So this is interesting...MIDI 2.0 is debuting at NAMM

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MrMoose, Jan 29, 2019.

1. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

This video explains better than I can!!

ImACracka likes this.
  2. LaXu

LaXu Member

Some info in text format if you don't like that every damn thing is a verbose video nowadays:
    https://djtechtools.com/2019/01/23/...g-of-new-generation-of-midi-devices-underway/

It's ridiculous that the spec hasn't been updated years ago. For example Fractal Audio uses 0-65536 values for their control mapping and trying to hustle that to work with the limited 0-127 value range on MIDI isn't that great for exact accuracy. I bet there are tons of custom implementations because of MIDI limitations.

3. Lord N

Lord N Member

About time. (even though someone on TGP told me that midi is already perfect and nothing could possibly be improved)
    This could take a while until we will see any gear that really makes use of it though.
    Not sure if the video mentioned it (because articles > videos) but there are some 'big' names involved like Steinberg, Roland, Yamaha and most notably Google.

Madmax25 likes this.
  4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

thanks, that video is painful to watch

5. LaXu

LaXu Member

Google is a curious addition considering the only MIDI related thing I am aware of is Chrome WebMIDI support - which is probably a super niche feature.

6. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

7. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Why? It provides a ton of info and context. Adam Neely is like the antithesis of TGP. It also explains that they don't even have a written spec sheet target for the protocol yet, so this is a loooooooong way off.

Brandon7s and ImACracka like this.
  8. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I didn't say it wasn't informative, I honestly wouldn't know, I couldn't watch it... All the walking around is too much. Never heard of the guy and know nothing about him past this video.

9. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Sorry, cranky this morning. In seven minutes and forty seven seconds he breaks down IR rabbit holes, using digital to come up with "new" sounds vs. moving old sounds, etc., In more depth than any 38 page thread on tgp ever has:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  10. Lord N

Lord N Member

They got their interests in all kind of things. Self-driving cars, robots, machine/deep learning, all kinds of science, ....
    Who knows, maybe they want to use the protocol for something completely music unrelated. I know that our lightshow (if you can even call it that :rotflmao) is controlled by midi.

11. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Yep, Kemper for example uses NRPN:

« The Kemper Profiler features more than 800 parameters. Of course, you can’t address them all with a standard MIDI controller message, where only 128 parameters can be reached.
    Therefore, the Kemper Profiler supports the NRPN (Non-Registered Parameter Numbers) protocol additionally to the proprietary SYSEX protocol.
    NRPN supports 128 x 128 different parameters (which rounds up to a total of 16384 parameters) and a parameter resolution of 16384 values (14-bit) compared to only 128 values (7-bit) with regular controller messages»

Let's be honest, MIDI is a pita.

12. spikey

spikey Member

Yes, but up until now, it's been a "standardized" pita.

13. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I cant believe this thread isn't 80 pages long by now. If anything is a "game changer" in the last decade it's this.

tjontheroad and TimeSnow like this.
  14. sixeight

sixeight Member

The potential of MIDI 2.0 is amazing. But its success depends on manufacturers implementing it in their devices. So Boss, Line6, Fractal, Kemper, etc please do the firmware upgrades for MIDI 2.0!

SigXer, Pastafarian and TimeSnow like this.
  15. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I literally was in a THIRD YEAR creative music production class yesterday in a technical university and the entire class was explaining MIDI to 20 somethings.

As I'm not a 20 something I was reminded how painfully out of date the MIDI protocol is... So this is some nice synchronisity for me.

mbenigni, aleclee and Pastafarian like this.
  16. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Possibly... It depends on what customers want and how that aligns with what companies are willing to build. Getting companies to conform to an industry standard is very difficult, and getting them to invest in something that might become a new standard when they have something that largely works OK enough is even harder. The biggest hurdle I see is that the world of music production is actually becoming less modular. More and more people are becoming more willing to do things "in the box", so having to sync a bunch of gear together from different manufacturers is still important, but I don't know how many people see it as a huge issue holding them back. Whenever I see posts about this kind of stuff here or on Facebook, there's like half a dozen comments or so and they just die.

Elric and mbenigni like this.
  17. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

I had missed your comment...
    just replying to state that I've been very happy to totally ignore/skip/jump the standardized pita through the KPA. Luckily, I have never had to do with MIDI (except for connecting a keyboard to a module, that was the easy part of it :D )

18. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I have mixed feelings about Adam. This vid was alright but he often comes off a bit arrogant and sometimes condescending.

19. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

At worst, I sometimes find him overly-academic, bordering on elite-ist, which I think is just the result of his decision to ramp up his content output with his chosen academic-applied-to-popular-stuff point of view. I don't really ever find him arrogant or condescending. But I also like to overthink simple ideas to see if there's an opportunity to learn something and a lot of folks find me arrogant, etc., when I do that, so maybe I just get the impulse :)

I think the Nahre Sol approach of "Hey, I'm an idiot in an area of music I've never thought about before, let's see if I can learn it, explain to you what I've learned" approach is actually really similar but because of the "I'm an idiot in a new land" context it avoids the tendancy towards perceived arrogance/condescension.

20. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

I have three MIDI floorboards. I have a feeling none of them are going to get back filled even if this were to be adopted in new hardware. ;)

Agree with much of what @phil_m said about the complications of moving standards in the MI today.

This might have been more compelling twenty years ago. Anyway more power to them, wishing them luck even if I would have to buy a new floorboard.