So; was this NAMM a bust?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ugly Bunny, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Supporting Member

I really enjoyed the "consolidated NAMM 2017" thread, but I feel that overall, this year was kinda "meh." I seem to recall last year and the year before, from about late December to early February my YouTube feed was inundated with NAMM stuff. This forum was abuzz with NAMM coverage and speculation. But now it's over and no one seems to care. I've seen a few cool new pedals, but nothing that's a must-have or groundbreaking.

Maybe it's just a slow year or perhaps we TGPers have burnt ourselves out on gear and/or bought too much so it's a bit of a subconscious choice to not seek out NAMM coverage and be less enthusiastic.

Am I just crazy?

hippieboy and Auditory Driving like this.
  2. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I wouldn't call you crazy, but.... LOL. I had a great time at NAMM, but most of what I saw was the traffic in my booth. When I did get out I saw some great exhibitors' stuff.

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

I had that feeling too. No great amps or pedals unveiled that really wow'd me.

indeedido likes this.
  4. p.mo

p.mo Supporting Member

No breakthrough gear?

5. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I hope someone posts a link to the thread showing the huge volume of NAMM 2017 pix (Harmony Central thread?).

I don't know that we heard the best bits from NAMM in this forum (which likely were not pedal-related). Most of the pedals were very bleh to me (i.e. line extensions of old pedals).

The Digitech feedback-simulator [kudos Tom!], Dwarfcraft pedals, and maybe the Blurst [egads horrible paint job] may be of interest but no pedal made my "gotta get that list."

Moog may be the biggest disappointment. They didn't even offer a line extension. Their booth was basically "remember how cool we were way back when we were cool."

That is not cool.

6. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Can't tell you how excited I am for Helix Native and the next firmware - loadsssaaaa bass player goodies!

7. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

My 27th Winter NAMM show (I've done several Summer NAMM shows and Musikmesse as well...)!

A lot of work, but it was still fun!

For me, it's mostly a chance to catch up with my industry friends that I only get to see once a year...

8. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

I don't know if I would call it a "huge volume of NAMM 2017 pix," but I posted a few pix from the show:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/namm-2017-show-prep-day-1-in-the-books.1784315/

Steph

Abram4235 and uberdave like this.
  9. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I had to buy bigger pants because of the Belle Epoch Deluxe. Thanks a lot @Purple

10. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Thank you @Stefenator. Those pix are cool but that isn't what I was remembering. This was a really big volume of pix from many, many gear categories.

Many of the guitars looked especially interesting (my taste obviously).

11. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

Watch out, all the Catalinbread fanboys are going to have a fit :rotflmao

I'm very underwhelmed this year as well.

hippieboy and erksin like this.
  12. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Belle Epoch Deluxe and Rubberneck Delay were the standouts to me, nothing else seemed all that interesting but I probably only saw 1/8 of what was there.

13. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Yeh, I thought it was pretty calm. Nothing new from any of the big brands - Boss, Roland, Moog, Marshall, etc. The only thing revealed that I'll probably take off one of you guys in the emporium is the Belle Epoch Deluxe.

14. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I think we should start with the definition for NAMM...Music Merchants. What matters most is how much real business got done there. So from that standpoint, TGP is likely a poor indicator of much.

The other thing to consider is that while TGP has 152,000+ members, any single thread likely has less than 20 different participants. I would say it's doubtful that the health of an industry can be measured by how excited TGPers are about anything. Let's face it, the longest threads on TGP involve: 1) stuff few have (Hello extra long Dumble threads) but many hate based on zero experience; 2) many have, and many that don't have hate for some reason (hello Klon threads); or 3) anything that is considered "controversial" on TGP, ie tonewood. All of these things get attention year around on TGP, whereas, as you point out above even an "excited" response to NAMM only goes for a few weeks after it ends.

The other thing to consider is why every year we should expect must-have or ground breaking. It's like the car companies adding horsepower every year. Who cares? It's not like suddenly the highways have gotten less crowded and everyday as I drive to and from work I'm going to crank up that full 300 Hp they want to impress me with in like every car :)

By that I mean, our ears haven't changed and neither has the playing ability of most of us. How is must-have or groundbreaking really relevant when most of us have only played a tiny % of the pedals actually out there anyway? And there are famous pros using the same gear from year to year and we gush all over their tone.

Anyway, hope my tone doesn't come across as being a jerk or anything, not my intention at all. I will say this, I've been to NAMM 5 of the last 6 years. If someone has never been, and is just judging what it's like based on forums and YouTube feeds, it really is so much more than that.

YMMV...Your MOJO May Vary :D

15. thesooze

thesooze Member

I'm super interested in:

Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe
    -- love the original BE, and this one adds a ton of cool modes and mod options

Chase Bliss Brothers Analog Gainstage
    -- what I wished the Riverside was. Analog tones with mega preset options, blending, and expression control in a small box. Killer.

DOD Rubberneck Analog Delay
    -- like a Carbon copy with way more options. Tap tempo is awesome. Cheaper than EHX offerings. Great aesthetics to boot.

Digitech Freqout
    -- my ebow doesn't get much use, but I still love that sound. This is way more convenient and adds much more usable features.

Empress Echo System
    -- two delays at once? Parallel or series?tap tempo! Stutter mode, plus more engines sure to come! Whiskey in a pedal FTW

PLUS Sustain Pedal
    -- functionality and features through the roof. Awesome form factor / design.

Source Audio Ventris Reverb
    -- all the horsepower and layout bliss of the Nemesis in a verb. Two engines at once!! True spillover, MIDI, and new engines down the road.

All in all, that's a pretty exciting NAMM to me! :aok

16. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Supporting Member

Yep. This is all I've really seen.

I don't disagree with any of that. But that's no different than any other year and the last two years have been huge (at least it seemed that way based on buzz and my YouTube feed and the forums). But yeah, I totally get that NAMM isn't necessarily for us peons. That said, as a peon, I got to go in 2015 and meet John Petrucci and all my idols. It was overstimulation. I'll never go back lol!

erksin likes this.
  17. la noise

la noise Member

Really? Have you read any of the CB threads? :huh

Seem to have more haters/doubters on TGP than so-called
    "fanboys." Or maybe you all are just far more vocal in
    your displeasure. ;)

erksin likes this.
  18. la noise

la noise Member

Excellent taste, sir. :aok

19. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

I'd agree. Didn't really see anything that was groundbreaking or that's getting a ton of hype. I was SUPER disappointed by BOSS, because they've been on a roll lately and I really expected either an RV500 or Modulation500 of some kind that'd complement the DD500.

Bucksears and Ugly Bunny like this.
  20. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Highlight for me this year was chatting with a couple TGPers.

Talking to Hogy and Mike from Komet in person.

Saw a lot of cool stuff but DonaldDemon called it....you only catch a fraction of it.

I think the guitars stole the show this year!
    Mr Pinters guitars were kickass! ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Cal Webway likes this.