So, what would you do with this guitar? Refinish?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MBreinin, Jul 13, 2008.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

This is a mutt that I put together to cop Van Halen tones a few years ago. I didn't paint this body, I scored from E-Bay pre-painted. It is Basswood. Has my "magic" PU in it, a Hybrid Duncan that is simply amazing. Old school non-tuner Floyd and a very slim and incredible Fender maple neck. This guitar sounds amazing and plays amazing. Thing is, I have kinda outgrown the Frankie paint scheme and I keep thinking of refinishing it. I am afraid I will lose some of the mojo...

This is one of those guitars that because of the finish, you feel like you HAVE to play screaming rock on, and nothing else. Of course it is a one PU screamer..so it does lend itself to that.

What would you do? Keep it as is, or refinish it? I keep thinking it would like nice in a more traditional vintage Fender color.

Ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

I think it looks pretty good for a VH copy as far as the paint job, just remove the pickguard. If you're not gigging with it I'd leave it. If you're playing out with it, I'd consider painting it or keeping it for your VH set. All I know is that if I played a guitar like that in public, I'd have to work on my chops to back it up!

3. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Leave it alone. Refinishing, IMO, is a losing proposition, unless you are skilled at that type of work or have the money to burn to pay for a good refinish.

I destroyed a good Strat trying to sand the finish off. I ended up paying to have a professional job done for more than a new finished Warmoth body would have cost. And what was my main guitar for 10 years or more definitely lost it's mojo.

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Refinishing is FUN and CHEAP and easy.

If you are just trying to get something you're not embarrassed to play or if you want to experiment with making something your own: DO IT.

Just sand/strip (sand down to where its evenly smooth if its not poly) then get some Krylon with maybe a good strong primer and then get some DEFT or Classic QuikCote Lacquer (which is Nitro). Then just sand with ever finer till the final buff and yer done!

5. MBreinin

I was thinking of sending it out. I could Krylon it myself, but it takes forever to dry and I don't have a paint gun for proper painting. I was thinking of having it done in nitro by a pro. It is worth the money to me, I will never sell this guitar. I am just worried that I will mess up the rattle can mojo!!

FWIW, the PG is on there because Eddie did have a PG on Frankie at one point, a HSS layout briefly around Fair Warning. This was the look I was basing it on.

Mike

6. jda

jda Member

I'd try to find another body that I liked and keep that one just in case.

7. MBreinin

The body on this one is part of the magic!

Mike

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Usually I'm the first one to say paint a guitar if you pretty much love everything except the color.

For some reason on this one, I say leave it as is unless it truly bothers you to no end.

10. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Gold Sparkle- Magic Elvis II.

11. MBreinin

Where is Elvis now? Last time I heard, Atomic had it and lost it...again.

Mike

12. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'd take sandpaper to it and try to get the old ESP finish like Vernon Reid & Bruce Kullik had on their guitars. With the red, white & black you might get a Burning Water kind of finish.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Do something about the lame pickguard, but other than that, it's a great-looking tribute guitar.

If the finish keeps you out of certain gigs though, that's another story.

14. MBreinin

I like the lame PG!

No, it doesn't keep me from gigs. It never leaves the house.

Thanks for all of the replies, guys.

Mike

15. larimar

larimar Member

I vote for a refinish in something that still retains the guitars Rock N' Roll flavor.