So What’s Exactly Wrong With A Normal Boss BD-2 (Blues Driver)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dreamingaxe, Oct 14, 2019.

1. dreamingaxe

dreamingaxe Member

So,

i’m looking for decent OD to add to my gain stage, and I’ve been looking at boutique pedals that costs an arm, a leg and a liver. But Boss BD-2’s are just going cheap-as-chips in the marketplace. Ive heard demos, they sound good, also the modded ones by Analogman, Keeley and whoever makes this.

so whats exactly wrong about the normal one? Muddy? Middy? Too much or lacking in some areas?? I’m gonna boost this with a Timmy and I have a Klon clone on top of it all.

abnerfm likes this.
  2. babbyb

babbyb Member

There's nothing wrong with the regular one. It's great. People love throwing money at things for minuscule improvement.

3. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

This is TGP. Plain Jane vanilla pedals are looked down upon.

4. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Best answer would be to acquire one yourself and make your own determination. If you like it, then that's all that matters.

5. Ps28

Ps28 Member

It's not a Timmy clone with an ugly finish and a 375 dollar price tag.

UrbanHymns, mamimi, saltbird and 22 others like this.
  6. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

why does something have to be 'wrong' with it ? i modded one of mine with the monte allums out of curiosity but the difference is minimal imo.
    the BD-2 is perfect if you like the gain structure, and sucks if you don't ... probably why there's a gazillion overdrives on the market

Drew66 and Matt Dillon like this.
  7. dreamingaxe

dreamingaxe Member

I can understand this!

but arent we supposed to celebrate simple things??

Yessir. thats what Im planning on doing.

i’m a Timmy fan! Ive had timmy clones for years because I couldnt get an original Timmy, then I was able to acquire one. Sold all the clones. The timmy is cheaper than any clone Ive bought!

i guess to make my point clear, is that Ive read about the “improvements” of the builders write about this, the terms “clearer”, “more transparent”, “less this or that”, “more this or that”.. so thats why i asked whats wrong in the first place?

but like you said, out of curiosity. I can respect that. But Im hesitant to pay 300-400 dollars for a small improvement?

fretless likes this.
  8. slowburn

slowburn Member

I had a bd-2 (stock) and a keeley bd-2. Both sounded great. I didn’t need the extra bass since my amp was more than enough so the keeley “phat” switch was wasted on me. Both had a little too much “fizz” crackle on the tail end of the decay of distorted notes, but you could only hear it playing at home alone. I sold both only because I got them both dirt cheap and made money on them as I was saving up for a timeline delay at the time.

Silver Hand likes this.
  9. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Mine was great for recorded strat tones. I had trouble using it live. It was a bit thin sounding for me.

10. conrad79

conrad79 Member

IMHO if anything is actually wrong with it, it’s that the tone knob can get very shrill even past 10 or 11 o’clock. But one man’s “shrill” is another man’s “cuts perfectly through the mix” so yea as said above, try one out and see how you like it :cool:

11. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

there was a bit more clarity with the allums mod, but i consider it diy time wasted as neither of the BD-2 are on my boards. Both my Timmys are.
    300-400 will buy you a NICE od ... for that kind of money i'd be looking at kingsley, gurus, petty john, strymon, chase bliss, source audio, dr. scientist and a thousand other builders, good luck

12. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Muddy veiled buffer.. put it in the chain, don’t engage, listen, take it back out, listen...

I’ll suggest the Cmatmods Butah. It’s pretty cheap and I personally love it for low gain.

lemonman, woof* and Kevsonic like this.
  13. Dee S One

Dee S One Member

I've had the stock BD-2 & currently have a Keeley Phat Mod.

Negligible difference in stock mode but the Phat switch can be handy at times and I prefer the form factor of the Keeley Pedal.
    Its really one of the great underrated overdrives out there for the full-range light gain breakup thing.

I did a gig on Saturday playing mostly clean rhythm doing surf instrumentals. I was looking for something to tread on for a few choruses to make them pop and leave on for slightly rockier tunes.

I auditioned a Timmy, Screwdriver, Snouse Black Box, Hudson Broadcast, Spaceman Saturn VI, Wampler Euphoria (I only wanted one drive on a tiny board) & ended up with the Phat Mod. Any of the others would have been fine too but I was using a Thinline Tele that is a bit bright and scooped and the Phat Mod suited it perfectly. In the end in a band mix I had the Phat switch off anyway.

I also had an RC Boost on the board and for the last song I turned them both on (boost after) and had one of the great crunch rhythm sounds I've had.

Honestly an RC Boost and Blues Driver can get you practically anywhere short of super high gain stuff.

UnbrokenChainz likes this.
  14. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Member

The mods are pretty subtle. I've played both a stock and Keeley modded (I own a Keeley modded BD-2). The stock has a bit of top end fizz; the way the notes decay is quite jagged for want of a better word. Most of the mods retain the same basic character and EQ (though some add a little bass), just round off the sound a little. It's definitely an improvement, but the stock version is still a very good pedal.

Edit: I would also note that the fizziness is exacerbated a fair bit if you stack it.

15. taoski

taoski Member

If someone doesn't like the base BD-2, chances are all the mods and improvements won't do it for therm either (unless it's an 'almost'). For me personally, I mostly use the phat mode of my Keeley, but I'd still use it if it didn't have that mode.

Silver Hand and Sparadrap like this.
  16. CoastalRyan

CoastalRyan Supporting Member

I use an Angry Driver regularly. Really versatile pedal and the BD works well with Angry Charlie.

If you’re wanting more than just a run of the mill BD.

17. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

I've become more of an OD-3 fan in the last year, but have owned a BD-2 for a while. As one poster above stated, there are some odd artifacts on the tail end of a note on a BD-2. It's only noticeable at more subtle settings, but not an uncommon issue with alot of manufacturers.

A poster here explained it as a circuit sputtering out when it's approaching a low voltage threshold. I'm not a hardware guy, so don't know if it's true.

The Boss OD-3 seems to have fixed this tail artifact, and I also have a hard time hearing this tail artifact with the Timmy or Prince of Tone as well. With the BD-2, it's very easy to induce this in comparison.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    npappas, ThinPaperWings and ckfoxtrot like this.
  18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

But an OD-3 has a brittle transition point into distortion and produces a fizziness.
    It is clearly a YMMV world on OD response, so try them all, believe nothing in reviews.

Silver Hand likes this.
  19. dreamingaxe

dreamingaxe Member

Ive now come to the conclusion like you that believe nothing when it comes to reviews... for the longest time Ive been reading a lot, and I passed on a few pedals because of negative reviews only to try one a few years later and it was the exact opposite of what I "believed"..

Yes I can certainly buy something more than the run of the mill BD-2.. but I guess the price is just the biggest factor.. I already got my main drives settled and was just looking to add to the gain stages I have.. but decent and cheap.. There's lots of BD-2s.. and Bad Monkeys too.. I am also considering an OCD, if it comes up for sale,

I guess what Im saying is, there's a lot of options, and Im finding it hard to spend more than what a BD-2 costs used as of the moment.. Im depending on my Timmy to make everything sound good.. FWIW, Ive never found an overdrive pedal that didnt play well with a Timmy before it.. but Ive never tried a BD-2 yet..

20. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I didn't like the BD-2 because of that crackly thing, and I also felt like it kind of sucked the body out of my tone somehow. This was exacerbated when stacking- when in conjunction with other dirt boxes, I felt like I ended up with a lot of treble and not much else.

It could be the combination of dirt boxes I was using at the time (which I incidentally don't remember, it was a while ago). I have since learned that some pedals just plain don't get along with other pedals, and it can be very case specific in some instances.

At the end of the day, I found it to be on the 'shrill' end of things. Which is weird, because I actually generally really like toppy, bass-cut sounds. I even tried the Screaming Blues which was Digitechs take on the BD, but with a Bass knob, but even that seemed like something was missing that couldn't be replaced by the bass.

A lot of people love it, though. I don't knock it, all I can say is that it didn't work for my specific needs. :dunno

ThinPaperWings likes this.