• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

So the Apple M1 is already about to be upstaged by the M1X. Would the 32 cores do any better with Logic?

Stx

I see the M1X chip could be out this fall. 32 cores. Anyone know if those cores would be likely to translate into better performance with Logic (or other DAWs)? Or maybe you need to pick the core that does the work? If it's no faster, no better performance?

eicca

Are you already pushing the limits of Logic? If no, not really any point in waiting...

My 2010 Mac Pro doesn't crack 30% CPU usage when I'm running a fully-finished rock-n-roll recording project with a fair amount of samplers, synths and plugins. The M1 is even more powerful than that.

TheSchwartz

I’m on a maxed out M1 mini running Logic. I recently was working on a project with about 30 CPU intensive Spitfire Audio tracks, and the CPU meter barely moved. So far I’m satisfied with the machine, though I would have liked 32 GB of RAM.

poppunk

I see the M1X chip could be out this fall. 32 cores. Anyone know if those cores would be likely to translate into better performance with Logic (or other DAWs)? Or maybe you need to pick the core that does the work? If it's no faster, no better performance?
Whether more cores and the relationship to threading showing a noticeable improvement is completely application dependent. You'd have to be doing some crazy multi-channel processing in order to start worrying about optimizing like this.

It is not straightforward. You can actually make things slower by forcing multi-threading in Logic (and any software, really). I work with a lot of heavy computational loads at work, and when we buy new computers we evaluate what the intended application is. If we think we'll use more cores we'll buy the processors with more cores, but a lot of what we do is setup/input output limited so parallel processing is actually slower so we just get the processor with the fastest clock speed.

Reactions: Stx

Stx

I’m on a maxed out M1 mini running Logic. I recently was working on a project with about 30 CPU intensive Spitfire Audio tracks, and the CPU meter barely moved. So far I’m satisfied with the machine, though I would have liked 32 GB of RAM.
How much RAM does it have?

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
I think the news was pretty clear right from the start that the Pro series chips would offer yet another performance increase. When the software and hardware compatibility issues are all addressed, I think the next MBP will be pretty compelling for a few reasons. I don't tend to stress CPU much in my setup, but I do consume the 32GBs of available RAM I have

jbreeden

One great thing about Mac minis is that they hold value pretty well as computers go. My plan was always to treat this first M1 as a stop-gap solution. I'll sell and upgrade into the more capable version whenever it comes out.

Ozan

Let’s not forget that the new chipset might introduce new incompatibility issues for vsts and softwares etc.

I’m still suffering from this even though almost 9 months passed since M1 Macs launched.

makerdp

Let's face it... DAWs really don't push the limits of CPU performance like video editing or gaming does. IMO the best bang-for-your-buck right now hands-down is the M1 Mini 16GB. I don't see that changing with a new processor release any time soon.

Jim Roseberry

Let's face it... DAWs really don't push the limits of CPU performance like video editing or gaming does.
For a typical DAW user, that's true.

For more of a power-user scenario (composer running large scoring templates, someone pushing the limits of ultra low latency performance), the M1 (currently) isn't that CPU.

Apple doesn't market the M1 Mini for "workstation" type power-users.
That's not the intended end-user/market.

The M1 Mac Mini manages the 16GB RAM extremely well...
BUT, it's still a limitation (for more intensive use).
If you try to use it in more of a "workstation" capacity; the RAM compression, VM Swapfile use can cause projects to take a long while to fully load.
Note that I'm talking larger scale projects using numerous massive Kontakt libraries.

I've compared the M1 side-by-side with the 5950x.
It's by no means a fair comparison ($800 CPU vs. $800 machine)... but just to get an idea of the relative performance.

For ultra low latency audio performance (at light to moderate CPU loads), the M1 performed great.
With heavier loads, the 5950x smoked it (as you'd expect).
5950x can run much heavier CPU loads at a 32-sample ASIO buffer size (before audible glitches).
A 32-core M1x with 64-128GB RAM would be a much more equal comparison.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member

If they make Logic available to the 32 cores it will translate out to better performance, It doesn't tax my system as it is - 2017 MacBook Pro - and I run a lot of tracks, snyths and plugins.

makerdp

For a typical DAW user, that's true.

For more of a power-user scenario (composer running large scoring templates, someone pushing the limits of ultra low latency performance), the M1 (currently) isn't that CPU.

Apple doesn't market the M1 Mini for "workstation" type power-users.
That's not the intended end-user/market.

The M1 Mac Mini manages the 16GB RAM extremely well...
BUT, it's still a limitation (for more intensive use).
If you try to use it in more of a "workstation" capacity; the RAM compression, VM Swapfile use can cause projects to take a long while to fully load.
Note that I'm talking larger scale projects using numerous massive Kontakt libraries.

I've compared the M1 side-by-side with the 5950x.
It's by no means a fair comparison ($800 CPU vs. $800 machine)... but just to get an idea of the relative performance.

For ultra low latency audio performance (at light to moderate CPU loads), the M1 performed great.
With heavier loads, the 5950x smoked it (as you'd expect).
5950x can run much heavier CPU loads at a 32-sample ASIO buffer size (before audible glitches).
A 32-core M1x with 64-128GB RAM would be a much more equal comparison.
Sure but with my UA Apollos latency is not an issue. But if you are doing massive orchestration, post-production video/audio work... yes you are right you need something more high-end. But the typical user here is going to be just fine with an M1 IMHO.

Stokely

I have a decently-specced 2016 macbook pro (the one with the horrific keyboard/trackpad, no prob though as I use a mouse and keyboard!). I do run into issues after a bunch of midi tracks, depending on which plugins and which quality settings in them I use-- I tend to use uhe's Repro a lot so that is one reason. I have to start freezing tracks.

I figure the current M1 would be an upgrade, and the M1X probably a massive one. But it's certainly not a show stopper so I don't have plans to upgrade any time real soon.

I'm not too happy with Apples latest thing about the pic-searching and I'm adopting a wait-and-see on that. Not liking what I've read so far. I use Windows all day for my regular job and I wouldn't have too much problem switching considering the number of 3rd party plugins I have.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
FWIW - I have the 2021 M1 iPad Pro.

A client just Dropbox'd me a 3min vid clip in 4k/24p that was out of sync and needed to be aligned and edited.
I did it all in the LumaFusion app on my iPad Pro. Took 5 min.
Rendered the finished video out in real time, uploaded it back to his DB acct. all in the app.

Oh yeah, it runs TH-U, GB, and every other app I throw at it just fine.
Kind of crazy how powerful it is.

TonyCass

FWIW - I have the 2021 M1 iPad Pro.

A client just Dropbox'd me a 3min vid clip in 4k/24p that was out of sync and needed to be aligned and edited.
I did it all in the LumaFusion app on my iPad Pro. Took 5 min.
Rendered the finished video out in real time, uploaded it back to his DB acct. all in the app.

Oh yeah, it runs TH-U, GB, and every other app I throw at it just fine.
Kind of crazy how powerful it is.
I just wish it could run macos apps. Specifically Logic Pro and FM3 edit. Or Ableton Live.

The M1 iPad pro is perfect hardware that is totally limited by iPadOS.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
I just wish it could run macos apps. Specifically Logic Pro and FM3 edit. Or Ableton Live.

The M1 iPad pro is perfect hardware that is totally limited by iPadOS.
I agree completely. I have a 16" MBP but I spend most of my time on the IPad for everything.
It does need more "pro" touch friendly apps.,

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
Well the M1 is super fast and claims to be 9x faster than the previous intel so I bet the M1x will be even better and faster. Also, one of the guys at work got a new M1 Air with 16gb or ram and says it blows his older upgraded 15" with 32gb of ram out the water.

I can't wait to get a new MBP

~ss

HCMarkus

I bought the M1 Air with 16GB RAM for live use with MainStage; it performs beautifully.

Currently running Digital Performer on a 2010 12 core Mac Pro in the studio; DP11 just came out, and it will run natively on the M1 hardware. When I get a chance I'm gonna' test it and compare to the ancient Mac Pro, but I still have concerns re: plugins; many important plugins (Kontakt!) still require Rosetta2 to function on Apple Silicon. I am running several instances of Kontakt on the Air under MainStage/Rosetta2 without issue, but studio demands are a lot higher.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom