So what kind of looper are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mojocaster.com, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

You know, those pedal doodads that allow you to record a quick phrase then play it again while you solo over it kinda thang... what do you guys use/recommend? I have never owned one and know very little about them. Mostly I want to use it for the guitar videos I post online.

Any feedback, experience, etc... it's all welcome :)

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
  3. Loobster

Loobster Member

I use an Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai at the moment. When you hold the tap tempo switch down on it, it automatically puts it into 'loop' mode and records everything you play whilst you're holinding the tap tempo switch down. As soon as your release it, it plays what you've recorded back. It's not ideal, because you have to hold the switch down all the time, but it's cool to have the option to loop no matter what delay sound you're using on the pedal at any given time.

For your purposes, if you want a pure loop pedal, look at the Boss ones. They do a compact pedal sized one that I've heard it pretty good.

4. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks! Interesting pedal. I wonder if it does a lot more than what I actually need, but worth looking into

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    See if you can interview Mike Matthews!

6. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

akai headrush?

i believe that is the choice of fatback

7. Loobster

Loobster Member

I'm interested to try a Headrush too. It'd be nice to leave my Memory Man just for delay and have something else for looping. My heroes Russian Circles use it too.

8. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

I use the ehx 2880 and it is king imo. it is however, a whole lotta looper. I use the smmh when i'm playing in a band context.

9. Loobster

Loobster Member

How does the SMMH work out for you live/in a band setting? I've not used mine with the band yet, bass player is away for a couple of weeks and I only just got it recently. I find it really hard to do looping with a drummer live. It's VERY easy to go out of time.

10. swakowski

swakowski Member

the headrush is by far the best for live looping. it's got the right amount of features for timing and overdubbing.

as much as people hate it, the DL-4 is great for live looping, it's just not road worthy. switches break, fall into the pedal and whatever else line 6 demons can create.

i'm excited for the new digitech livewire looper. basically a smmh competitor. has 8 seconds of delay like the pds 8000 and 20 seconds looper. also has a ton of 'tour tough' features.

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I dig my "new" ZVex lo-fi loop junky. Also really looking forward to my custom maneco filter eko II looper. Those are wicked. That said, I'd really like to try out a nice, hi-fi sounding looper (not to say that the maneco isn't...), like a jam man, rc-20, or 2880 or something like that.

12. Merelington

Merelington Member

Line 6 DL4. Good price, easy to use, lots of features, great delays, good quality and no tone suck. Look for the newer block models though...apparently the script ones have reliability issues.

13. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

AKAI Headrush E2. I had one, and I always had trouble with the metal momentary switches; it lead to being off-beat a lot of times.

It really depends on what kind of features you want. If you want midi sync options, you will have to go with the timefactor, rc20 (known issues?), or gibson echoplex. If you want a simple looper, go for the rc20 or dl4.

I think the Headrush E2 is probably your best bet though for a dedicated looper. I don't know how the sample rates compare to th dl4, and I can't give an honest assessment of the reliability of the dl4 (considered buying one, but too many stories about malfunction). The dl4 allows you to loop and play delay (I believe), whereas the e2 only allows for one option.

Figure out what options/capabilities you want. I ended up using my laptop to run a virtual echoplex, and I sync that to a drum machine. It's a pain in the ass to get all of it setup, but it makes life a lot easier, and you are guaranteed to stay on-beat for the most part. YMMV when playing to a metronome though, it takes a lot of practice, and I'm still not the best at it.

14. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

People keep recommending the lo-fi loop, but it's not really a looper. You have to record the track, and then turn it out. Additionally, you cant add layer upon layer, or remove layers. The Headrush e2 only allows you to remove all layers except for the original one. RC20 seems to have the most useful features, can't vouch for sound quality though.

15. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I have a Digitech JamMan...it's very easy to use, has a ton of looping time, excellent sound reproduction, and you can save your loops to your computer by using a USB cable.

My suggestion to you would be to search Youtube.com for video demos of the various loopers that are out there...JamMan, RC50, RC20XL, EH 2880, Akai Headrush, Boomerang Phrase Sampler etc....that way you can see them in action.

16. 205

205 Senior Member

Another Jamman user here, loops sound great, you can store about 6hours of music. Easy to use in a live situation as well.
    I've tried all the Boss models as well and they are all pretty good.

17. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Can you do live looping on the jam man, or do you have to record a track, save it, then bring it back up to use it?

18. Mincer

Mincer Member

Echoplex Digital Pro, probably the king of live loopers...but I also use other things...

DL-4 is great for looping...intuitive, and you get pedal control of loop volume...I just replaced my switches (gotta do that every year..grrr) and replaced the LEDs with blue ones so it is super cool now.

Boss DD-20: I don't use the SOS mode- I like long delays with variable feedback so I can make 'morphing' loops.

Boss RC-2: kinda quirky, but a wonderful pedal for practicing over static loops. The odd 'double press' to shut it off and erase makes it not so good live, but every guitar student should own one of these.

19. 205

205 Senior Member

Yes, you can do live looping, the same you would with the Boss RC-20.

20. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Boss RC-2. I have two of them---one attached to each of my amps. I use it for practice and laying down riffs that I don't want to forget. Works beautifully, and keeps me from playing the same crap over and over.

I also previously owned the Lo-Fi Loop Junky, which is a totally badass pedal. But I ended up staying with the RC-2 for the longer loop times and the cheesy drumbeats, which are great for practice.

I had the JamMan, too. It's a solid unit, with really good audio quality---but I didn't need the features (computer connections, etc) and I liked the rhythm tracks and quantize function of the RC-2.

BAN