So THAT'S how you get that sound!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jezzzz2003, May 19, 2008.

1. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

So... Ive been using a 1960ax 4x12 cab for a while now with a 50w plexi top, it sounds good thats for sure BUT...

I borrowed a mates 1960a 300w cab and used a full stack at an outdoor venue yesterday and holy hell... a 3d wall of sound, wasnt that loud, perhaps even quieter (perceived) than just the one cab
    I just cant believe how different the amp sounded, it was a night n day example, Ive played just the 1960a cab before many times and it never sounded like this..

jus thought Id share :)

2. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Everything sounds different outside. Maybe it was partially the cab but also the fact that the amp had room to breath so to speak.

Nothing does sound quite as good as a full stack pushing all that air though.

Scott

3. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Yeah, there is so much to be had in mixing cabs, speakers, sounds, etc

Imagine if you had ANOTHER amp going as well. Ah, the ooooold days must have been grand. Sadly, these days you can't do that kinda thing.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Could it be something like the transformers working a bit harder to run 2 4x12's? I would imagine that's what it's designed for, so once it's pushed more, you get more of the goods?

Anyway, agree with outside sounding different too.

EP

5. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

Another factor to consider: Where was you 1960a placed, relative to your head/ears when you used both cabs? If it was at ear level, as opposed to the lower position of a half stack, I would guess that that would effect your perception of the sound.

6. Johnson

Johnson Member

I have to agree that there is just something about the way a fullstack sounds that can't be had with one 4x12 alone. At one point I had two Orange 4x12 cabs. One with 4 v30's and the other with the 75watters. It sounded HUGE, I loved it. Unfortunately I ended up selling the cab with the 75 watters, and I have regretted it! The only problem was lugging two 4x12 cabs around to gigs...

7. Ace_F4i

Ace_F4i Member

ah yes.. now adays the sound man is the enemy for sure. and the cops. and the bitchy teeny bopper audience members that would rather listen to fergie tell you how she tastes. why can't people just let rock n' roll happen?

8. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Well I usually get to use my amp as it was intended, near full up but the two cabs just sounded massive, they were both on the floor, one next to each other, just fantastic, not that loud really, the drums were only mic'd kik n snare, sounded great out front.