So what are the latest and greatest IR's right now?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by green72, May 7, 2020.

1. green72

green72 Member

Haven't been here for awhile. Just wondering what everyone is using. I've been using mostly 3 Sigma and Celestion, and am looking for something else as I'm getting a bit bored.

2. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I’m liking the Ownhammer (r)Evolution pack

3. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I second the Ownhammer (r)Evolution pack.

The York Audio packs are also really really good.

Phil M, Gasp100, Brandon7s and 2 others like this.
  4. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I'm using the Tone Junkies IR's right now. I like the M75 with the 57 and 121 on it.

5. slugworth

slugworth Member

Same here. If you like gainy stuff, the Mesa V30, Marshall GNR (which for me replaces the earlier GNR set), and Mesa+Orange IRs from that set are some of the best I've ever tried (and I have tried a LOT). The Fender and Vox IRs from that set are also incredible for lower gain and clean.

That (r)Evolution set is really probably the latest and greatest, but some of the greatest hits from Ownhammer IMHO are:

Adamclayton, tvegas99, filo01 and 3 others like this.
  6. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

I am still using the Jay Mitchell provided reflection free far field's. They just work for what I am doing. I have the Deluxe style IR and the Egnater 4x12 Marshall style one he provided.

7. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I recently got the York Audio Deluxe Reverb Cab and it's the first IR I've used that actually sounds like 1x12 combo. I like it much better than the Ownhammer DR cab or the Celestion 1x12's that I've tried.

gtr37, Beagle1 and CrazyAngel like this.
  8. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

York Audio and Ownhammer (r)Evolution.

Gasp100 and gtr37 like this.
  9. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

Seconded on the Deluxe IR. I wanted to like the 4x12 but it never worked out well for me.

10. guitarobert

guitarobert Member

Jay's C sample is my favorite clean tone IR. I also like the far-fields posted here by gigsup.

For other tones I like York Audio, ML, and Lancaster.

MaxTwang and stratchamp57 like this.
  11. DallasD

DallasD Member

I agree with the Ownhammer Bogner 212OS mentioned above. Still one of the best all around IRs and never sounds harsh to me. The Orange 212 from OH is about the same and I could go with either.

The Celestion Orange branded pack is one I prefer to all their other IRs and packs.

12. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker Member

For me Valhallir,York Audio and ML Labs

13. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

I'm an OwnHammer man myself and I've been meaning to check out York Audio and ML Labs.

14. NelsonP

NelsonP Member

Ownhammer Basketweave GNR for anything remotely Marshally - particularly the Plexi, Brit 800 and Friedman BE / HBE models in my Amplifire.

I also have the Ownhammer DVRB and VC30 IRs for the Deluxe and Top Boost models respectively and these are pretty good. These are the ones that I'm currently using but I'm not 100% happy with them.

I bought all these a while ago before the (r)evolution pack and I've been very tempted by that as it offers all of the above and quite a few other cabs too.

I'm still looking for some killer IRs for the Fender and Vox style models (Deluxe, 65 Twin, US Clean, Top Boost). I may give the york audio DXVB a try.

But to be fair the Atomic ones are pretty good for the Fendery stuff and still hold up very well. Maybe I should just stick to those and stay out of the rabbit hole.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  15. LaXu

LaXu Member

I use the MIKKO cab sim plugin with ML Labs MIKKO Essentials IRs. The multimic mixing just by dragging some virtual mics around is awesome.

BKE likes this.
  16. Giovanni

Giovanni Member

York Audio IRs are so much better to me than anything else I've tried.
    To be fair I haven't heard the latest Ownhammer pack but sincerely have no interest, at the moment I'm set!

17. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I was using the Ownhammer Revolution and the York Audio ones for quite a while. But the last several weeks I've just been using a combo of factory cabs in my Axe FX 3 because it's easy to transfer and restricts my choices. I mix a 4x12 Friedman with M160 ribbon mic along with a second 4x12 with an SM57. The ribbon mic gives me a warm base tone and then I change up the second SM57 cab depending on what my ears like, which gives me character and cut.

18. James Freeman

James Freeman Member

DallasD and haslar like this.
  19. AICSRV

AICSRV Member

Loving York IR's at the moment. Specifically the Mesa 212, Deluxe, and Matcheless.

I've previously used ownhammer and celestions among many others. The Yorks are just immediately more realistic and natural to my ears. And most importantly they are very balanced. I honestly don't even need to do low + high cuts anymore like I'm used to doing, or if I do they don't need to be nearly as aggressive as the other IR's I've used.

gtr37 likes this.
  20. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I've been on a little journey dialing in the HX Stomp stock cabs...

:eek: