So tell me a bit about the Shiva....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StevenS, Sep 5, 2005.

1. StevenS

StevenS Member

Pros, cons. I've seen them described as a cross between a Twin Reverb, and a JCM800. Would that be a fair comparison?
    Are there a lot of tones on tap? I like a really rich, full clean that can go to moderately broken up to the aforementioned JCM800 crunch and a bit beyond. Don't need a metal amp.

I've currently got a Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Vox AC15, and a TSL100. They're all nice amps, but I'm just pineing lately for something better/different. God, does it ever end :)

2. devbro

devbro Member

Hey Steven,
    Do a search for Shiva. There are hundereds of posts on this subject.

I've got an El34 head and play through a oversize 2x12 with V30's. I love the clean channel and the drive channel breaks up quite nicely although it's somewhat darker than I'd like. I brighten it up with the presence control. The effects loop IMO is useless. It's got a bizarre boost amp feature and it seems to suck the life right out of my tone so I don't use it. Lately, I've been driving the clean channel with pedals for my drive sound and I think I prefer it to the drive channel. I'm using a Fulltone FDII but I've got a Timmy on order. I may even try a Zendrive. It's a pretty easy amp to dial in.

I love my Shiva

:D

3. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I, too, have an EL-34 head, w/reverb. I use a variety of cabinets, but mostly a Celestion-loaded VHT Fat Bottom 2x10. Like devbro, I find the effects loop to be a total waste and priimarily use the clean channel, getting overdrive via a ZenDrive and a MiniMos. I think it's the kind of amp that makes you wish you'd gotten one sooner.

4. Ken

Ken Member

Tune into the show Rockstar INXS tonight on CBS.

The lead player for the house band uses two Shiva's. That is the tone!

I use a TIM and a Pro Analog Dual Drive with mine :)

5. kselbee

kselbee Member

I used to have the EL34 combo and sold it and always regretted it. I just recently got another, but this time the EL34 head. It is a sweet amp! The BEST clean I've heard and the OD ain't bad either. I push the OD with a Fulldrive 2 for lotsa gain, or just use the amps gain for moderate. I'm very pleased with the amp overall and have yet to play through anything that I'd consider replacing it with. It's a pretty dark and compressed tone and not metal type gain. Very nice reverb as well.

6. StevenS

StevenS Member

I've been listening to the clips on the Bogner site, and found them to sound nice, but a little dark. I'm leaning to the EL34 w/reverb side for more of a Marshall vibe. Will the treble and presence controls lighten it up a bit?
    I'm not looking for AC30 brightness, but a little lighter would be nice.

7. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

:AOK
    +1

I ended up only using the clean channel on mine and hit it with Analogman TS-9 Silver and some others pedals, killer sound. 6L6 head. Great for Blues, country, rock.. Not Death Metal but I was able to get some serious grind when using the right pedal.
    Never took to the dirty channel much. The reverb is ok.
    Overall a great amp.

Richard

8. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

I've had my Shiva for a couple of years now. For me, nothing else has been able to beat it yet. I must say I don't understand the knock on the effects loop. I run my DD20 delay through it and I think it sounds great. Of course the special cable IS needed but it works. I wonder what you guys that are knocking it are running through it, are you using the special cable?

Kevin

9. kselbee

kselbee Member

It's got quite a bit of low end, and dark as you mention, but with the EQ and presence you can certainly lighten it up considerably.

10. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

The only thing I didn't care for about the Shiva, was the lack (or apparent) lack of sustain on the high end of the drive channel. It made soloing a frustrating proposition. A mild boost from a FDII or other took care of it, but it was strange. Interestingly most people I know with Shivas now run them in the clean channel only and get their dirt from pedals.

11. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

In my case it's a G-Force, with the special cable. I also have two friends with Shiva combos who've tried running effects units through their amp's loops, both with and without the special cable, and they each found it to be more trouble than it's worth.

If do you get a Shiva, don't buy the "special" cable. You can get everything you need to make one yourself at your local Radio Shack for under $5.00.

12. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I have the EL34 reverb head, the dirty channel is ok, but not enough for me, so I use the clean channel and push it with a mix of a Jykell & Hyde and a Fulltone Soulbender for the dirtier stuff. It's pretty nice, sometimes I wonder if I should try an Uberschall for my metal head cravings.

[​IMG]

13. Rob Husulak

Rob Husulak Guest

I think the issue with the loop is just the cable. the loop was excellent for delay and chorus.

On the drive channel, I found it better sounding at approx 2pm on the gain and if needed any more, use a booster, light od or bright light fuzz sounded fantastic.

Not to pimp mine, but in emporium is mine and couple others, I bought mine new. used is great with bogners.

Rob

14. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I ran a EL34/reverb Shiva for about 3 or 4 years doing rock covers. Amp always sounded great, never any issues.

It does not do the "pushed" clean/light OD tone real well. The loop is troublesome; you can get it to work but is a hassle.

I flat out love that amp and will have another someday.

15. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I found the key to be to max the clean channel volume, get the master volume to at least 12 o'clock, and bring the clean EQ's down to say 9 o'clock, then use guitar volume to suite....with that tweaking you could go from great clean to a nice pushed clean....put an RC Boost in front and it just get's that much better.

Then, adjust gain and gain volume to taste. With the master so high you will need to drop the gain and gain volume significantly.

This was the key to a great blues/blues rock sound.

Before that I used to set the gain high and the master volume low..and I thought the gain channel was too dark..the clean channel was sweet, but did not do the pushed clean. I could not bond with the gain channel in this manner.

I loved the reverb, but found that as you moved to gig level volume the reverb took off ....and replacing the 12ax7 with a 12at7 worked wonders.

Keep with the chinese 12ax7..moving to JJ's was a real bad move...jj's rock in everything else I tried, but not in the Shiva. Dull and lifeless.

16. sws1

sws1 Member

That sounds like a VERY LOUD clean channel. Even at gigs, I can't seem to get the vols on my shiva up that high before I'm told to turn down.

17. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

You may be right....but it seems to work out...roll back the guitar volume a little...it seemed to me that once you got the master to 11 or 12 it didn't really get that much hlouder but it did add some grit.

Bringing the EQ down was key in helping to tame the volume. By bringing down both treble and bass it helped to lower the volue...it was a trick I learned on my Fender Prosonic which allowed you to take the amp all the way down to silence by minimizing the eq's.

The key is to keep the rest of the band down...and then just let the shiva be the volume violater! Like that works with drummers and bassists...........not.

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

Blues...

How do you like the Two Rock Custom Reverb? I tried one at the American Guitar Boutique in St. Paul, MN, and it rocked!!

I'm also a fan of the Shiva - how do the two amps compare, in your opinion? What is the problem with the Effects Loop on the Shiva? Alot of guys seem to hate it...