• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

So, went against common wisdom....

Cgkindler

And left the following at the house...

Two Rock Studio Pro 22 combo
BadCat Cougar 15 Combo
Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne combo

And took.....*gulp*

My Yamaha THR10!

Stuck a Shure Sm-57 on one of the speakers, and just played the ole heart out. I am completely in love with the tone and dynamics of this tiny 10 watt solid state amp. Unbelievable.

Even had a guy come up afterwards who's into guitars and wanted to know what I was doing to get my overdriven tones!

I left my big, fairly nice pedalboard at home too....I made myself use pedals that were NOT in the rotation!

Here's what I went with:

I set the amp on its Crunch channel, where if I dig in it had just a bit of hair. Roll the volume and/or play lighter and it was a full, sweet sounding clean.

So, I'm thinking about making this my full time rig when I know I'm going to be able tonuse a mic. It was weird being able to walk in, and only do it once or without a cart!! Lol

***Edit*** Per the suggestion of SirLoin.....a massive YMMV!

Last edited:

Cgkindler

Large room, semi-rock, pop, ect. Bass, drums, acoustic/piano, 3 vocalists.

No recordings unfortunately, however I will set something up next time.

I have played 2 of 3....At first I had the X model (black one with the heavier amp styles) but took it back (because it was a floor model and they got a new one in, so they were going to get me a fresh one) and I played the one I have, the "normal" one, and I REALLY liked the cleaner amp styles....so I traded for that one.

There's 3 things I wish this had, which would make it literally the perfect amp (aside from enough power to hang with a drummer)

1. Effects Loop
2. Instantaneous switching between the 5 presets....as is there's a half a second delay between them)
3. A footswitch to select which preset (that would make this THE amp....because the tones and the effects are THAT good to me. Better than my H&K Grandmeister I had...at least from memory lol)

Thanks for the feedback all! It was a really cool experience....tonight be have a full band practice, and we mic everything, so I'll be using it again! This time though I might actually use my pedalboard....I SOMEWHAT missed my Strymons! :)

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Great call! I am looking online and am seeing that there is a Version 2 and a THR10C model. I wonder how different the C version is from the standard.

Cgkindler

I have the THR-10 and can't get a good tone out of it to save my life. Wish I could, on paper it's amazing.
Really? I wonder if there's an issue with the amp or speakers? When you hook up an iPod/MP3 player and ply it through the unit does it sound full and crisp?

If so, then I'd offer this advice....Put it on the crunch channel, set gain at noon, MV at 1 o'clock, Bass at 10 o'clock, Mid and Treble at Noon-3 o'clock, no modulation, reverb set to the last one, and only JUST enough to hear it (which is a little tricky, but when it's there it's awesome)

Final thing is the "guitar Volume" set it at noon or 1 o'clock.

Humbucking guitars or hotter guitars makes these things distort quickly, so rolling the volume back to 7 or 8, and the tone down just a little, will make a HUGE difference!

Maybe try that and report back?

dewey decibel

I have the THR-10 and can't get a good tone out of it to save my life. Wish I could, on paper it's amazing.
I tried one in a store and had the same experience. I was like, "is this the amp I've heard so much positive feedback about!?" Tinny, boxey sounding little thing...

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
I gig in a duo with an older THR 5 and mike it. No pedals. I put it on the lead setting and just ride my guitar volume. I set it with a mild tremelo and delay. Works great. Plus I love using it at home for practice.

Cgkindler

I will try and get a recording of mine on my phone and upload it.....

Though there are some GREAT pro demos where they mic'd it up and did a track with it.....

In reality, you wouldn't have any clue that it came from this little box!

You can also go straight into the computer via the USB in the back (which also allows you to SEND signal back as a monitor or computer speaker in general)

I WISH I had a tube amp like this that could give me these tones and dynamics, but at levels that can be played at 3 am with kids sleeping in the next room!!

Cgkindler

Here's the demo I saw that reminded me of how it can sound..

Though I usually don't have quite that much hair on it.....but still....sounds great to me! The reverb is awesome on it!

Cgkindler

Here's a QUICK 13/17 seconds I just did while I was in between work calls at home...

Done through MultiTrack DAW with no added effects save for a TOUCH of compression just to keep it from clipping...

I know that my playing is not what it should be to convince someone something is worth it, but I'm trying to show tone, more than anything (which is COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE and you may actually hate what I just posted! lol)

Brutus

PRS 408, Gibson Les Paul Standard
I use a Les Paul with mine too. I set it up about 6 feet away off the floor and mostly use the the JCM 800 setting. For low volume playing I think it sounds great. There seems to be a lot more thumbs up than down as far as approval goes, but I guess that's why there are so many different amps to choose from. Everybody with thumbs has ears, and they like what they like.

Trending Topics