So tell me about Budda amps. Decent? Reliable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingsxman, Jun 28, 2005.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I currently play a Marshall JCM 800 2205. 2 channel. While its not a bad amp...I think the drive is still a bit grainy/buzzy for my tastes. A bit thin. I'm not into super high gain at all. In fact, I like that classic rock "fat thick" sound. (Think old Aerosmith, AC/DC or GNR). All probably Marshall sounds...I know. I love the sound of a JCM 800 2203 or 2204...but I need a good clean channel too as my band does a lot of clean stuff.

I played through a Budda Superdrive 18 yesterday and was blown away at the sound. I loved it. Cleans were really nice (not Fender..but had thier own thing going). But the drive channel just floored me. It was fat, thick and just dripping with tone. None of that grainy buzziness I get out of my JCM 800.

I am now considering selling my JCM 800 but am not sure what Budda amp would be best. I'm afraid the 18 watter wouldnt have enough for alot of the gigs I play. (200-300 seat bars). I mic my amp and just need to hear myself. Are the SD18 and SD30 basically just the same amp...with the SD30 just having more power?

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Budda's are great amps, and I haven't heard about anyone having any problems.
    I loved my old Stringmaster

Give me a Dollar or give me fifty cents.
    Let me take it back
    If that ain't what I meant
    :dude :dude :dude

3. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I had an SD80 and it smoked, a great amp that IMO sounded liike a mix of Marhsall/Vox with some mesa Boogie gain thrown in there. If I wasn't happy with my Bogner, another Budda Superdrive would be at the top of my list [​IMG]

4. Ricker

Ricker Member

All the superdrives have exactly the same preamps.
    The 18 and 30 have a tube rectifier while the 80 has a SS rec.
    The 18 and 30 also have more of a Chime with the el84s.
    Don't be fooled by the 80s 6l6,5881 tubes.
    It is more el34 sounding than an el34 amp...he he he
    The 80 has the clean headroom and is Fat, punchy in the mids with very Fast attack.
    A very tight amp.....with a very Smooth top-end.....no Buzz or Fizz here.
    If you want an 80 be prepared to get an attenuator as it is %$%*ing loud.........I have a Bogner shiva and a Koch Multitone 100 and I tell you this budda takes them out.
    I think it has something to do with the SDs being cathode biased amps and they run pretty hot.

I had the sd30 about 5 years ago and have been gigging with my sd80 since 2000..........mmmmmm....great amp......every JCM 800 wants to be an sd80:D

Cheers
    Rick

5. kingsxman

THanks Ricker. Its good to hear that any of the Budda's dont have the grainyness of the marshall. THere still IS a sound I like out of that Marshall....but I really liked what I heard on the Budda. I'll have to do more testing I guess.

I've heard a few of your clips. Do you have any clips of just the sound of the SD80 playing rhythm so we can hear how it sounds with chords?

6. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

That's actually a good way to describe the tone JCM800-ish, but smoother. The 18 doesn't have a whole lot of clean headroom. The 30 is a good step up in that regard. In terms of volume, the 18 is "manageable", the 30 is "pants-flapping" and the 80 is "armageddon." ;) The 30 is probably the most practical of the three....

ps - Ricker, the preamps aren't exactly the same. I used to think they were, too, until I had an 18 to go with my 80 and opened them both up. There are different value components in the preamp. Jeff Bober later confirmed that the 80 is voiced a bit more "aggressively" than the 18 and 30...

7. kingsxman

I doubt I'd go as far as an sd80. I'd probably be looking at a sd30. I wish we had dealers here in Minnesota.

8. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well you learn something everyday:)
    Thanks
    Rick

9. B Vance

B Vance Member

A buddy of mine has a Superdrive 80 head with a 2x12 matching cab. The amp has the best tude distortion I have ever heard. I never like high gain, but this amp manages to impress me thoroughly.

10. kingsxman

I played the amp again today. Man, what an amp. That overdrive is just so fat and thick.... I did get some noise as I turned the gain up... But I really never had to turn the gain up on the drive channel more than 12:00 as it was really thick at that point.

I may have to get one. Now to decide if an 18 watter will do me or I need the 30. I think I need the 30 as the clean channel was breaking up on me a bit pretty early.

11. japhy

japhy Member

12. PAF

PAF Member

Only amp I really regret selling was my Dual Stage 30

13. Ricker

Ricker Member

The 18 is never gonna give you clean headroom.......even the 30 is quite dirty on the clean.......but it sounds like the 30 would suit your needs.......
    Rick

14. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

Hey bro,...I'm the guy that had an SD30 for sale and decided to keep. You emailed me.

The 30 sounds like it would suit your needs,...but I hear the new SD45 just kills. You might want to check it out if you get the chance as well. BTW, love your moniker,...I'm a King's X head too. :dude

15. Ricker

Ricker Member

Hey howzat man...(it is Bill isn't it...he he he)

What does the sd45 offer that the rest don't
    Does the 45 have the same preamp as the 30 or the 80?

Take it easy
    Rick

16. John55

John55 Member

Not to butt in here, but I was just talking with my dealer about the new 45 Budda. He tells me it is KT66 tubed and is supposed to be a JTM45/Bluesbreaker type amp on the clean channel, with the usual Budda OD on the gain side. Same pre-amp section as the others.

17. Willie

Willie Member

Yeah I really like the early sd30's the best.....just so much crunch and singing lead tones.....I mean they are magical....tube with jjs and play with the 12ax7s.....really sensitive amps that can become totally smooth and creamy, but with that English bite .... you cant get a bad sound out of them unless you just dime everything and blow your speakers......my line up is 1 two rock, 1 Dr Z , 2 Alessandros, and a ptp budda sd30.....the Budda never fails to amaze me.....the master is superbly done...a bit sensitive to pedals, best to go straight in with nothing in the loop, or use a really good delay in front.....anything else is really gilding the lilly...

18. kingsxman

Well, I pulled the trigger on a new SD30 today. Got it for the same price as used. Too cool. Wont have it for a couple of weeks..but worth the wait at this savings.

KingsX is coming out with a new CD by the Bill. They are bringing in an outside producer this time (thank god) and it supposedly is in the DogMan/Ear Candy vein. My 2 favorite CD's from them.

19. kingsxman

Hey willie, your worrying me here.... I like to use a Delay/chorus (Visual Sounds H2o) and EQ in the loop. EQ is for lead boosts.

I shouldnt have any issues with that should I?

20. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

I was about to post that my experiences with the loop of the sd80 are very different than Willie's. I actually run an echoplex in the loop 100% of the time. When I don't want echo, I just turn the echo volume down, but leave it on and in the loop, and I am a real stickler about tone-sucking effects....I doubt you'll have any issues. The loop is very friendly, IMO.