So what's with all of hype behind Demeter amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by -=MYK=-, Aug 16, 2005.

1. -=MYK=-

-=MYK=- Member

I read some post on here talking these things up like they were the next Two Rock, and I went to the site and listened to the clips, and to be honest they sounded comparable to a classic 30. Am I missing something here, or is that what sound there were made to make?:confused: If so that's a really expensive classic 30 amp at $2,000.

Here's the website incase anyone wants to check out the clips, and such:

http://www.demeteramps.com/

Let's hear your thoughts!

2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Dispite what you heard the Demeter amps are not hyped around here.

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

Those clips don't really do the amp justice. I had a TGA-2 50 watter, and it was a great sounding head. Very smooth and balanced sounding. I ended up preferring more of an open, crangy, Hiwatty sound, but the Demeters are great at what they do. Oh, and they have the best effects loops I've ever used, bar none. My Rotosphere never sounded better than when used in the Demeter's loop.

Actually, the current TGA-2.1 is supposed to be a more open, less compressed evolution of the TGA2. Maybe I should try another one...

4. mattk22

mattk22 Member

My brother has one (a TGA-2.1), and I think it really kills.

5. hipfan

hipfan Member

Yeah, Demeter's one of the *least* hyped quality amps around here. Maybe MYK is using reverse psychology on us. :D

6. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

They do look cool. I've always wanted to try one out. I had heard that they didn't really sound great until they were cranked up pretty loud. I have no idea if that is true but it prevented me from trying one out.

7. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

"The next Two Rock"??? James Demeter has been making gear since 1980. Great designs, quality build, and killer tones from a respected company. Just check out his website and the artist roster using Demeter Products. I have an old TGP-3 Preamp and TGA Power Amp and get all kinds of great tones at any volume. If I had not fallen in love with an old Budda Stringmaster recently I was going to get a new TGA-2.1 as a back-up/ alternate rig. From the Demeter Tube Direct Box, to all the bass and studio products, as well as his guitar pedals, Demeter Products have stood the test of time and critical acclaim, they really don't need to be hyped.
    FWIW,
    Rick

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I have them. TGA-2 sounds decent, but not that exceptional to me.

TGA-3 on the other hand, which are not made any more, are one of the great amps of all time. There are hot dry fiery sounds that these things make that nothing else does.

Now I am going by the Demeters that I have here. Another guy on these boards who likes Demeters thinks the TGA-2 and TGA-3 he knows sound exactly the other way around from what I described. We believe there may be consistency issues with Demeters that could explain this. Maybe the TGA-3 he came across wasn't in good maintenance. (I know my TGA-2 is in good maintenance because I had it gone through by Matt Wells on account of it really didn't seem to be up to the hoped for standard of my TGA-3s).

As to being the next Two Rock? I think it's more like Demeter was the one after Rivera - Demeter's high point was in the early nineties.

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Try it. Try more than one is my advice. This is based on information that has been shared on the Gear Page over the past few months. I think the TGA-3s sound great, fiery, searing, superheated cleans, and the TGA-2 sounds kind of like a pale imitation. But another Demeter fan here came to the opposite conclusion.

So this might be one of those "you never know" deals where any given Demeter might be one of the real good ones.

Plus, you might just not like them - good or bad examples. Whenever you get a good chance to try out something you haven't tried before, why not?

10. mrotenberry

mrotenberry Member

I would be interested in finding out more about the TGA-2.1. Anyone own one that could give it a review?

Merrick

11. -=MYK=-

-=MYK=- Member

Actually...

I was reading through some past posts about Fuchs amps, and someone mentioned them having the same sort of sound as the fuchs or an *umble type amp so I checked them out and the clips just sort of let me down a bit:eek:

Thanks for everyone that chimed in with info on it though, I appreciat it!

12. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Hmmm, you are new to this forum and have started knocking builders, makes me wonder if you have an axe to grind. Are you a competitor of Demetor and Fuch mascarading as an interested customer? If not, I have no problem with you knocking their products, you just seem a little fishy, that's all.

John Kelley Brown

13. -=MYK=-

-=MYK=- Member

I was looking for info here.

Who knows, Mr.Demeter might build amazing amps and I might play one and it might blow the ass out of my pants, but the clips on the site didn't really blow my skirt up. A few people here have stated that they indeed sound good, and not quite like the clips portray them. So I won't give up on them, I was just sceptical that's all.

Best wishes,

Michael:)

14. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

No problem, sounds like you are legit.

15. -=MYK=-

-=MYK=- Member

Okay, I'll drive over to her place. Anything you might want me to ask her while I'm there?

16. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

For her phone number:p ... I lost it the last time she gave it to me, and for an older lady, man she drives me crazy:D

-TJK

17. -=MYK=-

-=MYK=- Member

Okay, I'm back. I never made is past the gaurd dog, but I did find some ncie food on the way back to my place.:)

And yes, she is rather nice looking;)

What gave it away:confused:

Was it my post count:eek:

18. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Like your style 'odd shaped cog!'

Spent some time with Bonnie in Santa Fe <longer than I care to admit ago>. Great woman (I don't need to say incredible musician).

After dinner, she sat back and said 'Sh!t, I'm as fat as a tick'.

I still chortle to this day.

EP.

19. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I don't know about Fuchs, but I know how Demeter amps can sound like old Dumbles. The first famous Dumble sound was that of Lowell George and David Lindley. And Demeter TGA-3s can sound like that. Even more than late Dumbles. That Dumble style sound is one I really like, and even though I have a 100 Watt Overdrive Special, the TGA-3 is where I most easily get that sound.

So yeah, Demeters do have Dumble like sounds, just not TGA-2 so far as I have come across (I havent heard TGA-2.1 yet but I have a TGA-2). And maybe not the Dumble sound that the Fuchs aims at, which is a later Dumble sound.

20. hasserl

hasserl Member

MYK's motives aside, I agree with him that the Demeter clips sound like crap. For a company as established as this those clips are pathetic! 2000 bills for that?!?!?!?!

Give me a freakin break.