• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

So what are the differences between burst buckers and classic 57s?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Burstbuckers are supposed to be some kind of PAF copy, but what the heck are the classic 57s modeled after? I seem to like the burstbuckers better.

gvonpaul

The way I understand it, 57 classics are what PAFs were supposed to be, with evenly wound coils. Burstbuckers have intentionally unevenly wound coils.

Johnson

I was wondering the same thing about the differences. I've tried both and for what its worth, I tend to agree with you that I prefer the burstbuckers.

never-enough

i had burstbucker3s in a guitar and they did sound edgier than the 57s.
the flip side is i found the 57s to be more open sounding.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Burst buckers hard edged and brittle. 57s..creamy and beautiful. Thats my opinion at least. I LOVE the 57s!!! :banana

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I kind of thought the 57s were brittle on the high end.... that is why I am asking. The burst buckers have the PAF sticker on the bottom, I don't think the 57s do ..... for whatever that is worth.

I believe the early burst buckers were not potted around 02 or so .... but the later BBs are. I have a set out of the guitar, I guess I'll take a look and see.

ssdeluxe

I agree with Tag, never liked the burstbuckers, every gtr that had them had a sort of artificial "zing" to it, just too bright up top and not open on bottom. ym-will mostlikely-always vary ! ;)

57's I like, sometimes too warm/muddy in some gtrs, but a gr8 all-rounder.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
I agree with Tag, never liked the burstbuckers, every gtr that had them had a sort of artificial "zing" to it, just too bright up top and not open on bottom. ym-will mostlikely-always vary ! ;)
That is exactly how I hear them. Whatever works for you as a player is all that matters though. :BEER

tbone666

i have 57's and feel that the neck is a bit too muddy and the bridge doesn't have the low end i'd like. if i could skim off some of that bassy-muddyness and slap that on the bridge pup i think i'd be happier.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
Burstbuckers on the Historics are potted. Hardly my fave but very much a PAF style sounding humbucker with a brighter tone than the '57. They don't suck and work damn good in solid body Les Pauls.

Marty s Horne

I've had 3 Custom Shop semi-hollow Gibsons with the 57 Classics and all 3 were warm and fat sounding with nice balance between the lows, mids, and highs.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
My BB1s have a brittle top end, mushy bottom and sound fizzy through an overdriven amp. My '57 Classics sound just right. Very well balanced.

BTW, they both have PAF stickers on them.

jpage

Which BB are we talking about? there are BB 1s, 2s, 3s, & Pros...all very different pickups

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
BB 1 & 2 on the Historics are the ones I'm talking 'bout.

jpage

BB 1 & 2 on the Historics are the ones I'm talking 'bout.
I didn't like those at all myself, and I'm a huge fan of most Gibby pickups. The Classics are OK, but I would either recommend a set of BB Pros (phenomenally underrated--esp through a Marshall or Marshall-esque amp) or SD Antiquities, which I setlled on after trying almost all the rest of the Duncans (PG, 59s, APIIs, jazz/JB).

Same idea as the BB1&2 set, but with a sweeter, more complex top end and kind of an "airy" quality that really loves most setups.

Trending Topics