So what's everyone's music sound like?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sonaboy, Feb 16, 2006.

1. sonaboy

sonaboy Member

post links, files, witty descriptions...

i need some distractions at work today.

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

No clips right now. I had some a while back on soundclick but I deleted them all one night when I wasn't happy with it. Half the stuff I play is pretty mellow rock/jam but I also play what I have kinda termed "jambient", like a combination of jam and ambient. I guess it's really just post rock though but more open to improv. I have themes but never play stuff the same way twice.

3. billygoat

billygoat Member

4. jeak

jeak Member

There's a link to my site in my signature. For verbal descriptions, here's another.

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

6. dave s

dave s Member

Most that hear my music say something to the effect of: "80s pop rock meets 60s."

I like to record guitars with mostly very separated clean tones. Overall mix is always clear, tight and punchy. Songs are very vocal oriented with lots of harmonies and I use very 80s sounding FX (stereo chorus and reverb) to provide that "chorus of angels" to the backing vocal tracks. Lead vox are usually double-tracked ala 60s style and very dry and up front.

So the songs I write and record sound like if an 80s pop rock band used gear from the 60s to record music trax, then went into the studio to record vocal trax. I guess I'm kinda shooting for that 'garage band' style of recording.

I guess I'm kind of shooting for the sound of Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend album.

dave

7. erksin

erksin Member

No clips to share, but for the most part I compose stuff in the 'roots/Americana' vein...

8. erksin

erksin Member

That's a great target to aim at!

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

+1!

10. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Decent music played by a rotten guitarist. :p

11. exhausted

exhausted Member

ditto on the matthew sweet sound thumbs up. that record and altered beast are brilliant sounding.

i suppose i sound like simple acoustic songs with loads of effected guitar parts on top. i don't know. i'd be a lot louder if i was working with other people probably.

12. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

It used to be Space Rock, in the Hawkwind/Floyd/Gong/VdGG vein, now I'd call it ecclectic rock. Or simply rock would do.
    Or as we put it on our flyers : it's rock, jim, but not as you know it.

Jan

13. sonaboy

sonaboy Member

nice stuff on the acoustic there, from your CDbaby page. very well done, and i don't even listen to that type of music, most of the time.

14. sonaboy

sonaboy Member

oh, by the way - a small plug for my stuff. i just noticed this afternoon that SunSeaSky records have finally uploaded their Winter sampler, which we're a part of, along with many bands I really like. Some of our friends on the recording are Olympic Size and Schooled In Victory - and, for you heavy post-rock fans, we ALMOST got the Isis/Neurosis side project RED SPARROWS to contribute, but they pulled out at the last minute. That would have been a hell of a record.

anyway - for those of you interested, have a listen to some great unsigned acts. The sampler is on the front page, bottom right side - you click the link and it pops an audio player up in its own window. Be sure to turn off the regular featured music player at the top though...confused? great...
    SunSeaSky Records

15. Franklin

Franklin Member

The band I just left is listed below, Red River Soul. They are trying to "make it", and that's not my thing so we found a replacement who also desires to "make it".

There are some samples from our latest CD on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/redriversoul

I just joined another working band, Corkscrew:

http://www.myspace.com/corkscrewtheband
    http://www.corkscrewtheband.com

None of the recordings of Corkscrew feature me on guitar, not yet! The band is actually a jam-band, but many originals sound like modern indie-rock stuff. The newer originals will be more jammy I hope! :D

16. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

17. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Thanks so much! To be honest, I don't listen to that type of music very much either, but I love to play it.

Bryan

18. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Check the Myspace link in my sig. :cool:

19. jrm

jrm Member

Christian rock ala' chili peppers, dave matthews, switchfoot.. Just some fun positive rock!

www.myspace.com/theridemusic

let us know what you think!

20. exodus

exodus Member