1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

So tell be about the COT 50!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eric-d, Mar 20, 2006.

1. eric-d

eric-d Member

What does it do exactly? I'm trying to understand what the BIAS knob actually does...... I listened to all the clips on the LOVEPEDAL webpage, and it sounds like four different pedals. How does it do it? Thanks in advance!

2. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

It's a great power amp like overdrive. When the bias is set to minimum it gives a little volume boost when engaged plus some dirt. It's very plexi like, think Jimi, AC/DC and such.. When you turn the bias control clockwise it gets to the fuzz face territory, you get plenty of gain but not that much more volume (at least with mine). Sounds great on all settins and cleans up really well from the guitar volume even with higher gain settings. Love it!

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

So the Bias doesn't really increase your volume, just gain? So this pedal would be one of the first in your chain since there isn't much boost for soloing or there is enough boost? I guess I need to look to the Pedal Board Thread again and see where everyone's putting it in the signal path.

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

That's what I've noticed, yeah, although some have disagreed..IMO it works a bit like a non master volume tube amp that's started to distort, after a point you only get more gain, not volume.

I use it first in the chain, and I think this is definately the way to go: the COT is the pedal to goose other pedals with. it's worked extremely wel with every pedal I've tried it with, bringing out new flavours and just making them better. I love it!

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

I agree with everything you've said so far. Volume boost when it's on, but not much (if any) volume increase as the bias is increased. I also use mine first in the chain. In my experience it definitely works best with a non master amp on the verge of break up, but I've also had great results using it with my Club Royale dialed for slight dirt using the master.

6. fatback

fatback Member

-excactly!

A red light COT50 is an indispensble part of my apartment/low volume recording rig, (pedals into a Princeton Reverb.). I leave the COT50 on at its minimun setting before a tube o.d. pedal, (Valveboy) and can go from clean to scream using just the volume knob on a single coil guitar.

Tube od pedals can add a nice dynamic compression and some glassiness to the high-end. Unfortunately, most I've tried can be rather flat and weak sounding in the mids. The COT50 solves this perfectly. At its minimum setting the COT acts like a mild grit boost, with a very nice upper mid peak. Into a clean Fender, it isn't a very pretty sound, but into a an overdriven amp or a tube o.d. pedal, the COT50 is pure MAGIC!.

:YinYang

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+1 guys. The COT is totally priceless for me, couldnt live without it.
    I agree that it's best with a non master volume amp verging on break up (but then again, what isn't best that way? :dude).. Works great also with my amp using the master volume too.

I've tried my setup for couple of rehearsals and one gig now without the master volume and running the amp clean (this is a necessity, I would love to drive it harder but then again we have drums and other instruments that have to be heard too ;)). Works pretty well like this as well, but in this application maybe the Timmy works a bit better. Then again, even when the amp is clean the COT delivers the good with other pedals..

8. guitar-rookie

guitar-rookie Supporting Member

so, what's the best pair for the COT50 in your opinion?

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

That's just impossible to say! I've liken everything with it.. My first "WOW!!!" came from COT50 plus a Hot Cake for a super woody overdriven sound. Since I've digged the COT with the BJF EGDM, Lovepedal Eternity (just perfect couple, again) and lately the Timmy. Can't sa which combination is the best.

I've said this before, but the COT is like a great harmony singer, that can do the leads as well ;). Think about it like this: you've got your basic od tone happening, it souns like a two-part harmony, but when you turn on the COT it brings a new voice and harmony to the mix.. It's just wonderful, whatever you use the COT with you get new overtones. Dig!

10. jpagey

jpagey Member

Yes, volume (and gain) boost increases as knob goes cw. Not sure of the amount, but it is noticeably louder--at least on the 6 CoT variants I currently own. ymmv

11. guitar-rookie

guitar-rookie Supporting Member

what's the diff between the blue or the red led COT?
    thx.

12. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

This is so weird, 'cause I dont seem to notice that much of a volume increase. Maybe it's just how different people hear gain vs. volume..

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

I'm with you. There is a point where, to my ears, only the gain is increasing. Mine is currently out on loan but I'll hook it up and listen closely when I get it back.

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Well that's going to depend on the headroom,gain structure, compression characteristics of your amp too of course. If the amps running dead clean you're going to hear far more volume lift than if it's all ready on the edge of clipping.

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

mprsvise, yeah, it's been talked about here quite much and there seems to be "camps" about this matter :) Mine is definately that way!

Realfi, excellent point! I have mostly used the COT on an amp that's already on the verge of breakup, but so has jpagey, it seems!

16. BuddyPo'

BuddyPo' Member

I think Sean indicated to me that the COT50 had approx a 5db boost which just adds a nice and noticable presence. I also go to this pedal alot.

17. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Gold Supporting Member

yup yup..

depends on the amp and how much headroom is there.. So if the amp is working, you wont notice a boost..

18. jhc

jhc Senior Member

At the risk of being super redundant, I definitely notice a volume boost but I'm running an amp with plenty of headroom.

19. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Could someone chime in and compare the Cot50 to the Balance. I read another thread where it was compared to a 200 lb. COT. So, is it just MORE of what the COT does with a little more gain, or something totally different.? Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I thought some of you might have both. I saw Fatback's video and it sounds much more like high gain when he kicks in the Balance. On its own, would it still have a lot of gain?

20. fatback

fatback Member

The COT50 and Balance are beautiful pedals that each do their own unique thing. I should mention that I use them at very low settings into a tube o.d. which is probably not how most folks will use them.

The Cot50 has a slight upper mid peak and very dynamic grit that can really add presence under gain. The Balance seem to push the highs and the lows in a more linear fashion. Because they aren't pumping the same frequencies, they don't get in each others way and stack very well. Together they can create a very rich, dynamic fuzz/boost that can turn a flat crunch tone into a nice juicy lead tone, especially with single coils.

At their higher settings, the Balance does have substantialy more boost and gain than the COT50.