So what happened with the Fender Increase

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gibfenderson, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

There was a lot of buzz about Fender raising prices on Feb. 1. Looks like it never happened .

2. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

What do you base that upon?

Just have a look at Dave's or Sweetwater! The only major vendor that I've found who hasn't raised their prices yet is the MF/GC/Music 123 consortium. They will soon enough.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

4. sqadan

sqadan Member

Fender just sent out a communication to all their dealers that they have till March 1st to comply with the increase or cease being a Fender dealer.

My source is the owner of my local shop.

5. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

It was already forgotten, proof that a 30% price increase during crisis isn't bad enough to grab peoples attention. So, Fender will increase their prices by 30% each trimester during this year and give a 60% discount during the between Dec 20-25. In the end, they will look good and you see people praising the company right here on TGP, which will increase their sales.

Looks like someone at Fender has been reading Machiavelli's Il Principe.

6. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Well, your observation is apt, since folks seem to have forgotten Fender's 2006 price increase of about 14-15%. So, over the span of three years we've seen an aggregate price increase of about 45%.

7. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

For what its worth, I called "my guy" at Sweetwater and told him that I couldn't justify paying the new price when folks like MF are still using the old one. He sold me my Tele for the old price. I'm afraid that's the last new Fender that I'm going to buy for a long time.

8. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

Either, they didn't raise the price or if they did they are still matching the old price.

9. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

They raised them big time here on guitars and amps, even ones they had in stock before the Feb 1st increase.

The Jazzmaster i wanted went from 1699$ to 2299$ cdn :(

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Sweetwater raised the American Deluxe Strat from $1229 to $1599. MF hasn't done it yet on their web site, but I'm sure it's coming.

11. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Why buy a new Fender anyway when the used Fender market is ginormous??

12. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

They raised the price, but because the guitar was in stock and because I have a feeling that they are not moving ANY Fender guitars until MF also raises, they will match.

13. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

No one is buying guitars these days regardless of price so this is the perfect time to raise prices.

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

MF/GC recently lowered their prices on the Gibson Reissues back to last years prices.

15. janosfia

janosfia Member

My local GC and a local mom-and-pop store both have MIMs at $449. I noticed Sweetwater's have some at $449 and some at $549.

IMHO, a $50 increase (up from $399 last year to $449) this year isn't all that bad. I'm in the market, but I'll have trouble justifying a $549 MIM.

Problem with the used market is that as prices on new ones rise so does the prices on used ones, no matter when they were purchased and for how much.

16. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Very elegant.

I've tried to say that before in too many words. Less is more.

17. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

Seems like MF sets the market on new guitar prices.

18. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yeah, but this is (apparently) and eyeball staring contest here. MF/GC officially doesn't wanna raise prices and FMIC does. Theoretically the stakes could be the loss of MF/GC dealer's rights, but who is funning who that would really happen? Sweetwater losing theirs? A long shot, but no way you spite yourself like that if you are FMIC, dumping MF/GC as a dealer. ........ ......... A year from now, will they reverse roles as to who plays Mutt, who plays Jeff? Fender will pretend it is the big bad retailers charging too much. Just as long as there is something going on to report about. Hurry, buy before it is too late!! Again? No, I know, they'll strangle off the supply like Rickenbacker does, to certain brands. Charvels and Guilds basically all but impossible to get, hoard yours now! We apologize here at Fender Musical for all these nasty retailers insisting on full MSRP for all remaining stock, not our fault, you know?

The vendors and the manufacturers collectively want to rattle our cages. Had things gone on sleepily as they were in October, almost nobody was prioritizing a guitar, bass or amp purchase and now people are starting to at least think about it. We were in a trance, there.

19. Captain_Morgan

Captain_Morgan Member

:horse

Truth is deal with your mom and pop stores.
    They usually can make you better deals and will stand by the product they sell you.

Nuff Said
    :band

MF and GC did not up there prices because of catalogs they had published, and Fender is pissed!

20. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You can build one sweet partscaster for a lot less than that.