1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

So what do you do when you realize you have enough guitars???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blingdogg, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

I realized I have enough, and I don't know what to do now lol. Let me explain:

Up until last year I owned one guitar. Now, in 2009 I'm the proud owner of 6 (they're listed in my sig), which I try to play regularly. But for playing 1 hour per day, maybe a bit longer on the weekends, I feel like I don't have time to play even the ones I have now, much less if I bought a Les Paul and SG, two guitars I've wanted for some time.

So I decided that for just a hobby, 6 guitars is enough, so that I can keep them in regular rotation.

But now I just feel......empty. lol I dunno if that's the word, but I feel like I got nothing to do now. I love playing guitar, and I'm a guitarist not a collector, but with no more guitars to GAS over or save up for, it's like I'm bored with playing the ones I got. Either bored, or I spend too much time thinking about "Should I play the Strat today, or the Tele, or the..." Sometimes I think about that, or tweaking my tones, more than I actually play.

What I'm trying to say is have any of you gone through this phase, when you got all the gear you need, and realize your interest in playing is kinda low compared to before? What have you done to fix that? Do you think this is a sign of being more of a GAS-addict/thrill of the hunt person rather than a guitarist?

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I'll let you know if it ever happens.

3. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

A 6 pack is my holding point (although I have 7 now). I've found it's good to move to amps and effects... and quality upgrades for the guitars I have now. Tone experimentation is my latest GAS.

4. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Supporting Member

Whatever you do, just stay away from the Emporium.

5. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

I've got 11 guitars now and I'm about to pare 'em back to maybe 3-4. Like yourself, I've found that there just isn't enough time to play that many. I feel that if I'm not playing them there's no point in owning them - unless they are serious collectibles, which none of mine are.

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I've known for the longest time I only need one, and one more as a backup.

7. wutnot

wutnot Supporting Member

Yes I agree with lakehaus. If you feel a void with completing your guitar quest, move on to amps and effects to hone your tone and sound.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I let you know; I'm not there yet.

I do wonder, when I find one I really don't recognize.

9. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Uh, that's never happened and I doubt it ever will.

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

You know when you put an obnoxious message in your signature that you are currently experiencing no GAS... preferably in red.

11. klatuu

klatuu Member

I have 6 and the only thing stopping me from expanding is lack of bread.......:puh

12. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Take up golf.

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I like to play, not collect (though I certainly don't have a problem with collecting), so when any of them sits unplayed for any length of time, I really don't want it.

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've hit a plateau before and stopped buying for a few years. I was real proud of myself and without realizing it I sold almost everything off and started all over again.

GAS can be sneaky......be careful.

15. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I am at the point where I need to sell some .....

or trade a few good ones for something really special.

:hide

16. MartinC

MartinC Member

I'm a rank amatuer too. I have 4 guitars ... 3 electric and 1 acoustic. I've got one amp, a PODxt, a Fulltone Clyde and a Zendrive. They all get some play time. But I've had much less play time for a few years 'cos of the arrival of the little people in my house. Yet, I have been at my most acquisitive during the last 18 months. Maybe I've put more energy into hunting for gear to try to fill the musical space left by the drastic reduction in playing time. Maybe I've used the time wisely to set myself up for music playing to come. Am I on shaky ground :confused:

I dunno ... I too know full well that I've got more than enough gear to make music with. Still enjoy reading about it though. No plans to buy anything ... except maybe a really nice analog delay/echo pedal.

I can tell you from very recent experience (lunchtime today) that the prospect of playing with other people (rather than at home, with a jam track, or my looper pedal) is enough to put a big smile on my face and get me all fired up about playing ... so off I go to the rehearsal studios tonight to play with a mate and a recent guitar acquaintance of his. If you don't play with others right now, I highly recommend it ... so much fun.

Now ... which guitar should I take? :banana

17. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

16 and counting.. :hide
    many of them i can't imagine being without... :eek::messedup
    and still GASing for more!:NUTS

i don't know if being in a semi-pro (heading towards pro) band that requires multiple guitars for multiples tones helps qualify some of it.. :D

18. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

When you have 6 and feel empty, the answer is, you need 12 :bong

You can thank me later. :RoCkIn

19. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Why not just roll with the GAS? You probably have a couple guitars that aren't totally keepers. Sell 'em off to make room for new ones and just rotate out when you get bored.

20. DogEarDave

DogEarDave Member

I understand your predicament completely. OK, six is your limit. BUT, do you have the right six? Isn't there one that you like less than the others? Or one that doesn't really fill a unique niche within your collection?

Now that you've established a collection, you need to refine it. You can maintain an equilibrium at six (tell yourself that you must sell one in order to buy one), but replace the weakest member of the herd with a stronger one. By doing this, you then create a new weakest member that needs to be replaced, etc. etc.

This will work until you can't bring yourself to get rid of any of the ones that you have. I can't provide advice from that point forward, because I'm not there yet.