So, Tell Me About The Instant Pot

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by WoRn FrEtS, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

2. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

I had one (until I accidentally turned on a burner on the stove where the instant pot was sitting, and melted its bottom off!)

I like it for a few things, mainly, quickly cooking rice and chicken.

However, I found that if you make the same exact meal—one in the Instant Pot, and one in a crock pot— the one in the crock pot always has a deeper or richer flavor.

Perhaps it’s merely a function of time.

Although when I let the food simmer in the instant pot for a few hours, it still never comes out as flavorful as the food in the crockpot.

Anybody else have this same experience?

Slash likes this.
  3. bsthetech

bsthetech Supporting Member

Ya, like I said it’s strength is speed. I was going to make a stew today but I knew one simmering all day would be better. There is a youtube vid where a lady cooks stew in both a proper pressure cooker and the Instantpot to compare speed. The old fashioned pc got hotter, browned faster, built steam faster, and produced a better meal. The Instantpot was more convenient, and safer for weinies. It’s has its place, but it’s not a be all/end all.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  4. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

We've had one for about a year. It's good for speeding up meals. Making Stock is a 60 minute exercise Bone Broth is a fake food item - it's just Broth made with Bones so it has Carrots, Celery etc.... Stock has just bones - rarely anything else. . Things that I particularly like - Pinto Beans or Beans of any kind - no soaking - wash them off - 15 minutes in the IP - done - beans are soft. Carnitas - pork takes about 30 minutes - then pop it out on to a cookie sheet and let it crisp up in the oven. Short Ribs - sear them in the IP - then sear the onions, garlic etc....then put the short ribs in the IP with vegetables of choice - 35 minutes later you'll have perfect Short Ribs.

Any stew or Chili takes a very short time. 15 - 20 minutes or less. HardBoiled Eggs...easy peazy. Basically anything you attempt in a Slow Cooker/Crock Pot - you'll do in the IP in 1/10th the time.

Please don't get into using the IP for everything - I read about dumbass people making Hamburgers, Steaks etc...it's not for that.

5. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

I WILL probably get another one, because it IS a huge time saver to cook the foods I’m always eating— chicken, rice, fish.

I’m not a hater at all.

Just surprised that the cooked food tasted different than when cooked in a traditional crock pot.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  6. RunninWDevil

RunninWDevil Member

so... it's just stock?

Stike likes this.
  7. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

New old stock.

QRSS, Washburnmemphis, shane8 and 3 others like this.
  8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Hard boiled eggs, give them five minutes then five minutes release time, drop them in cold water, cooked perfectly every time, and the cold water is a not so new method to get them to peel easily. I arbitrarily picked the five minutes at the end, and just stuck to it because it worked. You do have to keep in mind that stuff keeps cooking during that time.

Not really a big time saver for eggs, some but not huge, but the results are better and on a consistent basis than anything I could ever do the old fashioned way.

We probably use it for steaming artichokes more than anything else--but we do that a lot. A lot of meats as it turns out I like better cooked in the oven. But I guess you can do both, cook in the Instant Pot, then brown in the oven.

9. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

Liked it at first but gets old quick.

QRSS likes this.
  10. RJLII

RJLII Member

I'm sure they have their place. In my house their place would be the graveyard of abandoned kitchen appliances.

QRSS likes this.
  11. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

Friends gave me one last year for a present. I'm so lazy that I haven't used it once. Bad bad boy.

12. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

13. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

I have two, a 6qt and a 3qt. I use it probably 3 times a week. My wife loves this chicken spaghetti I make, I do all sorts of peas and beans. It makes great stew meat and gravy. I make mac and cheese and only have to clean one pot. I'm sold.

14. Stike

Stike Member

AdrenalinJunkie likes this.
  15. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Just got one too. My fav so far is the oatmeal made with steel cut oats. I add dried mango, raisins, cinnamon, chai seeds and serve with milk and real maple syrup.

16. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Wait until you learn about Hot Pot

17. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Pork chops with rice and gravy.

Chicken and rice.

Collard greens in 30 minutes.

I use mine for all kinds of stuff and I really like it.

18. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

I have cooked chili in ours a few times but I prefer to cook chili on the stove top. We use the slow cooker(crock pot) a lot more often than the pressure cooker. Actually I had forgot we had it till I saw this thread.

19. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

Yes.... see my above post.