So what kind of Strat do I have here

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GCDEF, Feb 13, 2008.

1. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Seems close to an American Deluxe, but not quite.

The seller claims it's a 2006 1960 reissue, but doesn't seem anything like a 1960 guitar to me.

Here's what I know.

It's ice blue metallic.
    Matching headstock.
    22 frets
    S-1 switching
    I think SC pickups. They're very quiet. No markings on the covers.
    Made in the USA. At least it has stickers. No country of origin on the guittar anywhere.
    Back tone control works on the bridge and middle pickups.
    Screw in trem bar.
    Has a brown rectangular case. Seems like it's made of plastic but is bumpy like tweed.

Looks like some kind of one-off American Deluxe, but I think in 2006 they had pop in trems. This is screw in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I posted a pic. Can't you see it?

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

No, unless your strat is square with a red x on it.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

6. sqadan

sqadan Member

It looks like a 62 reissue with a painted headstock... the brown tolex case also hints at it being a 60's reissue of some kind...

The big oddity is the skunk stripe down the back of the neck.... I thought these were done away with by the sixties when the truss rods were inserted under the rosewood slab.

It's not an American Deluxe... the deluxe does not have vintage style tuners or bridge... Anyone else want to venture a guess??

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I forgot to mention, it has 22 frets. That kind of precludes any kind of 60s anything I would think. The SC pickups and S-1 switching would too. I've got the big Fender catalog from 2006. There's nothing like it in there.

8. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

If it wasn't for the S-1 switching, I'd say it's an American Vintage Series '62 reissue. Check the serial number ... if it begins with SE, it's a special edition.

It looks like the 'thinskin' special editions of the American '62 reissue some dealers have carried over the last couple of years with the matching headstock.

Some have other special features - the standard 62 reissue would have a 7.25" neck radius and smaller vintage frets. Some of the special editions have a flatter 9.5" radius and 6105 style frets (tall, narrow frets). Some also have a thinner nitro finish.

Hope this helps.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You mean like this?

That one's quite a bit different. 21 frets, wrong pickups, ashtray, 3-way switch.

10. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I've seen another unit like this. It's Fender Custom Shop NOS 60 reissue - except the one I saw is the relic version. The colour and all the details are the same as this guitar.

11. GregoryL

You're right, it's different, but check the serial number ... if it is a special edition, a dealer could have ordered a run of vintage reissues (the tuners, trem, headstock shape and scripting are all standard AVRI) with 'modern' components, like the pickups, switching etc.

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

13. GregoryL

I'm confident it's not a Custom Shop guitar, it would have the badge on on the back of the headstock.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

No that's not a custom shop. It's an FSR from a few years ago, and they came in that ice blue color as well as oly white with gold hardware. Nitro finish. Fender's standard med-jumbo frets, not 6105s. Full block vintage trem, noiseless pickups. I think they were called Vintage Player 62's or something like that.

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

16. crosse79

crosse79 Member

HI you're right. This one is not a Custom Shop. The one I saw was indded a Custom Shop Relic with no S1 switching.

17. John C

John C Supporting Member

buddastrat is right - this was an FSR model from 2005 or 2006 with the goal of "merging" American Vintage and American Deluxe features.

For those not familiar with "FSR" these are "Factory Special Run" guitars that Fender does up in limited numbers (say 200-300 in each color they choose). Some FSRs are done for a specific retailer (say Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, or Sam Ash); others are offered through multiple dealers and often go to "known" dealers like Wildwood in Colorado or Dave's Guitars in Wisconsin. I remember that Wildwood had a bunch of these "Vintage Player '62s" in Ice Blue and in some red (either Dakota or Candy Apple). There was also a '57 Strat, '62 Tele, and some type of maple-neck '50s Tele but I don't remember the year.

However, since these are limited runs, Fender never puts info on them up on their website. It would be nice if they (or someone else) would build a database of the models.

18. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

19. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Both the '60 reissue and '62 reissue that have been referenced on this site pickguard screws in different places than the guitar of the OP. Specifically, the screw on the bass side, nearest the middle pickup. I know the '60 Strat originally had that screw midway between the middle pup and neck, while it was subsequently moved closer to the middle pup (I thought that move had been done by '62, but one of the photos in this thread of an alleged '62 RI has the '60 pickguard.)

20. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure now that it's this one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...6&src=3SOSWXXA