• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

So uh.....Somebody explain this to me.

airjamie

Whats the real difference between the les paul classic and standard, aside from the neck profile and pickups??? Ive never been able to figure this out.

Mattbedrock

Silver Supporting Member
Classic = '60's slim taper neck profile + ceramic mag hbuckers.
Got two - (single and double cut) love 'em
You can get a std with either 50's or 60's neck but it has alnico mag burstbuckers.

Snot green is a little harsh - but true

auffredou

sonically speaking, could someone explain to me how big the differences are in the studio, classic, standard, etc.? I have a studio and always assumed this was just a lower end model that gets you most of the way there (I love it though and wasnt sure If I would ever upgrade to another LP or not anyway), but now from what Im reading the studios were supposedly meant to give you all the great tone without having extra expense as far as look and picky details? (hence the name studio, the perfect studio guitar)

morlll

A studio doesn't have neck and body binding and some years have dot markers. from what I recall.

The classic has no pickup covers and says 1960 on the pickgaurd.

So dot markers will make the Studios the 335 of the future right?

I'm sure I'm wrong but there you are.

Brock

Early classics didnt say classic on the silk screen headstock logo and no snot green inlays until later also.

Also, the Classic was the first model to get a multi-piece back. The Standard has (or used to have) a one piece mahogany back.

May or may not affect the sound, but some of us like a one piece back.

sonically speaking, could someone explain to me how big the differences are in the studio, classic, standard, etc.? I have a studio and always assumed this was just a lower end model that gets you most of the way there (I love it though and wasnt sure If I would ever upgrade to another LP or not anyway), but now from what Im reading the studios were supposedly meant to give you all the great tone without having extra expense as far as look and picky details? (hence the name studio, the perfect studio guitar)
All things being equal (amp, string gauge, etc, etc,), I highly doubt you'd notice much of a difference.

Drew68

Supporting Member
The short answer is that the Classic is a Standard with a plain maple top, snot green (or vintage yellow) inlays and high-output ceramic pickups.

The long answer is a little more complicated Give me a few to compose myself and I'll give you the story.

The conclusion is that the Classic is one of the best "bang for your bucks" Les Pauls and you won't be disappointed owning one.

edwarddavis

Silver Supporting Member
Call me crazy but I had a few classics and between the neck beinging to thin and the harsh sounding pickups they were gone fast. Not saying they were a lesser guitar than a standard but I did not like the sound or feel of them .
But the sound could have been fixed I am sure and they are a good deal

guitaraddict

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned them all and it all comes down to what you prefer. I played Studio's that smoked alot of Standards playability wise. The ceramic p/u's can tend to get a little harsh but if you lower them down a little or back off the gain they actually sound great. My favorite guitar was a '92 goldtop Classic, I would choose it over any Standard, Custom, ect.... Of course out of several guitars that's the one that was stolen from my old rehersal room. Just be sure to find one with a good neck and fretwork.

DGDGBD

I've owned a '99 classic goldtop for eight years now. My only les paul, so I can't compare with the standard or studio. I didn't like the stock pickups, and they were replaced immediately. Other than that, I'm very happy with it. To me, it plays and sounds great.

Trending Topics