So.. what pickups came stock in a 68 Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jrm, Jan 28, 2008.

1. jrm

jrm Member

Simple question I guess... but what came stock in the 68 Les Paul. If it is something that isn't being made today, what are the tonal equivalents that can be found today? Thanks!

2. hogy

hogy Member

Gibson T-Top humbuckers. Called T-Tops because one of the bobbins has a "T" cast into it. Not Gibson's best humbuckers IMO and therefore not often "cloned" these days. They are cleaner and more sterile than the earlier versions.

You can find them on ebay. Used to be near worthless, but like everything old these days the prices are going up.

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-gibson-les...oryZ7266QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. jrm

jrm Member

Thanks! So, these aren't especially powerful/hot pickups then from what I can tell?

4. hogy

hogy Member

No. By that time Gibson had automated the winding process and most T-Tops are really similar, unlike PAFs. They almost always read in the 7.8k DC resistance range.

However, if memory serves, Gibson's "distortion" pickups of the 1970s (i.e. "Dirty Fingers") had T-Top bobbins, too (somebody correct me), and those are way hot and middy, in the 15k range. But that's not what would have come in a '68 LP.

5. Joe324

Joe324 Member

Tweedbuckets old pickups?! ALSO YOU CAN HIT OUR MAILING LIST ON TEH EBAY STORE :D