So, um, I played bass for the first time um ever Tuesday night...

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by The Illustrated Bassist, Mar 22, 2012.

1. The Illustrated Bassist

The Illustrated Bassist Member

And guys - thanks again for all the great input. Sounds like there are a lot of us out there doing double duty, so to speak. Its funny - my first instrument was Bb clarinet, I switched to bass clarinet in high school (in addition to playing guitar in jazz band) and had a lot more fun playing bass clarinet... hadn't picked one up in over 30 years until about a month ago, and a sax player I jam with once a week - he's got a home studio, so we work on stuff together - had one he hadn't played in two years - I picked it up, put the reed on, and was very surprised at the great tone I was getting out of it... so maybe this is an indication what I should be really playing :)

2. The Illustrated Bassist

Haha. :)

3. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

I went to college on a music performance scholarship for clarinet. After my first semester I switched to contrabass clarinet, kept the scholarship and never looked back :)

My bass is a '76 Fender Musicmaster short scale - feels more like a guitar with a narrower nut width.

4. harpinon

harpinon Member

Make sure before you buy a cheap bass that you A/B it with a good one.
    Cheap ones can be harder to play and have poor tone.
    I'm not a big fan of Squier basses though Im a JB guy.
    One cheapy that is rather nice is an Ibanez Gio.

5. echale3

echale3 Member

I have two basses, one is an old Univox Hi Flyer that I got as a B-day present over 30 years ago, the other is a beat up old Peavey Fury. If you want a US made bass that is well built, sounds good, and won't break the bank, look into an older Peavey. Mine cost me a whopping $90 delivered. All it needed was new strings. Sounds good, plays easy, and you could run over it with a tank and it'd be OK.....

6. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

Funny, I did the same thing at rehearsal on wednesday!!

7. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

You ran over your Fury with a tank? Where can one get a tank?

8. KCWM

KCWM Member

I picked up this purple Squier Standard bass for $30 off of Craigslist. It has a pretty good neck on it and the body was in comparable shape. I bought a pearloid pickguard from GFS, some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders and a Seymour Duncan stacked jazz pickup. I had the pickups wired so that they could go series with a the flip of a switch and added a wilkinson bridge with brass saddles.

After everything was said and done, I'm out less than $200 for a bass that plays and sound better than any MIM I've owned. It works well enough for recording and playing along with my friends.

9. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

When I came home from the military my old band needed a bass player in a pinch. So I went and bought one of those cheaper Ibanez basses. It did it's job very well. I was really impressed with how easy it played and how well it sounded. I literally had one of the cheapest rigs out there. (Ibanez, GK head and 4:10 cab. And it sounded awesome! I spent under $800 for an entire new bass rig and it kicked ass.

10. mannish

mannish Member

very similar happened to the fellow that plays bass with me now - He picked it up at a jam cause there was no bass player, then took some lessons. He gets lots of calls for bass, zero calls for guitar.

11. S.W.Erdnase

S.W.Erdnase Supporting Member

Any advice on what to look for if you prefer greasy?

12. epluribus

epluribus Member

I got one a while back. Lotta calls for a tank, zero calls for a guitar player.

:)

13. stbhorn

stbhorn Member

I am about to start double duty as well, in fact, my new bass rig arrives to today with UPS. I already have an offer to play bass with a band in two weeks! I better get practicing!

14. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Member

Find a used Ibanez SR500 or SR505 and be done with it. Nice, thick necks and the bodies vibrate and resonate so well. These basses seem to be a decent link between the beginner stuff and more pro stuff (again, coming from another guitarist's perspective). I've had several MIM Fender and lower-level MIK Ibanez and my current SR500 kills them all. Feels like a "real" bass.

15. hubberjub

hubberjub Member

16. strat56

strat56 Member

+1 on this. I have an SR505 and it plays great and sounds great. No dead spots in the neck, sustain for days. With the active electronics can get any tone needed.

I also have a Pedulla ThunderBolt 5 string and the neck on the Ibanez is way more comfortable for me. 1.75" wide at the nut is good for my medium to short fingers.

I bought it for $350 used.

Another inexpensive bass that I have that I really like is the Dean Razor NT. Neck thru construction, comes with active electronics, nice neck. Needs to have the stock pickups replaced. I think this one was like $250 when I bought it used.

17. tubetone74

tubetone74 Member

Short scale Gibsons and I have an Ibanez AGB 200 that can get there.

18. The Illustrated Bassist

Thanks for all the great advice!

I didn't rush out, I played probably a couple of dozen basses since I originally posted this...

My favorite local shop has decided to close out its Fender stuff and go exclusively G&L and Ibanez and a few other "non major label" brands, and they have a sale going on right now... so I came home with a new Indonesian Squier that's fretless. I actually found messing around that I prefer the sound of a fretless and (silly me) when I picked this up I thought it had frets but those are just makers. Its solid, it sounds good, light, and I only paid $260 including tax and gig bag. This is going to be fun. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

so now you have to turn down gigs because so many people are asking you to play, huh?

Reminds me of a joke:

Son goes to his father "I want to take bass guitar lessons, Dad."

"Ok, son. Let's get you a bass and start your lessons."

First week's lesson, son comes home

"I learned the notes on the bottom string today, Dad."

next week's lesson, son comes home

"I learned the notes on the next to bottom string today, Dad."

The third week, son doesn't come home until 3:30 in the morning.

"Where the hell were you? Why were you gone so long?"

"Dad, can you make it quick? I have to get to bed, I've got a 3 set gig tomorrow night, too."

20. The Illustrated Bassist

Haha but a lot of truth there. If you can play the root, 3rd, and 5th, and keep time, you've got a gig.