So what's the consensus on the Fulldrive 2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Charles#5, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but never having used one myself, I was wondering what everyone who has thinks about it. I have the impression that it has become quite controversial. Hype or really great?

Cheers,

Johan.

2. woude

woude Member

I think it's a superb pedal. It's very versatile, sounds great, build solid and I think it's priced reasonable. I've tried a lot of overdrive pedals and I think it is the boutique tubescreamer others should be measured against. :cool: It's not a transparant pedal, but what it does to a stratocaster is soooo nice! I should be called the 'fatdrive' instead of fulldrive :)

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have the recently released 10th Anniversary Full-Drive2 Mosfet Edition. GREAT pedal. VERY versatile. The "Mosfet" side of the pedal (Vintage or FM) is a little more open and transparent (where I use it the most) than the "standard" TS side of the pedal, but even the "standard" TS side sounds MUCH better than the older Full Drive I owned about 8 years ago.

I like it.

Chuck

4. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I've got a '97 here that's the best one I've played through. I've owned 4 - 5 other ones.

It's not a cork sniffer OD, but if you get a good one it'll kick serious TS butt if you're into that kind of sound.

5. jakeowen

jakeowen Supporting Member

Any way to tell the good ones from the bad ones?

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Mosfet version, best one IMO.

7. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I would have said 'start by looking for an older one' but a lot of people with great ears think the new ones are the best.

8. onemind

onemind Member

I was very pleased with my older (push/pull comp) model, but replaced it with the Mosfet edition for versatility (and as Richard would say its cork-sniffer aspirations (or mine!). I don't miss the older one...

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Why?

10. Mike K

Mike K Silver Supporting Member

I think its a great pedal and one of the industry standards. I have a cream colored custom shop model from 04' and I swear that it sounds way better than an older blue 99' that I used to have. I guess I just got a good one, or better one?

11. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

I don't like it....

It doesn't do anything perfectly well...tries to be too versitile, thus never being amazing at any ONE thing...it's an ok TS and an ok low/mid gain boost, but the TS sounds too smooth/lacks definative mid hump that many other TS's do much better, and it's low/mid gain boost/OD stuff doesn't have enough low end bass to it..

IMHO..

-j

12. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Bang for buck, one of the best OD pedals made IMHO.

13. justicetones

justicetones Member

I love it. I use it in Comp Cut mode to tone shape my other OD's. Also sounds good as a mild clean boost with some hair:MMM

I would love to buy a mosfet edition.

14. eric-d

eric-d Member

I had the Regular without the toggle switch, but with the push/pull comp on the volume knob, and I didn't like it that much. I tried a friend of mines with the new toggle switch and still didn't like it. I think the pedal isn't all that great. I'd rather own two Maxon OD-808's... Hell, buy two TImmy's... Stack two overdrives, it'll sound much better than a Fulldrive.

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

It's like any other pedal discussed here - some love it, some don't. Which pretty much makes the reviews less than utterly helpful unless you either know the reviewers and their tastes personally or they're extremely specific in their comments.

I own one, it's a fine pedal. It's not on my board now, I prefer my Reverend Drivetrain II.

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

A great pedal - I still have my original '96 one I used constantly for recording, gigs & touring. I've just recently put it on the back burner in favor of an assortment of BJF pedals, but honestly it was more out of just wanting to try something different than any dissatisfaction with the FD II. I imagine I'll come back to it again sometime.

People forget, when it was first issued the FDII was a pretty innovative pedal that ended up becoming a real trend-setter...

17. 1968

1968 Member

I had one for a while- I found it was great for thick creamy ODs through a LP style setup. But it doesn't seem to clean up very well.. Though I never got a chance to try it on 18V..
    * Its also one of those pedals that you need to crank up loud- great for band situations..

18. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Totally agree with the overwhwlming majority here. Great pedal, even somewhat of a benchmark or classic. Sooo versatile, and I think it does everything it's designed for really well. Built to last, and I agree that for the price, it's a lot of pedal. I take exception to the one comment of a lack of transparency...On 'comp-cut', it's among the most transparent I've heard. The only controversy I'm aware of is regarding its builder, Mike Fuller. He's quite outspoken and a bit of a character, and has pissed a few people off from time to time, but was always helpful the few times I called with questions. AC

19. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Traded my FD2 for a SoulBender then run it into an old USA Big Muff.

Jet

20. Roe

Roe Member

FD2 is great for strats, but not quite so great for LPs and 335s. DP has a tighter bass.