So tell me about Tyler guitars...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by GM1, May 9, 2005.

1. GM1

GM1 Member

I was at Tone Merchants last week and by chance picked up a Tyler guitar. I really did not expect to like these guitars at all. I mean they just never appealed to me. I have to say I was really surprised when I sat down and played one. It felt really good, very broken in and round sounding like my old Strats. I liked it better than the Suhrs and they are very nice guitars. So does anyone out there have a classic. The basic Strat three single coil model. And, how would you rate the finish on the classics ( Two Tone, Three Tone bursts) What kind of pups do you have?

Seems that the Classic is not his most popular guitar nor what he is known for, but being a traditional vintage guy the classic would be the right guitar for me. I have a Lentz, which is the best guitar I own. The Lentz is different from the Tyler. Hard to draw comparisons, the Tyler just has this broken in vibe I really like.

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

I was the same as you, I didn't think I'd like them either but was pleasantly surprised and _really_ liked at least 2 of the 4 or 5 a local dealer had in stock. They were the ones with the puke colored finish and they had unbuckers in the bridge. I found them very nice to play and extremely resonant. I may wind up getting one myself.

3. miltwill

miltwill Member

I recently purchased a Tyler Classic and i absolutely love it. Mine is black with a tortoise guard. Suhr V60LP's and a JB trembucker at the bridge. I actually wanted to buy a Studio Elite, but this particular guitar just felt and sounded right. They do feel very broken in right out of the box. I think Tyler's craftsmanship is very evident once you pick one up and spend a little time with it. To me its not so much a fit and finish thing, but more the vibe and soul... it is not a piece of furniture at all, it is a guitar that was meant to be played. The neck and fretwork is off the charts good! Mine even smells like wood. Tone wise i was looking for something very even and warm, but still glassy and quacky... i didn't want something too bright or fake sounding. The Tyler nails this perfectly. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

4. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have a Burning Water Tyler with 2 DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Single Coils, and a Duncan JB in the bridge. No mid boost...just the straight SSH config.
    The board is rosewood. The trem is Wilkinson.
    This guitar sounds and plays just like the member above described. Strat like quack and bell tones with a bit of warmth. The neck feels broken in and the fretwork is just top drawer. I dig the scalloping too...playing up on the neck and riffing is a breeze.
    Overall, great guitar...one of my faves.

S.
    j

5. miltwill

miltwill Member

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

never played a Tyler but would like to check them out sometime...interesting comments about the "broken in" feel...while I can appreciate the sentiment, I tend to like to break in guitars myself....as you play them over the course of time, they break in according to your own style and playing, which to me is ideal.... in that way a great guitar gets even better over the course of time

just my 2 cents

7. 3Sides

3Sides Member

I wish they came in a 1 11/16th neck width :(

8. floobeedust

floobeedust Member

There was a Tyler anniversary model classic that came out in the late 90's..I think it has Fralins in it [ I think ] and is about as vintage as a Tyler gets.....what pickups are in a particular Tyler make the world of difference to the sound..its a little misleading making comparisons between Tylers based on an assessment of one Tyler only ..there are a number of fundamentally different sounding Tylers depending on electronics , however they all generally have common ground as far as feel and playability goes...I take um over the rest of the pack ....

9. Check out my website.
    There's a ton of shots up there.

www.tylerguitars.co.uk

It wasn't just anniversary models that had Fralin's. Jim used them in Classics from about 96-99/2000. He then switched to Suhr's. I hear he is about to go into pickup production himself?

Steve

10. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

Some do. I'm looking into one now.

11. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

I like the Classic- it shares the '59 backshape from the SE and has a more "vintage" appearance.

Having said that, the SE HD are my faves.

They have the SE body style and pickguard, but can be spec'd like any vintage guitar (3 singles, 6 screw bridge, solid color, etc).

I would agree with your "broken in" description. I went thru many guitars before my first Tyler 5 years ago. NOTHING feels like it.

The only analogy I can give is to go drive an old muscle car with a big block. It will leave you with the same smile on your face.

Matt

12. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I only play Tyler s-types:

[​IMG]

This is my #1

[​IMG]

13. Stefan S

Stefan S Member

Yes, only Tyler S-Styles!
    [​IMG]

14. funkle

funkle Member

Way to revive an old thread! I just got my first Tyler. I generally prefer 1 11/16" nuts, but the 1 5/8" Tyler 59 neck feel fine. 1 5/8 is usually not a problem on fuller necks like this.

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Ummm... I'm 95% sure my Studio Elite has a 1 & 11 nut on a 59 neck carve.

16. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I love my SE.

[​IMG]

Two Tyler Hot Laura single pickups, Secret Bridge Humbucker, Small '59 neck profile. Nothing like it, just an amazing guitar.

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

Steve,

Is this the one you brought over?

I've played a few Tylers - let's just say I forget about the headstock after hearing them....

18. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

once you have one in your hands, the headstock becomes a MOOT point REALLY quick......:dude

19. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

I just put down a deposit on an Ultimate Weapon. The specs list it as 1 11/16th.

20. thenine

thenine Member

coolness. what finish did you go for?