he was sitting down he fcked that old Firebird of his up like it was no ones business. Right then I wanted one and still do but those kind of shapes of guitars just hang weird on me and are uncomfortable doing shows with them. As a collector though I would consider getting one- especially for $850. I had a nice Jackson Kelly given to me once but had to part with it because I hated the way it hung on me when I did shows with it, same as an ESP Viper I really liked but hung weird on me too. This has kept me from playing Vs too.

I've had a couple, including a Bicentennial '76. They look fantastic and sound great-but ergonomically they're seriously weird and take some getting used to. I have similar issues with SGs; they just don't feel right. A Firebird V in Polaris White is simply gorgeous.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Great guitars, but not for everyone. $850 seems surprisingly low. Is it the large humbucker version?

Trending Topics