So what's a left-hand taper pot?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Leonc, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking at an old schematic for an amp from the late 50s. It has several pots for vol and tone specified simply in terms of resistance (i.e., taper not indicated). But the depth pot for the tremolo is specified as "350K Left Hand Taper"

I've read one or two references indicating that this means audio taper...and then I've seen guitar pots that are called "Left handed pots". If this means audio taper...do you think that they were using linear taper for the other vol and tone pots?

So anyone know what's meant by this term, left hand taper?

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

seems like just a standard audio taper pot.

a right hand pot is a reverse audio taper.

3. Leonc

Yeah, that's basically all I could come up with after a bit of googling. So seeing as how there's no taper description for the rest of the pots, one might assume the other pots are linear then, eh?

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Wouldn't left-hand = reverse log ? The assumption that the majority of people are right handed.

5. cap47

cap47 Member

You have 3 terminals on the pot. The center is the wiper. If you want CW control low to high you have to use the correct end of the remaining terminals. You can change it to CCW by using the other remaining end.

6. Leonc

Understood...but I believe left hand taper refers to the pot's taper...not whether you turn the knob clock-wise or counter-clockwise. As I said earlier, I believe it may simply be "old jargon" for logarithmic or audio taper, as opposed to linear taper. I'm just looking for confirmation from an old timer who may be familiar with the term.

BTW, for a look this term's use in a schematic, see RA5 in this schematic. (It's the Depth pot in the tremolo circuit.) Note that there is no mention of taper on any of the other pots. So I think either they're all linear and "left hand taper" means audio...or the others are all audio and "left hand taper" means reverse audio. I'm hoping someone either knows its meaning or can deduce it based on the desired functionality of the amp, which is quite like a 5E3 with tremolo.