So, should I get a Himmelstrutz fetto or fitzo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mangoman, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mangoman

mangoman Gold Supporting Member

Just getting interested in these pedals. I've been on the hunt for a goo overdrive/distortion pedal, and seem to think I want something more Marshall's flavored, but always seem to try one, and move on. Not really wanting a TS type pedal. I got one, and I like it,but looking for more. Want something that will color the tone a bit when needed, but otherwise just a good crunchy pedal that will be nicely boosted for solos.

So, I always passed these over, and now would like some opinions. Otherwise, I was gonna go back to the OCD, DRD or a menatone suad

Let me know your experiences. I just don't need a metal type pedal for sure.

Thanks

2. edgie

edgie Member

For new himmelstrutz users, better to begin with a Nord so you can have an independent boost as well. Nord 70 if you are into classic rock/hard rock(70s rock - 90s alt-rock/grunge), Nord if you are into more modern tones(80s hair bands - present) Fitzo will be too low gain for what you are looking for.

3. TheRiotTapes

TheRiotTapes Senior Member

Funny how there's no love for the C'Luxe.

4. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I had a Fetto Standard and fell in love but wanted more control. I'd recommend the Custom. It's a really cool pedal. Only caveat is the higher price but I think they are worth it.

5. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Didn't dig the Fetto (or the Custom). They both had a similarly scooped sound with boomy bass & bright highs with a noticeable lack of mids. Even with the extra controls of the Custom (and the internal trim pots) I couldn't dial in a sound that worked for me.

I ended up selling the brand new Custom at a loss because Maken Music (the only US distributor) doesn't do returns on pedals. That's a lot of cash to have tied up in a pedal that doesn't work for you. Try before you buy if you can.

:rockin

6. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Actually I agree with most of this. One thing I did to my standard was to really bring up the mids inside the pedal on that trimmer. It really helped bring it out of that scooped thing. As far as selling at a loss, I did as well. Resale seems to be quite difficult with these Fettos. Not sure why but if you can try before you buy I totally recommend it.

7. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I feel ya man. Even with the internal/external mid things on full they were still scooped. Some people really dig these pedals but I personally didn't get it. Expensive lesson learned.

:rockin

8. 66Park

66Park Member

A Fetto certainly doesn't have the mid hump of a tubescreamer based pedal, but I wouldn't describe them as mid scooped in the least. I also have no problem whatsoever with boomy bass. I would recommend a Custom as a first Fetto simply because it has the most control over the tone, but the C-Luxe would be a very close second.

9. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

I can get my Fetto Custom to have pretty strong mids by lowering both the Top and the Bottom controls to about nine o-clock. There is still plenty of volume and drive left to experiment with at those settings. Adding the left or right setting on the mids switch gives even more mids. I've said it a bunch, don't be afraid to try the more extreme EQ settings. There are some great tones in the Custom. I love it as an end of chain tone shaper that brings a kind bigness to the sound of everything that came before it. I do like the internal gain trimmer set a little lower than stock on my Custom. I use it for very low gain and EQ tone shaping mostly.

10. spazmonkey

spazmonkey Member

Just played a gig tonight with the fetto standars boosted with a keeley ts and could not be f@##$$%% happier!!!

11. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

The Fetto Custom is a fantastic pedal, but you need to spend some time tweaking before you really understand how the Bass and Tone really interact with the Drive (Bass actually adds Gain as it is increased, Tone controls primarily the upper mid frequencies). That said, it's one of the best Low/Medium gain overdrives out there.

12. bk.

bk. Member

I've had my fetto standard for several months now and every time I light up that ostrich eye im blown away!

13. teleclem

teleclem Member

There's another dealer now - http://www.pedalshark.com/himmelstrutz/
    Don't know about returns with them though.

@OP: I think that if you want a pedal with the ocd/drd gain levels, a Fetto (Nord or custom or cluxe) would suit you better than a Fitzo. I was told that the Fitzo is more of a low gain od/boost.

I'm extremely happy with my Nord. I had a DRD in its spot before getting it. In fact, I was so pleased that I bought a Gramps+ too. I just committed to buying a Fitzo. These things are addicting!

14. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

I totally agree.

15. 66Park

66Park Member

You are correct, teleclem. The Fitzo is very low gain. If you listen to the second half of this clip with the Les Paul, the gain is up about 3/4 of the way. Granted, I've got pretty low output pickups. If you've got EMGs or something very high output, you'd get more out of it, but this is about what it does:

I do think it sounds great boosted with another pedal for more gain, though. Here it is boosted by the Under Over:

That's the truth!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  16. 66Park

66Park Member

I agree about the Fitzo being too low gain for his purposes, but I don't really agree that the Nord is necessarily the best choice for a first Fetto. The Nord has much less tone control than the Custom or C-Luxe, which are much safer bets to match with different amps and guitars. The Nord does have much more gain available with the boost, if that's a concern, and if you have an amp and guitar that the Nord works with, it's a fantastic pedal. I love mine. I'm always wary of recommending it to people with no Fetto experience because it can be very bright with certain setups, and without the presence and mids switches, it's less easy to reign in. You can get exactly the same sounds out of the Custom and C-Luxe if you want, minus the boost of course. For example, if you play a Marshall, or similarly voiced amp, a Nord will be fantastic. If you play a blackface Fender with the bright switch on, you are much better off with the Custom or C-Luxe. It's just a safer recommendation.

17. droptopt

droptopt Silver Supporting Member

You seem to have a good knowledge of the Fetto line. I played a friend's early Standard (#17) and it was a little noisy compared to other pedals at similar gain settings. Have they gotten quieter over the years? Thinking of getting a Custom.

18. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

I had a Fitzo. To my ears, it sounded very hi-fi, and didn't work for me at all. I sold it the same day I got it

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  19. 66Park

66Park Member

Ok. We all get it. You didn't like the Fitzo. Stop insulting people who do with your "Charge people ALOT of $$ and they will convince themselves it sounds good." That's about the sixth time you've posted that with almost the exact wording, only this time you forgot the !!!!!!!!!!. Sorry you lost a few bucks, but your vendetta is a little ridiculous. Do you think it's possible that it just didn't suit your taste and that it may work great for others? There are two demo videos in this thread, so people can judge for themselves.

20. 66Park

66Park Member

I have no experience with the early Standards, but I have four current Fettos, and they are extremely quiet. Perhaps there was something amiss with your friend's pedal.