So the Deluxe Memory Man still does it for me every time...

StompThatBox

I too love the DMM and have a Analog.Man re-moded one but at the NAMM show I did test out the New Deluxe Memory Boy with the Tap Tempo and the expression pedal and I must say this Boy has a lot to offer. Do check it out... the expression pedal can do a lot of super things. I personaly liked it in the feedback mood where it transformed the notes into long trailing feedbacks and then I could pull it back to norm. Very SPACY SWEET sounding

itgoesto11uc

Does anyone regret getting theirs modded? I have an older 5 knob with attached power cord that doesn't have as long of delay time as my newer one and I'm considering having it modded for longer delay, alignment and input mod for humbuckers. Should I do it?

zachman

I am willing to work with the foibles because it sounds so good. I have other delays with tap tempo, channels/memories, way more time, reverse functions etc. The one I come back to is the DMM.

The story behind me buying one was that I had one delay and one on order and browsing in a music shop, I realised that I had never played a DMM. So I tried one and bought it a minute later. I've sold and bought delays since but the DMM is king. I even like the chorusing and I dont own a chorus because I hate chorus.

I am glad you've found what works for you, which is more than a lot of guys can say (as they are constantly searching for their tone grail). :aok

Last Nerve

There is no magic tone in a decal.
Gold Supporting Member
How much D-Time is on a stock DMM?
I never looked at one due to the size, but lately, I'm getting curiouser and curiouser. :)

RickB

How much D-Time is on a stock DMM?
I never looked at one due to the size, but lately, I'm getting curiouser and curiouser. :)

Approximately 550ms. There are mods from Analogman and Howard Davis that will get you more than actual as the actual can often be less than the 550ms.

theanalogdream

Silver Supporting Member
I have mine, and even though I love the sound, I am curious to try the analogman Mod. Having a tiny bit more delay time would be nice! Less clipping too

slacker

I am glad you've found what works for you, which is more than a lot of guys can say (as they are constantly searching for their tone grail). :aok

Thanks. Your original post was one of those cases where you were 100% right and I still disagreed with you. :eeks

lux_interior

sadly, this is one inconsistent pedal. either you get a holy grail (no pun intended). . . . or NOT. my DMM is newer, true bypass. . . NO undesirable noise. . . . no headroom issues (i throw fuzz at it daily). . . no negatives at all. my holy grail of delays.

I agree completely, however the issues are dependent on the particular version. I now have a newer big-box one (before the switch) with true bypass and it works perfectly. No mods needed at all. Holy grail... still untouchable. Still need the conveniences of other delays (digital ones), but it's irreplaceable. My one and only desert island pedal!

xroads

Love this pedal. There are only cool sounds in there, always warm and cozy.
Got mine for 100 bucks used some time ago...

zachman

Thanks. Your original post was one of those cases where you were 100% right and I still disagreed with you. :eeks

;) No worries... Some people prefer ketchup, some rather have mustard... It's only an issue if each gets the wrong one-- of course context is everything. Either ketchup or mustard wouldn't be traditionally acceptable on Captain Crunch cereal.

Seasoning to taste is the key, is it not

jb1911

;) No worries... Some people prefer ketchup, some rather have mustard... It's only an issue if each gets the wrong one-- of course context is everything. Either ketchup or mustard wouldn't be traditionally acceptable on Captain Crunch cereal.

Seasoning to taste is the key, is it not

Thanks, now I'm hungry.:peenut

Howard Davis

The mods below can be done on the Deluxe Memory Man in the larger box only. The Hazarai and other small box models are either digital or made with surface-mount components, rendering them practically impossible to repair or modify.

DELAY TIME INCREASE MOD
The Deluxe Memory Man was designed for a 550 msec. maximum delay. Some units, due to component tolerances and manufacturing problems, do not have this long a delay time. A mod can be done that corrects this condition. You can get at least 650 msec of maximum delay time before distortion and noise are noticeably increased at the longest delay settings.

TOTAL BYPASS MOD
Most Memory Man pedals have an adjustable gain stage (drive level control) that introduces complications with total bypassing. This is because with total bypass, this variable gain can result in a volume mismatch between the dry (bypass) and effect-on signals when the footswitch is thrown. The level control can be set so the dry and effect-on volumes are equal, but this level setting may not be optimum for signal to noise ratio, which requires as high a drive level as possible without causing objectionable distortion. So you CAN have a total bypass mod done on such a Memory Man, but you then lose the ability to adjust the drive level exactly as you might want it and also keep the balance between bypass and effect-on volume levels.

INPUT IMPEDANCE INCREASE MOD
Where total bypassing is not desired, a mod that increases the input impedance of the first stage can be almost as effective as total bypassing in eliminating tonal degradation due to pickup loading. If you use other pedals or long cables following the Memory Man, increasing the input impedance is preferable to total bypassing, as the benefits of buffering by the input stage are retained.

HOT PICKUP MOD
The reissue Deluxe Memory Man now comes from the factory with direct bypass, but with the input level control stage as it was originally when wired for buffered bypass. This is workable with many pickups, but there is a bypass/effect-on level matching problem with high output ("hot") pickups. With these, effect signal overdrive distortion occurs at too low a level. The Hot Pickup mod corrects this by increasing the headroom of the delay signal circuitry.

LED EFFECT-ON INDICATOR MOD
In vintage units that lack one, an LED can be added to indicate when the effect mode is activated.

NEED AN ALIGNMENT?
Electronic products containing analog delay ICs have internal trimpots for adjustment by a technician. For proper operation these must be correctly set, and this is done at the factory. In time - especially with the rough handling that guitar pedals are often subject to - these trimpots can become misadjusted, resulting in distortion, noise, improper operation, or no operation at all.
It is impossible to correctly adjust all the trimpots - called "doing an alignment" - without using lab equipment and the proper procedure. An audio oscillator, oscilloscope, and the test and alignment procedure for that particular pedal are required, as well as technical training and experience. Attempting an alignment without these usually just makes the problem worse.
The most common symptom indicating a need for alignment in the Memory Man is overdrive distortion occuring at too low a signal level. Clock noise, a high-pitched sound heard at long delay settings, is another symptom.

COST OF CUSTOM MODIFICATIONS:
When more than one mod is done at the same time on the same pedal, there is a savings in labor that allows the cost per mod to be reduced. If you give me a list of the specific mods you want, I can quote a total price for parts plus labor. This excludes the cost of any repairs that may be needed, the cost for which cannot be determined in advance.

If interested in any of these mods, please email me at: howard.davis2@att.net
Howard Davis, EE - designer of the Memory Man.

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:
http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

Top Bottom