So...what do you stack your Carb with???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stressfest, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Hi All,
    Screwing around with my Carb today and it absolutely loves the AC30...match made in heaven. I tried running the Klon but found it a bit too thick, making the celestion blues fart a bit...I didn't get a chance to try the RC yet, of which i could imagine working quite well but was wondering what everyone's using as a boost...or do you use the Carb as your boost?

Hands up who has an opinion?? :D

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

I have not had a lot of luck stacking it, but here's something that works for me (not part of my standard setup yet though).

I like to run the Carb close to the front of the chain with the volume and gain at around 1:00-1:30 and toggle to the right. I run this into a vintage style amp that is breaking up a little but not totally saturated. I run a clean booster after the Carb to boost the volume and since the amp is already a little ragged, it adds a little saturation and smoothness.

Les Paul => Carb => clean boost => Tophat Club Royale or Allen Old Flame

So I've got a base sound that's a little edgy, but can be rolled back for clean via the guitar's volume knob. Then I've got the Carb for a dirtier rhythm tone, and the clean booster for leads.

The booster I'm using is the boost side of the TC Jauernig Gristle King (which also give me a tubescreamer sound).

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I've only tried the Klon and Lo Driver so far myself and only before the Carb...may have to try behind the effect instead.

4. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

Agreed. I am a stacking freak and I am still working on getting the CARB to play well with others. It's my only overdrive that does not like being stacked with a Neo Fuzz. It does seem to respond well to being boosted by a DOD Bi-Fet FX10 (almost anything does). I am using it with mixed success when used in front of a Zendrive and Blue Boy Deluxe. I think I like it best by itself.

5. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

The Carb followed by the Eternity is excellent for me - I usually choose one or the other, but if the Eternity is on - the Carb on top of it gives an extra treble boost that adds a nice complexity - I then often have both going until the end of the song...can work with the volume on the guitar well, too...

The one pedal I have the most trouble with is the wah (area 51) followed by the carb - maybe its the carbs germanium ancestry? Not that it squeals or doesn't work, its just...brash, not ideal. I'll be putting a buffer on the wah and we'll see if that makes mo better.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

I agree. I think it is the germs, and I've posted about this in another thread. If the Carb is on, the wah stays off (true bypass wahs).

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Hotcake. sounds good, either side of the CARB, thou I prefer before it

8. gapple88

gapple88 Member

Tried Carb with blackstone....:dude

9. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Could someone please tell me about the Carb? As I've read a few comments about it but do not know who makes it & who stocks the pedal?

Thanks

Matt

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

11. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Thanks War Ship for the info!!

12. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

+1 for Jay

13. stekks

stekks Member

The Carb/Klon (or vise versa) thing doesnt do anything for me.

The BJF Emerald Green into the Carb on the other hand is a rocking combo!!

14. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Didn't like that combo at all myself...detracted from the tone of the Carb.

Anyone tried two Carbs stacked???