So....what would you do?..getting guitar synth sounds for rap songs and then some :) What pedal(s)?

harritone

Just accepted a very nice gig....but they do a ton of non guitar stuff. I am the ONLY melodic instrument. All sorts of rap, reggae(horn melody), dance....yada yada. What are some good synth/orchestral inst/crazy effect type guitar pedals that could do the job?...That are space friendly on a pedalboard, if possible... trying to figure out how they hell im going to get this rap stuff to sound convincing...or what would you do? open to anything

Thx!

Whammy is a given for rap in what ever form factor is convenient. There are several now.

GR-55 can do orchestral stuff, but requires a separate pickup and I'm not sure how much I would trust it live. SY-300 will do synth with no pickup.

Any type of octaver, auto wah, lfo pedals.

Digitech Dirty Robot is a good cheap synth pedal.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Tons of different options, depending on what you are going for.
POG
SuperEgo
Miku Stomp
Nemesis (check out the Eyore delay patch created by @dickjonesify for some trippy reverse delay action, among other interesting sounds that can be wrung out of this little beauty)
Zoom MS-70CDR (there's all kinds of great mod stuff in this inexpensive pedal. I particularly love the rendition of Particle Verb in there, but I am not sure that would work for rap stuff, since it is more of a swell effect)
Boss SY-300
etc, etc, etc...

WillLane

Just accepted a very nice gig....but they do a ton of non guitar stuff. I am the ONLY melodic instrument. All sorts of rap, reggae(horn melody), dance....yada yada. What are some good synth/orchestral inst/crazy effect type guitar pedals that could do the job?...That are space friendly on a pedalboard, if possible... trying to figure out how they hell im going to get this rap stuff to sound convincing...or what would you do? open to anything

Thx!
What I would do would be to get a MIDI key controller and some software and go to town. I think for the most part, using standalone pedals will still make your sound "feel" like a guitar. If you put the money into units like the Roland GR-55, BOSS SY-300, and Fishman Triple Play, you can get a lot closer to being a synth- but at that point, you are really playing synth and not really playing the guitar- and so, just play synth.

theroan

Boss SY-300 for true synth sounds. I find the EHX pedals to have a lag in tracking
I would also get a EHX SuperEgo. You can drone a chord or note and then put something else in the loop. For instance I used to run a Mobius in pre mode so I could add an rotary speaker sound to the drone but then what I played over top would be uneffected.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
I find the line6 M9 to be a capable catch-all for these kind of situations. A bunch of synth sounds in there, pad-like reverbs, and a boat load of other stuff. Filters not polyphonic though.

OP- What expectations were set by the band when you got the gig? I'm assuming that they're hiring a guitar player because they want...well, a guitar player (and want your instrument to sit sonically in "the guitar space"). If that's the case, I'd point you to go listen to something like Jim Davies Electronic Guitar album. Jim was the guitar player for Pitchshifter and The Prodigy (which are both bands with some very sonically dense and busy mixes). Although the genre is probably more extreme than what you'll be playing, listening to the way he creates his parts might help you better determine what you really need to think about for effects (Jim doesn't use any off the wall stuff or sounds) and what you really need to think about in terms of style and phrasing (hint- it's 95%+ this).

Trending Topics