So what does a Splawn Nitro give you that a Peavey 6505 can't?

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
Been looking at these Splawn Nitro amps, but I heard Nugent on Huckabee last Saturday playing through a Peavey 6505+, and thought, "Heck, that's a fabulous sound...is the Nitro worth the extra jack (even used)?"

Convince me one way or another :p....

Last edited:

Deathmonkey

The Nitro is much fatter, more aggressive, and has a midrange that doesn't make you want to stab yourself in the face. It has more depth and balls, and sings more. It has the Splawn midrange bark, but in a more modern context - one of my favorite amps.

6505s are great workhorse amps, but they can be thin and scoopy. If that's your thing, I don't know that the Splawn is going to thrill you. But if you ain't afraid of some mids and want to crush fools, the Nitro is a pretty singular amp.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/5-SOTW HCAF2.mp3

:D

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
Resale value.
If I were to pay $700 for used 6505+ or $1,500 for a used Splawn Nitro, I would think I could probably get the same back on a resale, no???:huh

I don't buy new...I let someone else take that sticker shock! :cool:

Last edited:

marshall2288

Splawn all the way. It can do everything the 6505+ can do but the 6505+ can not do everything the Nitro can do. But it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

BPSUL

2 people had both, and they are spit.

One thing for sure, buy the PV and have 600+ bucks left in your pocket. That's tempting...

big jilm

I play a Nitro, and while I've never tried the Peavey, you might factor in that with the Splawn you can call them up on the phone and speak to the man that built your amp. Scott Splawn's customer service is top notch, and the build quality on my amp is amazing.

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
These are totally different amps...
How so? I thought both are high-gain, face-melting, city-leveling metal amps. Both have mulitiple channels: one quazi-clean, the other "gain like-there's-no-tomorrow." I would appreciate the disection of how they differ (and I mean that sincerely)....

big jilm

The Nitro's clean channel isn't quasi-clean, it's very clean. As far as the gain channel goes, I use my Nitro for hard rock, not metal and it does hard rock gain just fine. I've played a 5150 II In the music store, and I found the gain to be a completely different type to the Nitro. The Peavey was buzzier, more like a pedal. A lot of folks like them, though - just not my cup of tea. The Nitro sounds (to my ears) fuller and ballsier. The Nitro has a Marshally thing going, with more gain and tighter fuller low end.

Melodyman

I like all of the above...Marshall, gain, tighter fuller low end!!!
The bottom end of the Nitro was one of the reasons I sold it. It's not full, it's dominating and completely takes over the tone of the amp in a negative way imo.

You have to keep the bass quite low for it to sound like a normal amp, just imo. Also it's picky about cabs/speakers forcing your cab choices into a narrower realm of options.

The other reason I got rid of it was the clean channel eq bleeds into the gain channel on certain settings. I accidentally discovered this when I set one of the clean channel knobs in a higher range and it affected the gain channel.

Last edited:

big jilm

Interesting - I never noticed any EQ bleed from one channel to another - I'll have to mess with it and see if I get that. As far as the lows overpowering the amp, I don't feel that it does, but it has a lot of low end power, for sure. The resonance knob can help here. I set mine up with resonance on 0, presence about 1/2 way, bass at 2-3 o'clock, mids about noon and treble around 1 o'clock. Tight lows, but not overpowering, to my ears. Has a low mid thing going, but still has a Marshally quality. I really like mine.

LSchefman

Try them both yourself, and let your own ears be the judge.

Words on an internet forum are a lot less convincing on this subject than what your own hands, guitar, and ears tell you.

james...

Silver Supporting Member
How so? I thought both are high-gain, face-melting, city-leveling metal amps. Both have mulitiple channels: one quazi-clean, the other "gain like-there's-no-tomorrow." I would appreciate the disection of how they differ (and I mean that sincerely)....
The nitro is pretty much a hot rodded marshall with a clean channel. It has EL34's and a strong voicing in the lower mids.

The peavey has way more sizzle because of the 6L6's. And the mids are voiced a lot higher than the nitro. It also had a bit more saturation than the Nitro. It has a bit more of a modern sound. The Nitro's tone is more in the 80's modded marshall camp.

I personally like the Nitro better. The Peavey can sound harsh sometimes. If you really need the grit to cut through, or you are trying to do the metal/hard rock thing, the peavey is much better.

Trending Topics