So what makes a Gibson '61 Reissue SG more expensive than the Standard???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clay49, Feb 18, 2012.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

A friend of mine has me helping him track down an SG, and so I've notice that the used Gibson USA '61 Reissue runs $300-$400 more than a used SG Standard. What's up with that? Can't see how a slightly different neck carve, different pickups and smaller pickguard add up to 35% more on the price tag...any logical reasoning behind this? There certainly doesn't seem to be fewer '61 reissues available...what am I missing here :huh ???

2. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

The '61 used to be quite a bit different in comparison to the standard. I have a 61 reissue from 2002 and it has a different neck joint, different body contouring, nickel hardware, larger headstock, ABR-1 bridge, one piece body, etc. It's a great guitar, feels like a historic. The new 61 reissues aren't as nice IMO.

3. smokey

smokey Member

It's even more of a difference new. $2k at GC, versus $1.2 for the standard. I love the neck on the 61. It's the only SG neck profile that suits my hand. But I've also seen people say that the thin neck is unstable. So i'm not sure why the big difference either. The 57 classic Humbuckers are first rate so thats part of it.

4. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, but if you bought a set of 57 Classics or the 490/498 combo from Gibson (or any other dealer), would you not pay the same price for each set?

5. RJLII

RJLII Member

The Gibson Marketing Department.

6. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

I bought the standard over the reissue because of the neck profile. I also agree with the earlier post the reissue used to be clearly different from the standard.

7. Marble

Marble Member

when did they switch over? I love my '05 '61 RI but its got a nashville bridge and chrome hardware and stuff