So ummm, what can happen if...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JS335, Jul 24, 2008.

1. JS335

JS335 Member

you have your amp running without a speaker load? (doh!).

I have a 1979 Princeton Reverb and I wasn't loving the stock speaker. A couple of weeks ago I was checking the amp out hooked up to an extension speaker cab and disconnected the stock speaker. Then I forgot and disconnected the exterior speaker. I had the amp on for a couple of hours warming up for a lesson. I realized what I had done later.

After that the amp seamed to be working fine but I was only playing it at bedroom volumes, 2-3 on the dial. I replaced the stock speaker recently with a Ragin Cajun. I wanted to check the sound out at a slightly louder volume so I turned up to 6-7 and it sounds like crap. Very papery and distorted in an unpleasant way. I wasn't sure if this was because the new speaker isn't broken in yet or if I damaged the amp.

So, what damage would it do to run the amp without a speaker load? Would the amp work at all? Do my symptoms sound like what could happen? Any help is appreciated.

Yours truly,
    Stupid @ss in Concord, Mass.

2. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

If it is working now, it is fine.

If you didn't try to JAM through it without a speaker, and only had it idling, there is very little chance that you did any damage. If you never took it of standby without the speaker, there is no chance of damage done at all.

3. JS335

JS335 Member

Thanks Harry,

I feel better. This amp doesn't have a standby. It's been a couple of weeks (and I'm 44 so my memory, well you know) but I probably realized the speaker wasn't connected when I plugged a guitar in and turned the volume up and nothing came out. I know I turned the amp off immediately and hooked up the speaker.

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

A little off topic but you're 44 and complaining about your memory???

I have socks older than you young feller!

[​IMG]

And if your amp is working then you did no damage.

5. JS335

JS335 Member

HA! I think I'm 44, I can't really remember. Thanks Brian, man I'm relieved.:BEER

6. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Eeeewwwwwww.

7. gregc

gregc Member

Basically, running the amp without a load risks transformer damage. I'm glad you're AOK!

8. JS335

JS335 Member

Hey Greg,

Thanks man. I was sweating bullets. I won't make that mistake again.

Big series this weekend. Of course you know I'm a [​IMG] fan.

:banana:banana:banana

9. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

actually the amp is broken and unrepairable. Unfortunately you can't simply throw it away as we have enviromental protection laws.

Because I care so deeply for your loss I am willing to take it and dispose of it for you.

I'll send you my address.

:)

10. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

MV;
    While I understand the purity of your intent, your sig indicates that you live near the beach, while I am only a few short miles from the Scholl landfill. I'd better take it form here.

We're givers here, we are. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Cowboy.

PS seriously, the 'papery' sound that you describe might be a bit of a concern. Try it with another speaker, but you might want to send it to a shop, if that continues.

11. JS335

JS335 Member

Thanks fellers. I'll certainly consider your offers to dispose of it for me. There are so many giving people here. :rolleyes:

Cowboy, I did try it with the extension speaker and it doesn't sound quite right to me. The problem is, that speaker is pretty new too so I'm a bit confused. If I damaged the transformer, would this be a potential sign?
    (getting worried again)

12. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

not so much. My guess is that it is almost 30 years old and has never had a cap job.