So the ticking sound was...

bluegrif

...the guitar cable?!

Alright, file this under "never too old for a new one".

I recently bought a Burriss Royal Bluesman (wonderful little amp, BTW). This morning I wanted to do some testing before Friday's show. I started to get a strange ticking sound I hadn't heard before. Whenever the amp was up, the ticking would be there. So, with a fairly new amp, my first thought was noise in the power source or maybe a tube. First I tried plugging it into a different circuit. Still ticking. Then, since I have a bunch of tubes I went ahead and changed out the preamp tubes, figuring I'd see if the ticking went away then move on to the power tubes if not. Fired it up and the ticking wasn't there. Yet. I thought it was fixed by swapping out the tubes but when I plugged in again the ticking was back. Hmm. So I unplugged (from the amp's input) and the ticking stopped. Plug in, there it is. I thought "no, it can't be". I've had all kinds of cord problems in 47 years of playing. But it usually consists of crackling noises when moved or simply not functioning at all. But, who knew, right? I plugged in a different cord and sure enough, no more ticking.

Anyone else ever have this problem? It's a first for me. Nor have I heard of anything like this from the many players I've worked with over the years.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
Were you plugged straight into the amp or through a pedal board? I've noticed some modulation pedals can make a ticking sound when off - perhaps this is augmented by certain cables.

vintage66

Do you think it's picking up the ticking from your watch or some other clock? I hear a ticking sometimes too-there's a sensor for an indoor/outdoor temperature clock nearby that has that world satallite time setting on it. Not sure if that's it. Maybe the cord is picking up interference.

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
Do you think it's picking up the ticking from your watch or some other clock? I hear a ticking sometimes too-there's a sensor for an indoor/outdoor temperature clock nearby that has that world satallite time setting on it. Not sure if that's it. Maybe the cord is picking up interference.
I had a watch that my guitar picked up. a Timex. tick tick tick.. LOL.. freaked me out, too.

guitarman_nebr

Silver Supporting Member
here is my take. I have a G&L USA ASAT. the input jack won't take just any cable. if I use an imported (metric) cable, the noise is unbelievable!! hums, ticks, and feedback.

I use USA made cables with Switchcraft ends and the guitar is silent. perfect in all ways.

maybe the Burris amp uses true 1/4" jacks and metric cables just won't make the proper connection.

my $.02

bluegrif

here is my take. I have a G&L USA ASAT. the input jack won't take just any cable. if I use an imported (metric) cable, the noise is unbelievable!! hums, ticks, and feedback.

I use USA made cables with Switchcraft ends and the guitar is silent. perfect in all ways.

maybe the Burris amp uses true 1/4" jacks and metric cables just won't make the proper connection.

my $.02
Something like this is certainly possible. I've used the same cable for direct recording with my POD HD300 and no noise at all.

To clarify, I tried it with no pedals at all. I was originally trying a pedal out and thought it would turn out to be either the pedal or the power supply so I took them out of the chain first and plugged straight in. It definitely was the cord. As soon as I switched it for one of my regular gig cables the ticking stopped for good. Really odd because the signal was otherwise strong and seemed uncolored. Just that very regular ticking. I was sure it would turn out to be a tube. Surprised the heck out of me when it disappeared after switching cables.

sonic_777111

When in doubt, it's the cable. I was trying out a Lovepedal Superlead at Guitar Center the other day. I tried swapping guitars (335 to Tele to Les Paul and back), amps (AC4 to Egnater to Blues Deluxe), and power supplies, and in the end it turned out it was the cable. The staff were highly frustrated.

Trending Topics