So the Memory Lane (constructive criticism/confusion)...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kidamerica17, Jul 10, 2006.

1. kidamerica17

kidamerica17 Member

I've had it for a few months now and I really want to love it. There are so many amazing features in it, but the oscillations drives me crazy. No matter how I set it I find it to be stiff and and almost robotic. I've read all the raves about it on here and I'm wondering if anyone is having the same issues or if there is anything I'm missing to cure this.

2. shakti

shakti Member

This is one of the reason I didn't go crazy and immediately start GASing for one after hearing the soundclips. The oscillation sounded, as you say, kind of stiff, robotic and sterile. I guess I've grown too attached to the Deluxe Memory Man's grungey spaciness...

3. Tikirocker

Tikirocker Member

I totally concur ... I have mates over at HCFX where I live pretty much who bought the thing and rave about it. I heard the clips a year and a half ago and hated what I heard in the self oscillation which is exactly as you guys described it. I've been a lone voice over at HCFX where I come across as the kill joy but the EQ is all wrong for that pedal and sounds really too peircing and high end ... awful and bright/brittle!

I've never been happier than with my DD20 and I just run a DE7 into it for my added self oscillation stuff. In my view the ML isn't worth the dough.

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I wouldn't call it robotic by any means. It is beautiful to me. I sold mine because it went into oscillation TOO EASY!

5. Tikirocker

Tikirocker Member

His complaint isn't that it went into oscillation too easy but that the quality of sound when self oscillating is less than what he hoped for ... I must agree that it sounds cold and sterile to my ears and I have owned Tape Delay such as the RE-201's etc, DM-3's, DD-3, DD-5 and now own the DD20 - there is no doubt the EQ on the Memory Lane is all wrong in the self oss department.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yeah, I need to get an OLD analog delay then. I have only ever tried the memory lane cause I figured it would be the best of the best. When it osscilated so easy I got rid of it. I kinda liked the spaceship sounds etc outta the box. I MUST try another analog delay now. THANKS GUYS!!

7. Tikirocker

Tikirocker Member

Seriously mang - analogue is a red herring in many ways. I own a DD20 and was one of the first people at HCFX to get one and sing it's praises. It's not undeserved either - I had an RE-201 Space Echo at the time but wanted something smaller instead of taking the Space Echo to gigs so I bought the DD20 without hearing it based on my research. I'm not kidding when I say that within about 30 seconds I was able to set up my DD20 to sound exactly like my Re-201 tape echo using the DD20 tape echo settings and getting the tone control right. I then A/B'd both of them and the DD20 did the exact same thing I wanted. I sold my Space Echo and have never looked back. Another forumite at HCFX - Bryan Michael, had exactly the same experience as me and sold his Space Echo also - we both found out much later that we had had the same resultant experience!

Now, the one thing the DD20 does not do is self oscillate .. I used to have a DM-3 which had incredible spacey self oscillation but I traded it away when I had the 201. After all this time I finally just bought a DE7 which is a digital pedal like the DD20 but the DE7 has the wildest darkest sounding self oscillation with pitch effect I've heard ... it's actually a bit better than the DM-3 in that sense and is cheaper taboot! Bang for buck the DE7 kicks arse!

Go try a DE7 and tell me it's not great.

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Had one1 It is great. :D Just never tried to make it self oss since I knew it was digital. I liked the repeats of my EM-5 or DD-5 so I sold the DE- cause it was more expensive. Maybe I need to have another shoot out. :BEER

9. kidamerica17

kidamerica17 Member

hey, thanks everybody for the replies. i also have an ad900 and the repeats are just fantastic. i was really hoping to get modulation and expression pedal control with the memory lane. let's face it, i can probably get by with a deluxe memory man and a dd-3. i may just bite the bullet and sell the memory lane.

10. Tikirocker

Tikirocker Member

Are you serious???? You NEVER made your DE7 self oscillate? You must not have played with it at all then ... I think you shot yourself in the foot selling it. Go an try another one and try it properly this time - play with it in ECHO mode!!! Digital vs Analogue is nonsense in this sense. It's a digital pedal that sounds more analogue than the Memory Lane for my money. :cool:

11. drolling

drolling Member

Couple ways to tame the ML's runaway delay (oscillation) - go easy on the treble.. If you crank that EQ knob past 3 O'Clock you're gonna get nasty feedback, especially when combined w/shorter delay times.

An even more effective solution is to put an expression pedal in the FX loop - both the Moog (as recommended by Michael Knappe at Diamond) and the BOSS EV-5 will greatly reduce the sensitivity of the "Level" control. In fact, I've found that inserting an exp. pedal makes it very difficult to get the ML to feedback at all, unless the EQ control is set to one extreme or the other- as it's not a standard subtractive tone control, boosting the bass (counter-clockwise) will also produce some very percussive (sounds like a wood block being repeatedly struck) feedback as well.

If you can live with a maximum delay time of 300 ms, the Jacques Prisoner's another great sounding analogue delay. It's also got killer modulation circuitry (check the soundclips @ts808.com or fatback's video clip right here @TGP) and it will not oscillate under any circumstances.

But I hear you guys.. My EH Deluxe MemoryMan's not going anywhere - gotta love that exploding spaceship thing that it does so well..

And HEY! Where's that Echoczar that I ordered last July?!? Really looking forward to seeing (hearing?) what it does w/the regeneration control pushed to the max:D

12. mesaspeedlab

mesaspeedlab Member

The ML in my book is one of the best, but I dont feel that oscillation is where the ML shines. I found the same thing about the EQ settings really driving how easy it is to get the ML into oscillation. If there was 1 thing I could mark against the ML is the oscillation tone, but I dont land spaceships on stage so its not an issue for me, and if I want a nice swirling delay content in the background I just up the feedback level and lower the mix a bit, keeping the EQ low. Its all about what you want I guess, and the EQ section, along with the level and mod settings make it a great pedal IMHO.