So, what's the deal with Heritage?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BlueHeaven, May 19, 2020.

1. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

I've had this thing for an H535 lately (even though the stars would have to align) but read some worrisome stuff yesterday about a management change in 2016 and major problems as a result. Said a number of original craftsmen were let go, new management wouldn't listen to advice from those remaining, and over 300 instruments that were built after the sale had to be destroyed. I was probably never going to be able to actually buy one but it was fun dreaming. Anyone know how things are now?

2. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

If you are concerned, just get a Gibson 335... I dont think anyone has inside knowledge at Heritage.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Since I see you are in Michigan, at one time they gave factory tours. Unsure if that continued after the management change and certainly problematic right now. That would be a great way to check out what is really happening there, talk with true insiders, and see play and hear the latest guitars, and figure out what you can do.

The same buyers of Heritage I think brought back the Harmony brand of guitars and pedals -- which may be the core company's main focus of activity because of the capital involved and sales risks of relaunching that brand.

The Heritage factory was the true Authentic Source of the original late 50s single cuts. The Nashville/etc ones are just copies ....

4. Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie Member

I have 5 Heritage guitars but they were made well before the acquisition (i also have 6 Gibsons...not bragging just saying, I like both guitar makers a lot). I do know that there are still craftsmen from the old days working there (at least that is what they are saying on the Heritage Owners Club site). I think the quality is still there, I mean, it is still a small operation. Don't know for sure though. Maybe someone else can chime in.

5. Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie Member

You can always buy used. I do occasionally see H535s up for sale on CL, Reverb, EBAY, etc.

6. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Nah, I'm a paranoid person I guess :D ! If I could play it prior to purchase maybe. I wish I were not this way lol

7. pressure

pressure Member

This guitar was made by Heritage after it was bought by new owners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any questions?

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  8. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Heritage started in 1985. Exactly how many of those original craftsmen do you think were still around 31 years later?

Gibson's management has been in constant turmoil since forever, and they've continually produced great guitars, I'm sure the same applies to Heritage.

9. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

I bought an H535 last year, and have also toured the factory recently, as I live about 4 miles from it. it’s my third Heritage. The first, a late 80s 150, was not great. The second, and H157, sounded great but was over 11 pounds and I couldn’t deal with that for long.
    I obviously can’t speak for every newer Heritage out there but my 535 is freakin phenomenal. The fit, finish, and sound are exactly what I want out of a semi hollow and it plays beautifully. There’s not a detail of it that I think could have been done better.

10. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

I'm just quoting the article but thinking about it, that probably put some of those guys in their late 50s to mid 60s.

11. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Thanks